tModLoader Weapons of Mass Decoration

JereTheJuggler

Spazmatism
Weapons of Mass Decoration
Now Available for 1.4!

Summary:
This mod's goal is to provide methods of painting that are both faster and more fun to use!​
Many different painting weapons and ammunition are available to use, with each spreading paint in their own unique way!​
In addition to the weapons there are many custom paints, including rainbow, flame, blue flame, green flame, grayscale and more!​
Ever wondered what a purple Eye of Cthulhu, a negative Zombie, or a rainbow Duke Fishron would look like?​
Well now you do! And this mod will let you find out! Enemies that you hit with painting weapons will also become painting in whatever color of paint you're using!​
There's even an additional Chaos Mode that adds in many zany new features that will help spread paint far and wide!​
(Note: this is turned off by default and needs to be enabled in the mod's config)

6rA0vQ6.gif
HFNiSko.gif

Steam Workshop Page:

GitHub:
Hey, this mod is open source and well documented! You can view my GitHub repository here: JereTheJuggler/WeaponsOfMassDecoration

Change Log:
2022 Jul 4 - Version 1.4.0.2:
  • Re-added Spray Paints
  • Added Artist NPC
  • Added Color Emblem accessories
  • Added Rewards Program accessory
2022 Jul 2 - Version 1.4:
  • Now migrated to tModLoader for Terraria 1.4
  • Temporarily removed Paint Laser
  • Temporarily removed Spray Paints
2020 Dec 19 - Version 1.3.1.2:
Fixed 2 oversights from the 1.3.1 update​
  • All custom paints are derived from a base item that I forgot to modify the max stack size for, so all the custom paints had a max stack size of 1. This is now fixed and they have a max stack size of 999
  • Fixed a typo when adding recipes for the Paint Laser that made it so the recipe using the amethyst staff had the cobalt/palladium bars added to it twice, and the recipe with the topaz staff didn't have any cobalt/palladium bars
2020 Aug 4 - Version 1.3.1.1:
  • I forgot to push to master before publishing I mean bug fixes... yeah... bug fixes...
2020 Aug 4 - Version 1.3.1:
Not a huge update as far as added content is concerned, but a massive overhaul occurred within the code for the mod​
  • Made a small tweak to the Party Girl for Chaos Mode
  • Added an icon for the mod!
2020 Aug 2 - Version 1.3.0.4:
  • Fixed a pretty bad bug that caused consumable items (including placeables) to always be consumed whether they were actually used or not. Sorry for any items that might've been destroyed by this
  • Added Chaos Mode features for Paladins, Diabolists, Clowns, and Eye of Cthulhu
  • Added Chaos Mode death effects for players, town NPCs, and most vanilla bosses
2020 Aug 1 - Version 1.3.0.3:
  • Finally figured out why my projectiles could only produce white light since version 1.2. Light colors now match the color of the projectile
2020 Aug 1 - Version 1.3.0.2:
  • Apparently I need to test more before releasing updates. Fixed an issue that caused the spray painted shader to not apply properly
2020 Aug 1 - Version 1.3.0.1:
  • Fixed an issue with negative paints not rendering things correctly
  • Fixed an error caused by trying to send packets in single player
2020 Aug 1 - Version 1.3:
  • Added chaos mode, where enemies that you paint can also send paint back at you - This is an option in the config that is turned off by default
  • Most projectiles that would previously snap to different colors now have a smooth transition
  • Multiplayer compatibility... finally...
  • Added the ability for inventory items to change their appearance base on the current paint color and tool being used
  • Added functionality for the vanilla painting tools to use custom paints, and take advantage of the Artist's Palette accessory
  • Added lines to the tool tip that tells you what the current paint color and tool are for every painting item
  • Added Team Paint. Sold by the painter in multiplayer
2020 July 26 - Version 1.2.1.2:
  • Fixed a part of the Painting Multi-Tool that was making it paint blocks and walls that were empty
2020 July 25 - Version 1.2.1.1:
  • Added a missing "!" that made it so the weapons do half damage while you can paint instead of the other way around. Whoops
2020 July 25 - Version 1.2.1:
  • Major optimization and code consolidation
2020 July 24 - Version 1.2:
This update contains a lot of content I had made shortly after v1.1 that I never got around to releasing, as well as a few completely new things as well​
  • Added Spray Paints
  • Added Splatter Staff, Paint Shuriken, Splatter Bullets, Tempera Bouncer, Paint Laser, Hack 'n Splash, Endless Paintball Pouch, Endless Paint Quiver, Endless Splatter Bullet Pouch, Infinite Throwing Paintbrush, Infinite Paint Solution, and Infinite Paint Shuriken
  • Made all weapons deal 1/2 damage if the first painting tool in your inventory is a Paint Scraper or if no paint is in your inventory
  • Turned the Painting Multi-Tools into actual weapons
  • Redid the painting enemies to now use shaders instead of just changing the draw color, which gives a much better result for the normal paints and allowed me to make a special shader for enemies hit with spray paints
  • Enemies painted with the special color changing paints will now have a smooth transition between colors instead of abruptly switching every second
2017 Dec 17 - Version 1.1:
  • Added Flame, Green Flame, Blue Flame, Yellow Gradient, Cyan Gradient, and Violet Gradient Paints along with their Deep versions and Grayscale Paint
2017 Dec 16 - Version 1.0:
  • Original Release
  • Added Paint Multi-Tools, Artist's Palette, Rainbow Paint, Deep Rainbow Paint
  • Added Paintballs, Paint Arrows, Paint Boomerang, Paint Bombs, Paint Dynamite, Paint Staff, Throwing Paintbrushes, Paint Solution

