Map-Adventure Wectenebray, a Corruption Adventure Map with Story Breadcrumbs

Darkstar01

Official Terrarian
Wectenebray: a land cursed with the scourge of Corruption, and hiding a dark secret. Follow in the footsteps of the expedition team that came before you, as you come ever closer to solving the mystery of the Corruption. The object of the map is to craft the Mechanical Worm and defeat the Destroyer.

Features:
Non-linear progression:
Explore as much or as little as you like. Simply find the item required to surmount the next obstacle, or explore areas more thoroughly to acquire better gear and additional story tidbits.

Story breadcrumbs: A variety of signposts exist throughout the world. Some simply offer directions or tips, but many are logs from those who traversed the world prior to your arrival. Piecing together these clues is essential to understanding the world's lore, and is occasionally helpful in solving the map's puzzles.

Unique Boss Arenas: Some of the bosses in the map are fought in pre-built arenas. These unorthodox arenas may provide a more unique fighting experience.

Core Terraria elements: While digging and building are generally disallowed (as with many adventure maps), they are still retained to a degree, with unrestricted building around spawn, and permitted digging of various materials such as ores and gemstones. Rather than having all gear given through treasure chests, many items can only be obtained via crafting, helping to retain the overall Terraria feel, while still maintaining the rules necessary to make an adventure map work.

Map length:
It is difficult to precisely pin down the length of the map, as everyone plays at their own pace, and since I already know everything about the map, my own run times will be a little biased, but, for me, a I managed to speedrun the map in just under four hours, and doing the map at a fairly relaxed pace with 100% completion took a little over nine hours. As I said before, since I already know everything about the map, you can expect that your own run times will be longer than these.

The rules:
-The objective of the map is to craft the Mechanical Worm and defeat the Destroyer-

-Use a new character for the map-

WITH REGARDS TO DIGGING AND BUILDING
1. You are generally disallowed from any digging (including bombs/dynamite), building, cutting of trees, breaking of objects, etc, unless otherwise stated.
2. There are no restrictions on building, digging, tree cutting, etc. within the Legal Building Area, which is defined as the area enclosed by (but not including) the brown bricks around spawn. While the bricks don't go above the ground, you are allowed to build all the way up to the top of the map. within its horizontal boundaries
3. You may only use a pickaxe or drill for mining outside of the Legal Building Area, and a hammer or hamaxe for breaking Orbs/Altars.
4. Regardless of location, you may dig up/destroy: All ores (including Meteorite), All gemstones, Obsidian, Desert Fossils, sand blocks created by Antlions, Demonite Brick created by the Wall of Flesh, Snow blocks created by the Frost Legion, your tombstone, dye plants, coral, seashells, coin stashes (if you don't know what those are, look on the Terraria wiki), Shadow Orbs, Heart Crystals, Altars, Crystal Shards, emptied treasure chests, and anything that can be destroyed by a normal weapon (e.g. cobwebs, grass, vines, herbs, etc.)
5. You MAY dig up small amounts of other blocks (except the tower's walls) in hardmode if necessary in order to extract randomly spawned hardmode ores. You may dig through a moderately large amount of blocks to reach the ore if you are in the hellevator.

WITH REGARDS TO PROGRESSION
Prior to breaking at least one Shadow Orb, you may NOT:
1. Use non-vanity items acquired from NPCs (other than the regular Merchant), Goodie Bags, Presents, or Fishing Crates
2. Use the item 'Hook' in crafting
3. Summon the Goblin Invasion
4. Use the item 'Slime Hook'

Note that you may still acquire non-vanity items from these sources early, so long as you only use them after breaking at least one Shadow Orb.

1. You may not use ore/bars obtained from crates or slime bonus drops until you have acquired at least 12 bars of the ore in question (or a superior ore) from another source
2. You may not use the item 'Worm Food' prior to breaking at least three Shadow Orbs
3. You may not use the Reaver Shark for mining until you have acquired at least 56 Hellstone.
4. The Destroyer does not count as defeated until you have crafted the Mechanical Worm at least once. Defeating the boss through another method and then crafting the summoning item after the fact will still satisfy the win condition.

OTHER
1. If a signpost 'banishes' certain items (this only happens once) then you cannot use those items beyond that point, with the ban ending when another signpost 'unbanishes' them.
2. You cannot change an NPC's assigned housing until you have spoken to that NPC at least once.

CAUTION: This isn't a rule, but just a word of warning; timers are automatically set to 'off' when the world is loaded, so if the security system in the Old Hideout is on when you leave the world, the door will be sealed when you return, with the traps off. Pulling the lever at this point will unseal the door, but leave the traps on, potentially killing you and NPCs. To avoid this, manually activate the timer while the doors are sealed to turn on the traps, and then pull the lever to deactivate the whole system at once

You can get the map here: https://terraria.curseforge.com/projects/wectenebray
You can find hints and the author's note on the 'pages' tab of that page, and view (somewhat) updated screenshots from the 'images' tab.

