Game Mechanics Weighting the Probability of Unacquired Boss Drops (Reducing Boss grinding)

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
Essentially, when dealing with the pool of either/or loot that a boss randomly selects and drops one of, the probability of a boss to drop any one item which is not present on that world will be twice as great as the probability of it dropping any one item that is. (This would also apply to smashing Shadow Orbs and Crimson Hearts for their treasure.) Since Queen Bee has just three items in this pool, I'll use her as an example.

When a player kills Queen Bee for the first time, the probabilities are all at an even 33.3% chance, because they are all equally weighted:
  • Bee Gun - Weight 2 - Probability 33.3%
  • Bee Keeper - Weight 2 - Probability 33.3%
  • Honey Comb - Weight 2 - Probability 33.3%
If a Bee Keeper is already present on that world, then its weight is reduced to 1, and the probability now looks like this:
  • Bee Gun - Weight 2 - Probability 40%
  • Bee Keeper - Weight 1 - Probability 20%
  • Honey Comb - Weight 2 - Probability 40%
This way, the player is very likely to obtain an item they have not seen yet. If there is also a Honey Comb present, it would be:
  • Bee Gun - Weight 2 - Probability 50%
  • Bee Keeper - Weight 1 - Probability 25%
  • Honey Comb - Weight 1 - Probability 25%
This would give them a fair chance of getting the Bee Gun in upcoming battles.

Feedback is appreciated. If you think this would help you, let me know!

Last edited:
No, but the odds would be heavily against that happening. Weighted drops would make that even more absurdly uncommon than it already is.
Most of the time, is something bad has a 10% chance of happening to me it will, and if it's good, a 99.9% chance is not even close to being helpful. I haven't had that problem with this game... yet.

I can say that I have definitely been wishing for a way to obtain new drops rather than the same one many times in a row. Me and a friend got 5 Sun Stones in a row, but not a single Picksaw. I'd also like slightly better odds at getting The Axe after grinding Plantera for a while, even if it's just an increase from 0.5% to 2%.

I'd also like slightly better odds at getting The Axe after grinding Plantera for a while, even if it's just an increase from 0.5% to 2%.
Well, lucky for you, the developers thought of that already. That change was added to 1.3 quite a while ago. :)

Though it is a great idea (one I, and I'm sure many others, have thought about), I still think the big reason that there are complaints about RNG boss drops is due to people's stubbornness.

I mean, for Duke Fishron we have Razorblade, Bubble Gun, Flairon, Tsunami and Tempest Staff. Four out of those five weapons will decimate anything, yet people always have to have the one they have their sights one.

I think if we were to change boss drops, it would simply go back to the crafting method ala what the Mechanical Bosses do. That beats both what we have now for some bosses and this.

ahhh this would make getting things like the honeyed goggles a lot more easy. It took me forever to get the goggles the first time.

Back
Top Bottom