CHAOS MODE:
Note: This is turned off by default!
Chaos Mode is an optional mode that you can turn on in the config for the mod. In this mode, enemies that you paint with your weapons can do their part to help color your world. This is meant for people who want to see just how colorful their world can get.

The following enemies are currently the only ones that are affected by this mode:
  • All slimes (no, gastropods don't count)
  • Goblin Archer and Blue Cultist Archer (single player only for now)
  • Angry Nimbus
  • Sand Elemental
  • Tactical Skeletons, Pirate Deadeyes, Pirate Captains, Elf Copters, and Santa-NK1
  • Diabolist
  • Paladin
  • Clown
  • Eye of Cthulhu
There are also special Chaos Mode effects that happen when players, town NPCs, and most vanilla bosses die.

Try painting those enemies in game to see what kind of stuff I'm going for, and then feel free to suggest more ideas.

Items:
Paint Multi-Tool:
ckbiwrb.png

Paints both blocks and walls at the same time. Only uses 1 paint even if both are painted in a single use.

• Crafted at a Dye Vat with 1 Paint Brush + 1 Paint Roller

Spectre Paint Multi-Tool:
A9TVoj1.png

Paints both blocks and walls at the same time. Only uses 1 paint even if both are painted in a single use. +3 range.

• Crafted at a Dye Vat with 1 Spectre Paint Brush + 1 Spectre Paint Roller

Accessories:
Artist's Palette:
oTUeURn.png

Accessory. While equipped, paint will not be consumed
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with 999 Deep Rainbow Paint + 15 Pearlwood
Rewards Program:
lNU6pBU.png

Gives a 20% discount when buying paints and paint related items.
  • Purchased from the Artist
Color Emblems:
Yy7TBeG.png

Each emblem is crafted starting with a Blank Emblem. The blank emblem can be purchased from the Artist.
Each emblem allows you to give enemies different debuffs when you paint them with the emblem's color. For example, painting enemies green while wearing the Green Emblem will also inflict the enemy with poison!