Credit to Zuazzer and MKCapsule for beta testing.

Credit to BinaryConstruct for developing TEdit, which was used extensively in the construction of the map.

And credit to Re-Logic for making Terraria itself.

It seems that I'm not going to get any advice on this without asking directly, so here I go.

I'm mostly done with this map already (started well before I joined here), but there are a few things that have been bugging me. Basically, since I haven't had any outside input whatsoever on this map, I have no idea if I've somehow left a glaring flaw somewhere.

First, I'd like to ask about the rules for the map. I had a very specific, and (in my mind) mostly intuitive ruleset planned, but I don't know how easy it is to follow for others. Could you tell me if this is too complicated, and how I might improve it?
With Regards to Digging and Building:
1. You are generally disallowed from any digging (including bombs/dynamite, removal of liquids), building (includes Sandgun firing and placing of liquids), cutting of trees, breaking of objects, etc, unless otherwise stated.
2. There are no restrictions on building, digging, tree cutting, etc. within the Legal Building Area, which is defined as the area enclosed by (but not including) the brown bricks around spawn. While the bricks don't go above the ground, you are allowed to build all the way up to the top of the map within its horizontal boundaries
3. You may only use a pickaxe or drill for mining outside of the Legal Building Area, and a hammer for breaking Orbs/Altars.
4. Regardless of location, you may dig up/destroy: All ores (including Meteorite), All gemstones, Obsidian, Desert Fossils, sand blocks created by Antlions, your tombstone, dye plants/herbs, coin stashes (if you don't know what those are, look on the wiki), Shadow Orbs, Heart Crystals, Altars, emptied treasure chests, and anything that can be destroyed by a normal weapon (e.g. cobwebs, grass, vines, etc.)
5. You MAY dig up small amounts of other blocks in hardmode if necessary in order to extract randomly spawned hardmode ores.

With Regards to Progression:
Prior to breaking at least one Shadow Orb, you may NOT:

1. Use non-vanity items acquired from NPCs (other than the regular Merchant), Goodie Bags, Presents, or Fishing Crates
2. Use the item 'Hook' in crafting
3. Summon the Goblin Invasion

Closing some loopholes:
1. You may not use ore/bars obtained from crates or slime bonus drops until you have acquired at least 12 bars of the ore in question (or a superior ore) from another source (including bars crafted from the ore)
2. You may not use the item 'Worm Food' prior to breaking at least three Shadow Orbs
3. You may not use the Reaver Shark for mining until you acquire at least 60 hellstone.
4. The Destroyer does not count as defeated until you have crafted the Mechanical Worm at least once. Defeating the boss through another method and then crafting the summoning item after the fact will still satisfy the win condition.

OTHER
1. If a signpost 'banishes' certain items (this only happens once) then you cannot use those items beyond that point, ending when another signpost 'unbanishes' them.

If the ruleset didn't make this clear, the map contains minable ores that can be used in crafting, but also awards other loot via treasure chests. Some higher tier materials are used to block paths until a stronger pickaxe is acquired. In other cases, movement accessories open up opportunities for progression. And, occasionally, more unorthodox progression barriers are implemented. The map is designed in such a way that if the rules are followed, then there won't need to be any explicit progression blocks (e.g. simply being told not to progress until beating a boss) because it won't be possible to get through early with the items the map provides.

The whole story breadcrumbs thing is basically that there are signposts in various areas that give tidbits of the backstory. You can ignore most of these if you don't care about the story, but a couple of them provide clues on how to progress.

I might as well post some screenshots, too, right? I don't have any crazy gorgeous builds on this map; it's my first map and I hope to improve in the future. However, if there is anything in these screenshots that looks questionable, please let me know.

The Old Hideout.png

Grasslands Cavern.jpg

Some Caverns.jpg

Sinister Snowplains.jpg

Mysterious Tower.jpg

Underground Jungle.jpg

This description and such is just used for the feedback thread here. I'll modify it for the final release.

Last edited:
Looks great! The rules are far more specific and detailed than most other maps I have seen.

I could have sworn I hit "watch thread"... I would have replied earlier otherwise.
Looks great! The rules are far more specific and detailed than most other maps I have seen.

Okay, so you see the specificity as a positive thing. I was just worried that it might seem too complicated or overbearing to some people (despite the fact that something simple like "no digging/building" would actually place more restrictions than my ruleset). Do you think the rules are mostly intuitive? (e.g. generally obvious you shouldn't dig up the map, but if there are ores about it would be obvious that you could dig those, etc.)

