Weapons & Equip Weapon/Tool Dyeing

Do you like this idea?

• So-so. There are some things that are missing or that I would like clarified.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I do not support this idea and am able to explain why.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neoshadow Ω

Steampunker
So. We can dye our armor and our accessories, right?
Why not our tools?

I suggest that a dye feature be added for tools and weapons, sort of like shaders in Destiny 2. The dyes would be able to be applied to armors AND weapons/tools, but unlike Destiny 2, they would NOT be consumed.

The way I figure it could work is that the item description (the thing that shows when you highlight an item) has a little slot for weapons and tools, and you can equip a dye to that slot by having a dye selected and then right-clicking the weapon or tool. This could assign the dye to that weapon, and change its color.

Now, there are some catches to this. Any melee weapons that shoot projectiles would be affected by the color change, but their projectiles would stay the same -- say, the meowmere's cat-like projectiles; they would remain rainbow-colored, or the Terrarian's laser-balls; they would remain green. Any bullet shot by a gun would not have their color changed, nor would any arrows shot by bows. A dyed summon weapon itself, as well as the summoned npc, would have their color changed. A magic weapon like the Vilethorn would have its weapon and attack color changed. A Tome, like Crystal Storm, would have its tome and spell color changed. Magic Weapons with an item or effect shown when equipped -- such as Nebula Blaze or Nebula Arcanum -- would have the item/effect and spell colors changed. Any Gun-like magic weapons, like Bubble Gun or Heat Ray, would have their item and spell color changed. Any magic weapons with Staffs, like Betsy's Wrath or Meteor Staff, would have the Staff color changed, but not the spell.

For dyes with particle effects, the effects would show for certain dyes. Loki's, Hades (All variants), and Grim Dyes would not have their fire effects shown, as the physical appearance of the fire wouldn't exactly make too much sense for certain weapons (Like if you swing a sword, the fire wouldn't always be pointed up [which is how it'd work in real life]). Dyes that have particles coming off of them, like gel dyes and stardust dye (it sparkles) would have their particles shown.

So, that's it! If there's anything I missed, feel free to say so!

Last edited:
Oh I Love This Way Too Much To Put Into Words, But I'll Try Anyway.
Wait I Already Did.`:)
A Red And Black Terrablade Sounds Awesome.
Although, I Think it Should Be A Selection In The Equipment Menu, With All Weapons Being Affected.

I AGREE!!! Weapons need to be dyeable! Just one question, would the particles some dyes emit still go on the weapons? (Just one thing is this is a game mechanic, so I would go in game mecanics section)

I AGREE!!! Weapons need to be dyeable! Just one question, would the particles some dyes emit still go on the weapons? (Just one thing is this is a game mechanic, so I would go in game mecanics section)
So sorry for the late reply!

They would, in fact be applied, but only for certain dyes. Loki's, Hades (All variants), and Grim Dyes would not have their fire effects shown, as the physical appearance of the fire wouldn't exactly make too much sense for certain weapons (Like if you swing a sword, the fire wouldn't always be pointed up [which is how it'd work in real life]). Dyes that have particles coming off of them, like gel dyes and stardust dye (it sparkles) would have their particles shown.

I will add this bit to the OP, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

So. We can dye our armor and our accessories, right?
Why not our tools?

I suggest that a dye feature be added for tools and weapons, sort of like shaders in Destiny 2. The dyes would be able to be applied to armors AND weapons/tools, but unlike Destiny 2, they would NOT be consumed.

The way I figure it could work is that the item description (the thing that shows when you highlight an item) has a little slot for weapons and tools, and you can equip a dye to that slot by having a dye selected and then right-clicking the weapon or tool. This could assign the dye to that weapon, and change its color.

Now, there are some catches to this. Any melee weapons that shoot projectiles would be affected by the color change, but their projectiles would stay the same -- say, the meowmere's cat-like projectiles; they would remain rainbow-colored, or the Terrarian's laser-balls; they would remain green. Any bullet shot by a gun would not have their color changed, nor would any arrows shot by bows. A dyed summon weapon itself, as well as the summoned npc, would have their color changed. A magic weapon like the Vilethorn would have its weapon and attack color changed. A Tome, like Crystal Storm, would have its tome and spell color changed. Magic Weapons with an item or effect shown when equipped -- such as Nebula Blaze or Nebula Arcanum -- would have the item/effect and spell colors changed. Any Gun-like magic weapons, like Bubble Gun or Heat Ray, would have their item and spell color changed. Any magic weapons with Staffs, like Betsy's Wrath or Meteor Staff, would have the Staff color changed, but not the spell.

For dyes with particle effects, the effects would show for certain dyes. Loki's, Hades (All variants), and Grim Dyes would not have their fire effects shown, as the physical appearance of the fire wouldn't exactly make too much sense for certain weapons (Like if you swing a sword, the fire wouldn't always be pointed up [which is how it'd work in real life]). Dyes that have particles coming off of them, like gel dyes and stardust dye (it sparkles) would have their particles shown.

So, that's it! If there's anything I missed, feel free to say so!
I support, but man that would take alot of time to go through every weapon and make it compatible with tons of different colors.

Back
Top Bottom