Custom Paints:
For all of these custom paints, they are not truly new colors, but instead they have the ability to change colors while you are using them!​
Most of these paints cycle through a list of colors depending on the game's internal clock, with a few exceptions.​
Each of the previews on the left were created by walking right to left at a steady pace while shooting Paintballs upwards with an SDMG. Each of the previews on the right were created by haphazardly firing Paint Arrows from a Chlorophyte Shotbow at different angles from the point I'm floating in the pictures.

Flame Paint:
ld1t62s.png

Cycles back and forth through Red, Orange, and Yellow Paint.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with Red, Orange, and Yellow Paint (1 each)
THrInaM.png

Deep Flame Paint:
bTRPra3.png

Cycles back and forth through Deep Red, Deep Orange, and Deep Yellow Paint.
Crafted with:
  • Red, Orange, and Yellow Paint (2 each) at a Dye Vat
  • Deep Red, Deep Orange, and Deep Yellow Paint (1 each) at a Dye Vat
  • 2 Flame Paint at a Dye Vat
Qyrcjdt.png

Green Flame Paint:
nJKbL5U.png

Cycles back and forth through Green, Lime, and Yellow Paint.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with Green, Lime, and Yellow Paint (1 each)
GeptKqQ.png

Deep Green Flame Paint:
urAwPNj.png

Cycles back and forth through Deep Green, Deep Lime, and Deep Yellow Paint.
Crafted with:
  • Green, Lime, and Yellow Paint (2 each) at a Dye Vat
  • Deep Green, Deep Lime, and Deep Yellow Paint (1 each) at a Dye Vat
  • 2 Green Flame Paint at a Dye Vat
K9JDV1A.png

Blue Flame Paint:
0vMfENX.png

Cycles back and forth through Blue, Sky Blue, and Cyan Paint.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with Blue, Sky Blue, and Cyan Paint (1 each)
tg3Bxi5.png

Deep Blue Flame Paint:
lHZXOdG.png

Cycles back and forth through Deep Blue, Deep Sky Blue, and Deep Cyan Paint.
Crafted with:
  • Blue, Sky Blue, and Cyan Paint (2 each) at a Dye Vat
  • Deep Blue, Deep Sky Blue, and Deep Cyan Paint (1 each) at a Dye Vat
  • 2 Blue Flame Paint at a Dye Vat
FBNwvGt.png

There are some walls that it looks good on, but the Deep Sky Blue is really hit or miss.

Yellow Gradient Paint:
37J5Tj7.png

Cycles back and forth through Orange, Yellow, and Lime Paint.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with Orange, Yellow, and Lime Paint (1 each)
OV1qUTi.png

Deep Yellow Gradient Paint:
TAngxzn.png

Cycles back and forth through Deep Orange, Deep Yellow, and Deep Lime Paint.
Crafted with:
  • Orange, Yellow, and Lime Paint (2 each) at a Dye Vat
  • Deep Orange, Deep Yellow, and Deep Lime Paint (1 each) at a Dye Vat
  • 2 Yellow Gradient Paint at a Dye Vat
k1x5HCZ.png

Cyan Gradient Paint:
E0sKkR5.png

Cycles back and forth through Sky Blue, Cyan, and Teal Paint.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with Sky Blue, Cyan, and Teal Paint (1 each)
zWb4WUZ.png

Deep Cyan Gradient Paint:
B4xtiip.png

Cycles back and forth through Deep Sky Blue, Deep Cyan, and Deep Teal Paint.
Crafted with:
  • Sky Blue, Cyan, and Teal Paint (2 each) at a Dye Vat
  • Deep Sky Blue, Deep Cyan, and Deep Teal Paint (1 each) at a Dye Vat
  • 2 Cyan Gradient Paint at a Dye Vat
ZX27kf6.png

There are some walls that it looks good on, but the Deep Sky Blue is really hit or miss.