Doesn't make my brain explode:confused:. Quite simple, really. They make a lot of sense, and provide for a potentially very good map. All I would recommend is that in key areas where rule following may be an issue, I would put signs there as reminders because there are a lot of rules to remember.

The enviromental builds look really cool, especially the grassland cavern and the snow plains.

If outside imput is needed you might wanna get a Beta-tester or two. Just ask someone who seems interested (pro tip: I am).

The enviromental builds look really cool, especially the grassland cavern and the snow plains.

If outside imput is needed you might wanna get a Beta-tester or two. Just ask someone who seems interested (pro tip: I am).
The only problem is that I'm 95% done with the map, basically just ironing out the wrinkles now. I was already maybe 70% done when I posted this, since I had been working on it before I joined the forums.

That being said, it might still be useful for someone to test the polished version just to make sure that there aren't any glaring errors I've become blind to, and that the puzzles are reasonably designed. I've made sure that the solutions actually work, but whether or not determining such solutions is reasonably possible for someone who didn't design them is something I can't actually confirm without a second opinion.

Another thing would be the overall difficulty level. I didn't intend for it to be particularly challenging (not easy, per se, especially in some late parts, but not hard either), and I've tested it with minimalistic loadouts to see if it was still beatable, but I have 1000+ hours in the game, so what is simple or obvious to me may not be so to the average player.

In short, I don't know if I need outside input, but if I did, I wouldn't expect to know something was wrong, which would be the whole point of getting a second opinion. Since you offered, I just might let you test it, but not right now. I still need to rework some of the puzzles, since I only recently learned that yo-yos can activate pressure pads, which trivializes several puzzles and allows you to break progression at one point. Since I'd rather not ban yo-yos explicitly, I'm currently designing workarounds.

If anyone is interested in testing it, I guess you could PM me. I check this site fairly often, but I can't guarantee I'll be available all of the time.

I've run around in a handful of adventure maps lately, I'd be happy to beta-test your map as well!
I'm a sucker for story too.~:confused:

I've run around in a handful of adventure maps lately, I'd be happy to beta-test your map as well!
I'm a sucker for story too.~:confused:
In that case, I'll PM you the link to the beta map.

For the record: I won't be accepting any more beta testers after this point. I don't want a bunch of people beta testing it, only to have no one left over to play it when it's finished. Thank you for your understanding.

I've played through the map; just now beat the Destroyer and I have this to say:

This map was a lot of fun! There need to be more adventure maps like this one - non-linear, less strict digging/building rules, exploration encouraged, etc. It stays true to much of the core gameplay of Terraria and that is why it works so well. Admittedly I didn't read too much into the story, but it looks like a lot of thought went into the history of the map, and I can respect that.

That said, I do have a couple of criticisms I'd like to address. If you look at the minimap, it's obvious that much of it was constructed using blobs and brushes MS Paint style and then edited on top of that. And there's nothing inherently wrong with that; I just feel like a bit more effort could have been spent making the caverns look more natural. The structures and more complex areas were very well done, however. What I guess I'm saying is that the map design is not fully consistent.

There weren't a lot of areas I disliked, with one major exception: the snow/corruption area. It looks like a vanilla-generated Terraria cavern was copied wholesale and pasted into the map with some find/replace shenanigans. Which would be perfectly fine, but the problem I have with this is that the area is needlessly convoluted and there is nothing to find. I spent about an hour exploring the zone before giving up. I had to open the map in Tedit just to make sure, and I was right. No ore, no chests, just a bunch of twisty little passages that are either dead ends or go in circles. For a map that likes to add side passages that usually contain at least some form of justification for taking them, this is kind of a jarring contrast. I'd either add some treasure or make the area less complicated.

Another problem: I ended up getting stuck at one point. I had explored every (obvious) nook and cranny that was within reach and was quite confused as to where and when I was supposed to fight the Eater of Worlds. Frustrated, I opened the map in Tedit and...
that is when I discovered the platforms leading up to the corrupted castle. I am well aware that my desktop resolution is significantly lower than that of the average gamer, so I can't really blame you for putting the platforms (that are intentionally too far away to reach without progressing a good amount) outside of my view. Still, it might be wise to consider making accommodations for players with lower resolution. No need to move the platforms, just better indicate that they are there. Even something as simple as a sign saying "Hey try looking up and to the left" would have been a great help - I always feel guilty having to open an adventure map in an external editor just to find out what I'm missing. Perhaps if you make more maps in the future, have one of your beta testers play the map with a lower resolution. You'd be surprised how much of a difference in perspective it makes.

