Weapons & Equip Wearing armor breastplates from the opposite gender

Mille Marteaux

Empress of Light
I don't know if this actually fits in "equipment" and I don't know if this has been brought up before, but it's something that's bothered me lately so I decided to go through with it.

I'd like to have the option of wearing "male" armor on female characters, and vice versa. Many of the female armors have either cleavage windows or amount to a metal bikini top. While there are a few armors that are fine, such as Beetle and Shroomite, they still emphasize the bust (in the way that a small pixel character can) when armor wouldn't need to be specifically designed to do that to begin with. Considering that male characters can already wear the wedding dress, the dyrad costume, and the nurse costume, I think it'd only be fair.

Managing set bonuses would be a potential nightmare if you had to keep up with all of the armor types though, so my suggestion of implementing it is fairly basic, if not heavily bloating the item count: Armor piece + mannequin/womannequin at either an anvil or tinkerer's workshop = forced gender armor vanity item.

As an example, Hallowed Plate Mail + Mannequin = Male Hallowed Plate Mail. Yeah, it'd be possible to nuke an actual armor piece by doing this, but it'd be a little difficult to do on accident since most players only make mannequins when they're going to immediately use it.

That's just my two cents, anyway. I know you can create Gender Change potions, but if I'm playing a female character and wearing full armor I'd like to be able to hear the female damage sounds. It's just nitpicky.

Last edited:
the way that the "female" armor is designed in game is actually dangerous irl. especially the necro armor. plus, it looks dumb. I want to have the option to play a female character without the stupid emphasis on "female parts"
In all fairness, this is a fairly common thing in fantasy settings - designers want to focus on femininity for the male gamers to have something to focus on, or whatever stylized choice they want to use to "justify" it.

In all fairness, this is a fairly common thing in fantasy settings - designers want to focus on femininity for the male gamers to have something to focus on, or whatever stylized choice they want to use to "justify" it.
yeah, but this is a 2D pixelated sandbox style game.

Then I wonder, why did they've done that? If it's just for those tiny pixels, why would they have implemented that anyway?

About the topic itself, I can agree with it, It's not like I bother too much with a few pixels, but I understand if others can be bothered about.
...Okay, I'm indeed bothered by the looks of the female hallowed armor though >_>

That didn't stop Metroid from including the second loop where Samus is without her suit. What matters is the general image of it, the human mind's imagination is generally very powerful and somebody determined enough can form a vivid mental image out of everything.

On that note, you are now imagining a giraffe eating leaves. You are now also aware of your tongue.

E:
the hollowed armor? but no one cares about the necro armor?
It's the same concept, the breastplate turns into what's effectively just a battle bikini.

Then I wonder, why did they've done that? If it's just for those tiny pixels, why would they have implemented that anyway?

About the topic itself, I can agree with it, It's not like I bother too much with a few pixels, but I understand if others can be bothered about.
...Okay, I'm indeed bothered by the looks of the female hallowed armor though >_>
the hollowed armor? but no one cares about the necro armor?

Sadly it won't be aproved to any of Terraria updates sadly (to you), I can't do mostly anything about it much. As @Lazure said on T(erraria)O(nline) these armors aren't battle bikinis, but only Breastplate like halloweed armor.
To be honest I am fine with it, you might think I sound very strange, I am stupid or something more and worse. You can't move, run or you can only slowly move when you are trully fully armored like knight in medival?
Problem isn't that they look like bikini or sorf of but only showing skin which kinda to somebody can push off their imagination somewhere else.

I kinda see problems with it like with Gypsy Robes and Kimono and other like that that have different legs + torso. Legs at these were hard coded, so might cause little problems with it.
What about rather add something different like under-armor? No it is not armor but something clothing that keep you warm, which replace you skin. This option will be chooseable only at dresser. Three part to show: arms (no hand becuse it isn't costume), torso and legs. Each of them you can pick colours on your own, separatelly, original colour is black (or white). They look different on male and female characters, because I don't think it is very good idea to give booth gender same under-armor look, I don't like transgender characters, they are kinda like nightmares and it is why I don't like when male characters wear weeding dress and princess costume, I find it very and very strange.

I heard one mod where you could switch to male armors when you are female character, same goes to male characters if I know correctly, but is outdated.