Violet Gradient Paint:
l6ReMc9.png

Cycles back and forth through Purple, Violet, and Pink Paint.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with Purple, Violet, and Pink Paint (1 each)
XMQ8AqC.png

Deep Violet Gradient Paint:
3Kz2WWY.png

Cycles back and forth through Deep Purple, Deep Violet, and Deep Pink Paint.
Crafted with:
  • Purple, Violet, and Pink Paint (2 each) at a Dye Vat
  • Deep Purple, Deep Violet, and Deep Pink Paint (1 each) at a Dye Vat
  • 2 Violet Gradient Paint at a Dye Vat
r6fcEI0.png

Rainbow Paint:
Q2hgq24.png

Loops through Red, Orange, Yellow, Lime, Green, Teal, Cyan, Sky Blue, Blue, Purple, Violet, and Pink Paint.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with Red, Orange, Yellow, Lime, Green, Teal, Cyan, Sky Blue, Blue, Purple, Violet, and Pink Paint (1 each)
pVtn7SC.png

Deep Rainbow Paint:
uSaWD1S.png

Loops through Deep Red, Deep Orange, Deep Yellow, Deep Lime, Deep Green, Deep Teal, Deep Cyan, Deep Sky Blue, Deep Blue, Deep Purple, Deep Violet, and Deep Pink Paint.
Crafted with:
  • Red, Orange, Yellow, Lime, Green, Teal, Cyan, Sky Blue, Blue, Purple, Violet, and Pink Paint (2 each) at a Dye Vat
  • Deep Red, Deep Orange, Deep Yellow, Deep Lime, Deep Green, Deep Teal, Deep Cyan, Deep Sky Blue, Deep Blue, Deep Purple, Deep Violet, and Deep Pink Paint (1 each) at a Dye Vat
  • 2 Rainbow Paint at a Dye Vat
QSm4gML.png

Grayscale Paint:
jBZbNDB.png

Cycles back and forth through White, Gray, Black, and Shadow Paint.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with White, Gray, Black, and Shadow Paint (1 each)
B0Om6pj.png

Team Paint:
HOshKZd.png

Changes color to match the team the player is on.
  • Sold by the Paint in multiplayer
Deep Team Paint:
cbtccx3.png

Changes color to match the team the player is on.
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with 2 Team Paint

Weapons & Ammunition:
For all of these items, determining which color paint to use works the same way as the vanilla tools. Furthermore, the painting method is determined the same way looking for the normal painting tools. If a Paint Brush is first, only blocks will be painted. If a Paint Roller is first, only walls will be painted. If a Multi-Tool is found first, both blocks and walls will be painted. If a Paint Scraper is first, paint will be removed from both blocks and walls.
These weapons will also do half damage if you run out of paint or if the paint scraper is the first painting tool found in your inventory.

Paintball & Endless Paintball Pouch:
rmKskYe.png

A bullet that will paint along the path it's fired on.

• Sold by the Artist while the Arms Dealer is present
ihJd1kS.png

• Crafted at Crystal Ball with 3996 Paintballs

Paint Arrow & Endless Paint Quiver:
9O65I86.png

An arrow that will paint along the path it's fired in. When it hits a block, the paint will continue to pierce into the surface (distance depends on the speed of the arrow).

• Sold by the Artist
kRoRNK1.png

• Crafted at Crystal Ball with 3996 Paint Arrows

Splatter Bullet & Endless Splatter Bullet Pouch:
6ZnpQRL.png

A bullet that splatters backwards when it hits a wall or an enemy
  • Crafted 50 at a time at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil with 50 Paintballs and 1 Grenade
rg6tnGx.png

• Crafted at a Crystal Ball with 3996 Splatter Bullets

Paint Bomb:
oivi6Cv.png

A bomb that will bounce off the first surface it hits and explode on the next, coating the surrounding area with paint.
  • Sold by the Artist

Paint Dynamite:
fH7HJnH.png

Dynamite that will explode after 7 seconds, coating the surrounding area with paint.
  • Sold by the Artist