In case you're curious, the build I had at the end of the game was full Spider armor, and mostly stock accessories including a Moon Charm (got lucky and had a blood moon during a full moon, did I mention having built-in defenses around the starting base was a stroke of genius?). My main weapons were Excalibur and a Flamethrower, a Magic Dagger, and of course the Spider Staff. Fun fact, Skeletron Prime spawned on me one night and I decided I was ready for the challenge, so I headed to the tower and it was a REALLY long fight, so long that the night ended and Prime gave me one of his classic "heartfelt goodbyes." But I had him down to about 5000 HP, so I tweaked my gear and tried again the next night, this time beating him much more quickly. Good thing too, the Flamethrower was an extremely handy weapon against the Destroyer. Consider this paragraph proof that I had a good time with this map :L

Anyway, in short, love the idea of the map, and the execution was surprisingly spot-on save for a few glaring flaws. I think it's safe to say this map is easily one of my favorites I've ever played. And I've played a lot of adventure maps. Well done man, your map deserves a lot more attention than it's getting. I shall eagerly await the inevitable sequel!

There weren't a lot of areas I disliked, with one major exception: the snow/corruption area. It looks like a vanilla-generated Terraria cavern was copied wholesale and pasted into the map with some find/replace shenanigans... No ore, no chests, just a bunch of twisty little passages that are either dead ends or go in circles. For a map that likes to add side passages that usually contain at least some form of justification for taking them, this is kind of a jarring contrast.
Yeaaaah... that's basically what it is. :sigh: In retrospect, it would have been better to put the information about there being no ore or treasure at the entrance, rather than just before the end.

Perhaps if you make more maps in the future, have one of your beta testers play the map with a lower resolution.
Ah, yes. I had looked carefully to make sure that things you weren't supposed to see (like logic gates) weren't on-screen at higher resolutions, but it apparently hadn't occurred to me to make sure that things you were supposed to see would be on-screen at low resolution. I will definitely need to test that in any future map(s). Thanks for pointing that out.

I am definitely going to try this map!

While I love linear adventure maps, trying out a sorta-linear sorta-not one will be super cool.

(I may not get around to playing it for a few days, though, because I need to do some stuff in a different world and then I will be camping for a few days.)

Okay, I am not done, but I have a bit of input on the parts I have done.

I just beat the Wall of Flesh (I had forgotten how easy that fight is on Normal Mode), and I am now exploring some Hardmode content. I have found a couple issues.

-First, there is a well-hidden Shiny Red Balloon. I found it, and combined it with my Cloud in a Bottle. It made the parkour in the Final Graveyard way too easy.
-Second, I was glad for that. The parkour was kind of punishing, and I felt like quitting more than once, but I did eventually power through.

Anyway.... I really like this map, and I am looking forward to checking out the rest of the Underworld and taking down that Destroyer!

Okay, I am not done, but I have a bit of input on the parts I have done.

I just beat the Wall of Flesh (I had forgotten how easy that fight is on Normal Mode), and I am now exploring some Hardmode content. I have found a couple issues.

-First, there is a well-hidden Shiny Red Balloon. I found it, and combined it with my Cloud in a Bottle. It made the parkour in the Final Graveyard way too easy.
-Second, I was glad for that. The parkour was kind of punishing, and I felt like quitting more than once, but I did eventually power through.

Anyway.... I really like this map, and I am looking forward to checking out the rest of the Underworld and taking down that Destroyer!
Technically speaking, you were supposed to use the Cloud in a Bottle provided in the box for that part if you had already combined the other one, but I understand that part is challenging, and I'm pretty sure some other people have resorted to grappling hooks before the final chamber. Admittedly, that part was very difficult for me to balance properly, as it kept coming out way too difficult, and I had to keep making it easier until it was no longer sanity-robbing.

It was supposed to be noticeably more difficult than the rest of the map, so I felt like I had to skirt the edge of "really hard" to achieve that. However, I acknowledge that it might still have been overly difficult for the average player or, you know, anyone who didn't literally design the thing.

Technically speaking, you were supposed to use the Cloud in a Bottle provided in the box for that part if you had already combined the other one, but I understand that part is challenging, and I'm pretty sure some other people have resorted to grappling hooks before the final chamber. Admittedly, that part was very difficult for me to balance properly, as it kept coming out way too difficult, and I had to keep making it easier until it was no longer sanity-robbing.

It was supposed to be noticeably more difficult than the rest of the map, so I felt like I had to skirt the edge of "really hard" to achieve that. However, I acknowledge that it might still have been overly difficult for the average player or, you know, anyone who didn't literally design the thing.
I didn't see the box with the Bottle in it. Whoops.

Back
Top Bottom