Game Mechanics Weapon Levelling

nphelps220

Official Terrarian
I have an idea for levelling up weapons! Weapons can be levelled as many times as you want, shown by a small yellow number on the top left corner of their sprite icon. Each level makes the weapon deal damage equal to 1.5 times their original damage (and it stacks, so a level 3 Terra Blade deals 2 times as much damage, rounded down.) Any additional debuff durations will also be increased by half their original duration.
Weapons can be leveled by placing two of the same weapon in the three-slot menu of a Power Altar (15 Hallowed Bars plus 3 Souls of Blight, dropped by a "new" boss known as Ocram). A Soul of Blight must then be placed in the central Inventory slot of the Altar.

By levelling up a weapon, you can try to make it last as long as you possibly can. For example, you could take your Arkhalis into hardmode. This is because a lot of weapons look awesome and are awesome until a certain point, in which they become useless.

The problem with this suggestion is that terraria is DESIGNED so that older weapons become useless and must be switched out for better ones.

Also, I don't really understand what the "leveling" system is. You craft weapons with some hallowed bars and souls of blight and that just makes it better? That's not a leveling system, thats a poorly thought-out weapon upgrade system.

And you can do this AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT? Take the terra blade's damage of 95, multiply it by your damage multiplication value of 1.5, then 10 "levels" later you get a sword that does 5478 damage, about a billion times more than any other weapon in the game.

Also, ocram is a sin and should stay on console and mobile version and never spread to the PC version.

Last edited:
This is a pretty neat idea, but it's incredibly broken, especially the higher tier the weapon is. Say, a Terra Blade with twice the damage, though requiring high amounts of time investment due to its components, would shred through every enemy in the game I can think of with its already high speed combined with raw damage that would only get higher. Another thing is that Ocram is excluded from PC versions of the game because it's owned by 505 Games rather than Re-Logic.

The thing is, the damage doesn't double per level. Also, how about crafting it with one of a new SOUL dropped by the Moon Lord (1 drops per Moon Lord.) And itself, of course. The reason I designed this is because there are a lot of unique weapons that have real potential for adventure maps or kit-based PVP matches, such as Shortswords, only problem being that they are crappy in any combat scenario.
[doublepost=1483902473,1483901979][/doublepost]Alternatively, to match with a more often-used level system, a weapon levels up every time it is used to kill a certain number of enemies. The number varies on the weapon and its level. For example, Copper Shortswords require 10 kills for level 2, 20 for level 3, and so on. Meanwhile, a Last Prism requires 1,000 kills for level 2, 2,000 for level 3, and so on. That way, a weapon needs to see some use and hard work to level up.

Hmm. I like the idea of a Starbound-like system where older weapons can be scaled to be equal in damage to end-game weapons, making them viable in the end-game. Maybe something like weapon + Luminite Ore at Ancient Manipulator = upgraded weapon. Upgraded weapons would be competitive with weapons from Moon Lord / Martian Madness.

Of course, not all weapons should be upgradeable like this. E.g. we really don't need the ability to upgrade Ore short/broadswords. But maybe some special or end of crafting chain weapons could be upgradeable. E.g. Night's Edge, Breaker Blade and Flamarang. That's just a melee example; someone more experienced than me with ranged and magic could comment on those classes.

Disagree with general levelling though. I have a crapton of Hallowed Bars from farming for developer gear... I could theoretically make a Terra Blade that one-shots everything. :)

The Terra Blade already one-shots (almost) everything, by the way.

Also, the system should be too expensive to be useful for "regular" players. I can however see how useful it could be in special maps, or possibly challenges with a class system (for example, my "defeat all bosses with a specific class" challenge.) Or you could just have fun with it and kill the Moon Lord with a level 255 Copper Shortsword, because if you level it any higher the level will change to "0v3r4ch13v3r" and it will deal a random amount of damage anywhere from 1 to 999 because of the bugs.

Or you could just have fun with it and kill the Moon Lord with a level 255 Copper Shortsword, because if you level it any higher the level will change to "0v3r4ch13v3r" and it will deal a random amount of damage anywhere from 1 to 999 because of the bugs.
I feel like it would be cool if you were able to modify the stats of weapons, but only with mods that allowed you to obtain said item. The suggestion mentioned above is ridiculous, however.

It was supposed to be. It was a joke. Then again, Terraria has many items almost as ridiculous, like the Fart in a Jar...

It was supposed to be. It was a joke. Then again, Terraria has many items almost as ridiculous, like the Fart in a Jar...
But there are certain areas where there shouldn't be jokes in terraria, such as where it directly affects gameplay in an unbalanced way.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Level system was not a joke. However, I was not actually suggesting a level 256 overflow glitch; it was simply a joke and if that was added I would be kinda worried.

This idea is pretty broken, as almost everyone is saying as well, but another thing that is wrong with this idea is that a way better version of it is being designed for Terraria: otherworld, as we can see on the spoilers that the dev team were bringing to us, annd adding it to terraria too would make one of the otherworld most relevant thing not unique.

No. Tinkerer improves weapons that are good to be better. My system is to make crappy weapons that look awesome better.

An enhancement system wouldn't be such a bad idea, but there definitely needs to be a cap, and the percentage increase definitely needs to be lowered. I'd say at most, a +10 cap would be required, and there wouldn't be guaranteed successes, but instead possible degrades and/or resets on the weapon. And the beginning enhancement levels wouldn't give that much of a boost.

Example (fake stats, for example)

Arkhalis has 20 attack at +0 (100%)
at +1-2 it would be 21 (103% ~ 106% of base (0.6-1.2 rounded))
at +3 it would be 22 (109% of base (1.8 rounded))
at +4 it would be 23 (116% of base (3.2 rounded))
at +5 it would be 25 (123% of base (4.6 rounded))
at +6 it would be 26 (130% of base (6 rounded))
at +7 it would be 29 (145% of base (9 rounded))
at +8 it would be 32 (160% of base (12 rounded))
at +9 it would be 35 (175% of base (15 rounded))
and finally at +10 it would be 43 (215% of base (23 rounded))

It wouldn't be too overpowered, as the highest enhancement level only gives a 115% increase. The success rates would go down as the enhancement level goes up, and the risks of degradation and resetting to +0 would increase.

Your system was just slightly OP as applying a 50% increase per level would make endgame weapons way too overpowered, especially the Terra Blade, Meowmere, Last Prism, Phantasm, S.D.M.G., etc.

Back
Top Bottom