Throwing Paintbrush & Infinite Throwing Paintbrush:
pH0Ua0C.png

A paintbrush that will paint along the path it's thrown on and splash multiple drops of paint when it hits a surface.
  • Sold by the Artist
Infinite Throwing Paintbrush uses the same sprite
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with 999 Throwing Paintbrushes

Paint Staff:
5ykGvn8.png

A staff that will paint along the path it's fired on and splash multiple drops of paint when it hits a surface.
Crafted with:
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with 1 Amethyst/Topaz Staff + 1 Paint Brush + 1 Paint Roller + 1 Paint Scraper at a Dye Vat

Paint Boomerang:
qJYDp51.png

A boomerang that will paint along the path it's thrown on. Can stack up to 3.
Crafted with:
  • 1 Enchanted Boomerang + 1 Paint Brush + 1 Paint Roller + 1 Paint Scraper at a Dye Vat
  • 1 Ice Boomerang + 1 Paint Brush + 1 Paint Roller + 1 Paint Scraper at a Dye Vat

Paint Solution & Infinite Paint Solution:
ul5DGGR.png

Used by the Clentaminator. Paints along the path it's fired on. Passes through blocks.
  • Sold by the Artist while the player is carrying a Clentaminator
BOOJAUe.png

• Crafted at a Dye Vat with 999 Paint Solution

Paint Shuriken & Infinite Paint Shuriken:
VYq9Jvg.png

A shuriken that will paint in a shuriken shape along the path it's thrown.
  • Sold by the Artist
Infinite Paint Shuriken uses the same sprite
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with 999 Paint Shuriken

Paint Laser: [Temporarily removed for 1.4]
GjHrcXj.png

Fires a ricocheting beam of paint
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with 1 Amethyst/Topaz Staff, 5 Cobalt/Palladium Bars, 1 Paint Brush, 1 Paint Roller, 1 Paint Scraper

Splatter Staff:
8DReftL.png

Casts a bolt that travels to the cursor and creates a splatter of paint
  • Crafted at an Anvil with 1 Paint Staff + 1 Paint Bomb

Hack 'n Splash:
gemZ4Vi.png

A sword that lobs a large glob of paint through the air, leaving a large smear of paint behind
  • Crafted at a Dye Vat with 1 Gold/Platinum Broadsword + 10 of any base color of paint

Tempera Bouncer:
vpEcpkO.png

A spell tome that shoots out bouncing blobs of paint that leave a trail of paint behind them
  • Crafted at a Bookcase with 1 Spell Tome, 1 Paintbrush, 1 Paint Roller, 1 Paint Scraper, 5 Souls of Light, 5 Souls of Night

Below are a few questions I have that I would appreciate some feedback on, as well as some general things I'd just like to see
  • Are any of the weapons too powerful? Do any of them need a buff?
  • Does the mod lag at all for you?
  • Some interesting combinations I've found for these new bullets and arrows are with Daedaus Stormbow and Xenopopper (specifically firing and positioning your mouse in the middle of the bubbles, so they scatter wildly). What are some other cool combinations?
  • Another concern I have is the recipe for the Artist's Palette. Is it too easy to make for how powerful it is?
  • Got any more ideas for Chaos Mode?
  • Share some of your own artistic creations!
n1VhK2J.png
Unleash your inner Terrarian Jackson Pollock

Last edited:
This looks freaking awesome. These are great ideas, and the clentaminator is now the best way to spread paint across large areas. I'd probably try making a Splatoon PvP map using this idea. And yeah, I'd love to see special animated paints just like the dyes. I love it.

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning mod!
Now let me get this out there, the ability to create chaotic pieces of art with simply shooting the chain gun for a second and sprinkling arrows a bit can make terraria so much more...colourful

P.S: Would love a "chaos" setting with bosses exploding in paint :3

Last edited:
For the Artist's Pallette's "paint will not be consumed" do you still need at least one of the paint in your inventory?

