Other Weapon/item wheel for PC/console

A weapon/item wheel-like system is currently being implemented for mobile Terraria. Why not also bring a system like this to consoles and PC - especially consoles? This is a no-brainer for consoles as it would allow the player to bring up many items at once without need for cycling through the entire hotbar. There's already a dpad hotbar, why not also a weapon wheel in similar vein to DOOM 2016 or the new Wolfenstein titles? Limit it to the hotbar, and make it toggle-able. This would surely be harder to implement in a game like Terraria for sure, but it's already working in Mobile screenshots. Now for PC. In this control setup the weapon wheel and scrolling system currently in place wouldn't have to be toggleable, as there are so many inputs on both mouse and keyboard. But I think there should be two types of wheels, one for regular mice and one for trackballs. I find the weapon wheel system in the new DOOM works much better with a trackball than it does with a normal style of mouse, but more extensive testing would be required to prove this. But for the normal style of mouse, I think bringing up the wheel would also center the cursor, and instead of the "console" right stick system for the wheel, the items and weapons would be selected by hovering over it with the mouse and letting go of the key, which I think should be Q by default (although I changed my keys so I forget what the defaults are and if Q is already taken up). I personally think this might be faster than using the scroll wheel if it's implemented correctly, and if not players could just use the scroll wheel and be just fine. It would take plenty of testing for sure, but if it's already working for mobile it would probably be implemented similarly on controller and keyboard and mouse, and especially on controller be beneficial.
Edit: I was poking around and Mega Man Maker actually has a pretty good favorites selection system being developed. I am in no way advertising the game; it's just an example of a visual representation of what I meant by this post. https://i.imgur.com/Ptyn4uE.gif

Last edited:
I can''t see how PC or even console has any need of this. Hotbar managment is a thing no matter what platform you're on, and it's unlikely you'll be using more than 3-5 weapons for various purposes anyway, if not only 1-2. Anymore and you're facing serious redundancy.

However, despite being unnecessary, it's a decent UI idea and there's nothing wrong with a mod.

Back
Top Bottom