• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Begin your search for Journey's End information here and here. Please report bugs and issues for Journey's End here.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.4 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Weapons; Modification And Naming

Be this a good idea?

• Total voters

Brigadier Bread

Steampunker
So...You've got a favorite weapon. Or a pickaxe, or an axe, or a hammer... but not really them...
What will you do when it becomes ineffective at helping you late-game, even with this new idea of "Leveling"

I've realized that in Terraria, there is a massive variety of tools of destruction, especially magic weapons.
What happens when your magic harp stops being helpful after you kill Plantera? Your absolute FAVORITE weapon?
So how much will this affect us in T:OW?

I think that there should be a way to dramatically increase the effectiveness of your weapon, possibly imbuing it with the damage; maybe even the speed or affect, of a much higher tiered weapon. I mean how cool would it be to have anything that you like, doing maybe 30-50% more damage? I do not know enough to name an example of a weapon from TOW but there are plenty from our original game. Say you like a grappling hook's looks more than another? like an ivy whip over a spooky hook? Extend the ivy whip, using the other, longer hook, to a certain degree.
Doesnt that seem really nice?
If we have a nice PvP system in TOW, how fun would it be to see " *BlahBlah* was massacred by *OtherGuy*'s Big Stick" show up in the chat? Name your favorite weapon for maybe a few gold, upgrade it for probably much more, and then enjoy killing things with what you want to kill with.

All of this could apply to both games Terraria AND T:Otherworld

I hope this idea isn't already posted.
Also vote.

Last edited:

Everybody

Terrarian
So...You've got a favorite weapon. Or a pickaxe, or an axe, or a hammer... but not really them...
What will you do when it becomes ineffective at helping you late-game, even with this new idea of "Leveling"

I've realized that in Terraria, there is a massive variety of tools of destruction, especially magic weapons.
What happens when your magic harp stops being helpful after you kill Plantera? Your absolute FAVORITE weapon?
So how much will this affect us in T:OW?

I think that there should be a way to dramatically increase the effectiveness of your weapon, possibly imbuing it with the damage; maybe even the speed or affect, of a much higher tiered weapon. I mean how cool would it be to have anything that you like, doing maybe 30-50% more damage? I do not know enough to name an example of a weapon from TOW but there are plenty from our original game. Say you like a grappling hook's looks more than another? like an ivy whip over a spooky hook? Extend the ivy whip, using the other, longer hook, to a certain degree.
Doesnt that seem really nice?
If we have a nice PvP system in TOW, how fun would it be to see " *BlahBlah* was massacred by *OtherGuy*'s Big Stick" show up in the chat? Name your favorite weapon for maybe a few gold, upgrade it for probably much more, and then enjoy killing things with what you want to kill with.

All of this could apply to both games Terraria AND T:Otherworld

I hope this idea isn't already posted.
Also vote.

YES. ALL OF MY YES.

This is great. You can name your weapon, and improve it. This would be great, except:
multiplayer
I mean, if you are hosting, lets say, a build server. you have a CTF section. You have 20 year olds, and 10 year olds, and kids and adults between and past that. And then....
Player has been massacred by player2's D:red2:. player2 's innerds became outerds by player 3's f:red2:er. And so on.
You say to yourself "people aren't that bad. Why would they do that?"
Because they can. You might think it's a joke, but I am a 9 month old tshock host. I have been on a CTF server for 6 months. People do it. And it's annoying to have to kick, ban, annoy, remind over and over and over again. It isn't fun, any more that griefing or spamming.
"But you can just make a filter"
Yes, we can. But that takes time. And guess what? people find a way to go around it. Instead of s:red2:er, they put shieter. Instead of f:red2:er, they put fudger. And so on and so on.
"who cares?"
any parent to any person under 16. And that is a lot of people. And not only is it not right, it can also get them in trouble. I know my 8 year old cousin got in trouble for swearing on a server. And were did he learn it from?
Idiots like the players I mentioned up there. And this would only get worse if this were added
For this reason, this cannot be added. It is a good idea in theory, but it just won't work in real life.

*Note to staff: all swearing was sensored, and was used to make a point, not attack or hurt anyone or anything

MinerTurtle45

Duke Fishron
This seems awesome, except for what Thaseus mentioned. How about it's like there's an option to turn off weapon names?

UnrealMarcello

Official Terrarian
1.Leveling Weapons will be introduced 2.as people said before there are idiots that would put f***er instead of Meowmere so it would be better to disable naming weapons on multiplayer because i see a bunch of people swearing for nothing so im 100% sure they wil put names like that on weapons.

ANTWANthePAWN

Terrarian
Haha.. It makes me wonder how filters are implemented. Alright guys today's project is the swear filter, so, what curse words do you all know? On topic though, it could be a fun addition if done correctly. Kinda like weapon/tool evolution. Not only does it level up but it literally changes. Then once youve gained the next level's looks you can swap between previous looks. Naming it should require something though, maybe reaching max level. I got a bit in depth there haha.

waffleyone

Terrarian
Multiplayer item renaming problems could be completely solved by having both server and client side settings to disable custom item names. (Server side: Do not display custom item names, display 'default name*'. Player side: Do not display other players' custom item names.) I think it is a cute concept.

As far as infusing one weapon with the power of another, I could definitely see something along the lines of "consume target weapon [of same type] to infuse base weapon", converting speed/damage/knockback to [base * .3 + target * .7] or something like that.

Top Bottom