Please add a mod description and icon for the Mod Browser, this mod would do better with those. Also, in experience, YouTube videos load better than .gif images. The .gif images in the thread take ages to load.

Would it be possible to add an accessory that when equipped will make all projectiles paint? Ex. Yo-yos that paint, Terra Blade projectiles that paint
Also, could you please add paint rockets? 2 types - Rocket I and Rocket III that will paint like a bomb but shot from rocket related weapons?

[doublepost=1559924732,1559924708][/doublepost]
For the Artist's Pallette's "paint will not be consumed" do you still need at least one of the paint in your inventory?
Yes, pretty sure

Do the projectiles and bombs still do damage? As I saw this mod my first thought was to start a Mad Painter playthrough with your stuff but it'd be pretty much pointless if they didn't deal damage.

Updated to Version 1.2!

Finally after around 2 1/2 years!

This update contains a lot of content I had made shortly after v1.1 that I never got around to releasing, as well as a few completely new things as well
  • Added Spray Paints
  • Added Splatter Staff, Paint Shuriken, Splatter Bullets, Tempera Bouncer, Paint Laser, Hack 'n Splash, Endless Paintball Pouch, Endless Paint Quiver, Endless Splatter Bullet Pouch, Infinite Throwing Paintbrush, Infinite Paint Solution, and Infinite Paint Shuriken
  • Made all weapons deal 1/2 damage if the first painting tool in your inventory is a Paint Scraper or if no paint is in your inventory
  • Turned the Painting Multi-Tools into actual weapons
  • Redid the painting enemies to now use shaders instead of just changing the draw color, which gives a much better result for the normal paints and allowed me to make a special shader for enemies hit with spray paints
  • Enemies painted with the special color changing paints will now have a smooth transition between colors instead of abruptly switching every second
Check the first post for a full change log.

Last edited:
Updated to Version 1.3!

HFNiSko.gif

This update contains fixes for a lot of the old issues, as well as adds a lot of cool new features for enhanced visuals and ease of use. Oh, and I almost forgot... CHAOS MODE
  • Added chaos mode, where enemies that you paint can also send paint back at you - This is an option in the config that is turned off by default. Check the first post for more info.
  • Most projectiles that would previously snap to different colors now have a smooth transition
  • Multiplayer compatibility... finally...
  • Added the ability for inventory items to change their appearance base on the current paint color and tool being used (as shown in the gif above)
  • Added functionality for the vanilla painting tools to use custom paints, and take advantage of the Artist's Palette accessory
  • Added lines to the tool tip that tells you what the current paint color and tool are for every painting item
  • Added Team Paint. Sold by the painter in multiplayer
Check the first post for a full change log.

Last edited:
I tried the latest version available on tmodloader, but the vanilla tools are unnafected by the Artist's Palette, only the multitool works with it, and what I wanted to do looks really bad painting the wall and block at the same time, and for some reason none of the paint scrappers work without having paint in the inventory :/

Sadly mod is unusuable with these bugs for me

Nevermind, it was another mod conflicting with it, and me being stupid blaming the latest mod I installed

Last edited:
Updated to version 1.4.0.2. New (and re-added) features include:
  • Re-added spray paints
  • Added an Artist NPC that now sells everything that I previously had other NPCs sell. He moves in along with the Painter.
  • Added new Color Emblem accessories that allow you to give debuffs to enemies if you paint them with a matching color. For example, enemies painted green while wearing the Green Emblem will inflict them with poison!
Check the first post for more information and a full changelog!

I haven't tried ðe mod yet but ðe paint palette and oðer infinite items seem too easy to make. Changing ðe recipes to 4 stacks instead of one sounds good, ðough I realized while typing ðis ðat it makes very little difference. If I player can buy 1000 of an item ðey can probably afford 4000.

Back
Top Bottom