Game Mechanics Weapon dyes and problems that come with it.

can it be done?

• yes it could work someway

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • no it is too complicated and hard to do

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Wafflw

Terrarian
I've always wanted to customize every thing on my characters in all the video games I play;including weapons. Weapon dyes would be awesome if say, for example,you wanted a black and orange Paladin's Hammer. All you would have to do in slap on a orange and black dye on right? Well no it would never be that easy because not all weapons are two colors,but there could be certain dyes that can be used like rainbow dyes, cosmic dyes, gold dyes, etc.

But this would be difficult to do for the reason that weapon sprites are much more complicated and detailed than armor sprites so weapon dyes are unlikely but what do you guys think? I would love to hear.

Well no it would never be that easy because not all weapons are two colors

Not all armours are two colours, either.

But this would be difficult to do for the reason that weapon sprites are much more complicated and detailed than armor sprites

Are they? I'm no spriter myself, but it can't be that more complicated. I thought dyes were just replacing certain colours, therefore it wouldn't be that difficult?

The only thing I can predict being difficult with coding weapons to be dyed is making weapons actually be able to be dyed, not how they should be coloured.

The difference between adding dyes to weapons and adding them to armor/accessories is the interface. Weapons appear on the item bar with no space for dye slots like the others have in the equip interface. You could add a row of dye slots above the hotbar interface, or put slots for dyes on weapon items (this could even make it possible to equip a weapon with multiple dyes). That would actually be pretty cool.

Couldn't there just be a dye slot next to the hotbar (when your inventory is opened) that automatically dyes any weapons/tools used that specific color? It wouldn't clutter up inventory much more than it already is, and while it doesn't allow for specific dyeing of things, is a simple-ish solution.

And how do dyes work, anyway? Are additional sprites needed for a specific dye, or are colors just replaced in-game without using different sprites? :confused:

disclaimer: armor sprites are far more complicated than weapon sprites.
Thanks for the clarification. Any ideas on how the dyes work though? Or should that be addressed to @Cenx?

I think it might just be the colors replaced, rather than a bunch of sprite in every spectrum of the world. Considering how some dyes don't work very well with some accessories/armor.

Thanks for the clarification. Any ideas on how the dyes work though? Or should that be addressed to @Cenx?

I think it might just be the colors replaced, rather than a bunch of sprite in every spectrum of the world. Considering how some dyes don't work very well with some accessories/armor.

You could add a row of dye slots above the hotbar interface, or put slots for dyes on weapon items (this could even make it possible to equip a weapon with multiple dyes). That would actually be pretty cool.

Couldn't there just be a dye slot next to the hotbar (when your inventory is opened) that automatically dyes any weapons/tools used that specific color?

I'm asking if you know about how the game handles dyes with armors right now
educated guess: terraria sprites are stored as .png files (in a compressed format, .xnb) and the dye system uses hue/saturation to change the colors of the images

Back
Top Bottom