We can be have we don't have more ridiculous looking female armors which can't be counted as armor.

these armors aren't battle bikinis, but only Breastplate like halloweed armor.
Honestly, because it's just the breastplate, that makes it even tackier somehow.

You can't move, run or you can only slowly move when you are trully fully armored like knight in medival?
This is a video game. Male characters don't move any slower when fully armored, and female characters don't move any faster when they have less armor on. I think we can look past this for the sake of the game keeping its sense of momentum, this isn't Dark Souls where your equipment has actual weight to it.

I kinda see problems with it like with Gypsy Robes and Kimono and other like that that have different legs + torso. Legs at these were hard coded, so might cause little problems with it.
They're sprite sheets. Looking at the resources, they're divided up like this:

Head
Body
Arms
Legs

The body category of images is the only one that has a second set for female characters. They otherwise pool from the same set of images.

Here is a very small piece of Armor_Body and Female_Body, for Hallowed armor.
30ybmEP.png

They take up the exact same dimensions, 28x22. Knowing this, it would be even easier (in theory) for this to be implemented, since it'd just be a flag you could change at a dresser to choose between which set of body armor sheets to choose from. Mind you, I have no idea how difficult it is to work with XNA. The furthest my experience goes is GBA Pokemon's arbitrary scripting language, and I never did anything too fancy in that.

The further I look into this rabbit hole, the easier it seems. There is support for this, as minor and silent as it is, and the fact that there has been a mod that does this is further proof that it's doable, but I would really prefer being able to do this without having to mod my client.

Mind you, I have no idea how difficult it is to work with XNA. The furthest my experience goes is GBA Pokemon's arbitrary scripting language, and I never did anything too fancy in that.

If I have a correct assumption about how this is coded, it would be incredibly easy. Which sprite is drawn is based on which gender the player is, if you instead base it on a new variable that you can switch independently yourself, you're done.

That of course would mean that male characters would be able to wear 'female' armour as well. Just like it makes little sense for female characters to walk around in armour that barely (if at all) covers the vital organs, it wouldn't make much sense for male characters to walk around in armour that has room for (or actually draws the skin of) breasts, which they usually do not have.

That of course would mean that male characters would be able to wear 'female' armour as well. Just like it makes little sense for female characters to walk around in armour that barely (if at all) covers the vital organs, it wouldn't make much sense for male characters to walk around in armour that has room for (or actually draws the skin of) breasts, which they usually do not have.
Who cares? Let them wear what they want. Anybody playing a female character that would want this feature would love to have it, and anybody playing a male character that would use this feature would likely only do it for a crude joke for about ten minutes.

Here's some examples, even! I realized this is as simple as modifying files in the client.

Hallowed
F using M | M using F
xLsdP2K.png
|
bLYi1qq.png

No big deal.

Crimson (this is where I put more effort in)
Male/Male Male/Female
8WIAIfK.png
wKDewFR.png

WIth dyes and accessories
eOeNxN8.png
tYPXUyZ.png

Female/Male Female/Female (forgot to hide wings)
axEHysm.png
qFd3CfM.png

With dyes and accessories
SOWiSj7.png
6vVPzVX.png

"Just mod your client, you already showed you could do so for this!"
I don't want to mod my client. I want any player to be able to customize their character and have that particular vanity set show up to other players without everybody needing the same mods. Considering how easy this was to do, however, I'll probably end up making the file edit for my friends...

"It's barely noticeable with accessories!"
Only if you're using a visible shield. Besides, the player knows what they're wearing.

I think the biggest problem is, like Kazzy said, the breasts themselves will be visible on the male character. Which would look kind of awkward.
Though I guess you could say he has moobs?

Who cares?

I do. Men simply don't have breasts like females do. This simple change could have very unfortunate implications.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you would want females to be able to use male sprites, in fact I share your desire. But giving men breasts creates a bigger problem than that it solves, as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is not about transvestism, I have no issue with that. It's about male players actually gaining female body features.

I do. Men simply don't have breasts like females do. This simple change could have very unfortunate implications.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why you would want females to be able to use male sprites, in fact I share your desire. But giving men breasts creates a bigger problem than that it solves, as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is not about transvestism, I have no issue with that. It's about male players actually gaining female body features.
so long as people don't act like perverts, this really shouldn't be a problem. honestly, you don't even have to give males the option to wear female armor

Back
Top Bottom