PC Weaponized Boulder Hoiks 1.4

MothPrinceLucy

Official Terrarian
First post here so do forgive me if these things have been posted elsewhere before.

I've personally have been aware of boulder hoiks for quite some time. Though aside from 1.3 gimmicks like killing Duke Fishron with glitch abused bolder spamming(though that was fun to see) there wasn't much we could to that wasn't just as simple novelty as letting place boulders fall from actuated trapdoor.
With the addition of the boulder statue in 1.4 we now have a way to just spawn a possibly infinite number of boulders with a 15 second cooldown per statue.

While messing around with down hoiking boulders... which was ultimately pointless given how they pick up momentum rather quickly. I had thought and while messing around quite a bit and showing off these mechanics to a friend, I wanted to try an weaponize them. I figured that if times correctly and with a short enough hoik I could bring boulders up from underground and let them roll through a moat say filled with lava. This idea came mostly because my boyfriend and I are playing on a Master Mode ForTheWorthy world and we need as much help as we can muster from the world to help us with the coming festive moons.

Notes:

-I know the wiring could be better, but I made this build with this post in mind. I wanted to have all the wiring on screen to show the idea and let it be better understood.
-Also I would like to say that my understanding of Logic Gates end at what you see in these gifs, though I want to know more >.<
-I have tested a lot to get this working and can answer question as to how some of this works if there are any questions.
-I am aware that there are also better ways of doing this, but I wanted to bring up the idea. Yes you could just have a similar or simpler array of bolder statues at either end of an arena.
The attached gifs are of my aforementioned down boulder hoik test and the second is the concept for the arena boulder firing system...thingy.
Boulder Hoik test

Arena Boulder Hoik Example

Last edited:
I could never imagine that Boulders are affected by Hoik without breaking up :eek:, would it be possible to make them stay in a Hoik Loop, ie to create a continuous source of damage for any creature that may passes through it?

First, that looks awesome, regardless of functionality, it wins in style alone...
Second... How does this improve the weapon capabilities of he boulders... I'm not saying I don't think there is any, I'm just genuinely too stupid to know. Is it just the speed at which they are deployed, or...?

haha yesssss

I could never imagine that Boulders are affected by Hoik without breaking up :eek:, would it be possible to make them stay in a Hoik Loop, ie to create a continuous source of damage for any creature that may passes through it?

Any attempt to push a boulder backwards will, sadly, immediately break it. The only way to make a boulder stay on the field longer is to have it travel through a thick liquid block, and that is dubiously useful at best.

How does this improve the weapon capabilities of he boulders...
Primarily this just seems to let them build more speed before being launched into the arena. Since they're being launched from below, this is mildly safer for the player as well since you can properly control where they'll come from.

I just had to try this, but with a few more boulders. ;)

boulderCannon.gif

Well, normal boulders and rolling cacti may break in a horizontal hoik (because it sets their speedd to 0)
But bouncy boulders don't.
They will break after a certain ammount of bounces, bot goind directly from one hoik to another does not count as one.
all of that lets you do this:
boulder hoik.gif

Unfortunately that's not an infinite, because bouncy boulders break after one minute.

And while trying to make that loop, I also made this:
image.png

A static boulder with a hitbox.
I will start rolling again once the block is broken/actuated, so this might be a good way to stack them (if there ever was a need for that)

Well, normal boulders and rolling cacti may break in a horizontal hoik (because it sets their speedd to 0)
But bouncy boulders don't.
They will break after a certain ammount of bounces, bot goind directly from one hoik to another does not count as one.
all of that lets you do this:
View attachment 403358
Unfortunately that's not an infinite, because bouncy boulders break after one minute.

And while trying to make that loop, I also made this:
image.png

A static boulder with a hitbox.
I will start rolling again once the block is broken/actuated, so this might be a good way to stack them (if there ever was a need for that)
could you please fix the image for the static boulder w/ hitbox? i would like to see how it's made.

could you please fix the image for the static boulder w/ hitbox? i would like to see how it's made.
Well, how it's made is on the left.
Have the boulder roll in the invalid platforms (the initial block being hammered to point down and to the right), it sends the boulder into the block, and it stays there.

I should have probably mentionned that the platforms were invalid first...

Back
Top Bottom