Console What are your thoughts on Console 1.3 so far?

Matthew Devenish

Spazmatism
So this probably applies to PS4 players more than it does XBONE, but oh well.

Anyway, title says it all. What are your thoughts and opinions on 1.3 so far?

For us it's a completely new experience, even though it's been out on PC for a while. There's so much that's been changed since the previous update, but it's been changed for the better (imo). Personally I am loving the update. It's a little hard at first getting accustomed to the new controls, but after that it's just as natural as playing before. I think the only thing I can complain about is that a sensitivity option should be added for the cursor, since it's a little slow moving the cursor in manual sometimes.

Anyway, tell me what you think ↓

I was able to solve my problem with the control change and was playing today..I have to say the game update is great I really got into an Eclipse event today and enjoy the new content like animated coins and seemingly smoother controls. I have had no problems or bugs as of yet but I am still sure I am going to accidentally delete my Terrablade at some point..lol.

Does anyone have a guide as of where to start now in the game with character advancement after being near endgame in 1.2?

Another thing that was fun was advancing with a purchase on steampunker wings, way cool.:)

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has a guide on that. I just went into a new 1.3 world, looted everything that I could and then gathered accessories and weapons from there. The Solar Eruption and Daybreak are so overpowered in this update XD

I think it's great now that I'm used to the new menus. My only problem I'm having is that when using dyes acquired from strange plants causes any hooks, items that are thrown, or projectiles (arrows bullets ect.) Are completely invisible.
So be cautious when using those dyes.
Has happened on two different characters and worlds and I can't fix it
=(

It's a trashfire from both a technical standpoint and in the changes they've made to the game. The changes to the controls and UI come off as thoughtless unnecessary changes that serve no purpose and simply make the game less intuitive and easy to use, and show a lack of consideration for console as a platform and the specific requirements of the platform (such as being able to actually see anything from a couch or in splitscreen at all).

Perhaps (and hopefully) it will significantly improve in future updates, but the problems they have introduced are so fundamental to the new version that those changes are going to take a very long time (if ever, many of the issues don't seem to be acknowledged as issues such as the awkward and inadequate PC UI). But for the time being the game has been so thoroughly broken by the update that it may as well have deleted the game from my ps4.

I was able to solve my problem with the control change and was playing today..I have to say the game update is great I really got into an Eclipse event today and enjoy the new content like animated coins and seemingly smoother controls. I have had no problems or bugs as of yet but I am still sure I am going to accidentally delete my Terrablade at some point..lol.

Does anyone have a guide as of where to start now in the game with character advancement after being near endgame in 1.2?

Another thing that was fun was advancing with a purchase on steampunker wings, way cool.:)

You can favourite items in your invo, and that stops you from being able to delete them using square.

If you're end game 1.2 and have a good class setup then the next step would be the celestial events. Get fragments from the tower that matches your preferred class (ie solar tower for melee) and you can make yourself a good strong weapon (or two if you're lucky)

If you feel like trying the alien invasion then getting a cosmic car key from the ufos can be very helpful.

I would also suggest trying out the early stages of an expert world. Some of the treasure bag items can be useful.

As of today, the game is suffering from numerous bugs that make the game impossible to progress/play. The goblin invasion message I have seen over 100 times in 3 different worlds and not being able to acquire the tinkerer is problematic for progression to say the least. The underworld freezes the game for 2-4 seconds every 20-30 seconds I spend there (fiance also, on a separate ps4) which would make exploring/fighting wall of flesh impossible.

I have enjoyed the changes (at least the ones I could experience!) overall and really hope they can get the game working proper before I shelve it and move on to other attractions!

Pros:
- finally being able to play 1.3 content on a console.
- better item animations.
- better NPC animations/functions.
- integrates the in-game PC version achievements along with PS4 trophies.
- It is the full Terraria experience.

Cons:
- I preferred the beautiful lighting effects of the console graphics. They are no more.
- Confusing button map options.
- Unfortunately long load times introduced.
- Navigating the PC UI is simply awful to do on the PS4 controller.
- Items in chests totally re-arranged. Some are just plain gone.
- Bugs galore.
- the fact that players had no choice in the matter.

Last edited:
As of today, the game is suffering from numerous bugs that make the game impossible to progress/play. The goblin invasion message I have seen over 100 times in 3 different worlds and not being able to acquire the tinkerer is problematic for progression to say the least. The underworld freezes the game for 2-4 seconds every 20-30 seconds I spend there (fiance also, on a separate ps4) which would make exploring/fighting wall of flesh impossible.

I have enjoyed the changes (at least the ones I could experience!) overall and really hope they can get the game working proper before I shelve it and move on to other attractions!

I'm sorry but the 1.3 update is not impossible to play/progress. I have every expert mode item, and I have completed every event numerous times. This was done with a new character and new worlds, with nothing from before the update carried over. It is entirely playable.

Granted there are lags and bugs, but come on, they rewrote the game from scratch so there are going to be issues.

I'm sorry but the 1.3 update is not impossible to play/progress. I have every expert mode item, and I have completed every event numerous times. This was done with a new character and new worlds, with nothing from before the update carried over. It is entirely playable.

Granted there are lags and bugs, but come on, they rewrote the game from scratch so there are going to be issues.

I am sorry, but just because you aren't experiencing the game breaking bugs my fiance and I are, doesn't invalidate that they do in fact exist, and are in fact making the game unplayable for us.

Had they rewrite the game from scratch they would have been more proactive in the approach of testing it. You know, like user feedback, aged and new PS4 testing, 4k and varied distance/viewing options. Everyone would have said "Keep the touch pad zoom function".

I've experienced the glitches with the underworld, Martian Invasion and hallowed invasion glitches where the screen freezes, item deletions, multiplayer map deletion. And the most frustrating one, was having the update hit without notice. Now I can't okay across PS3/Ps4. So my kids, yep now we are doomed to restart. And they won't now, they hate the UI.

Not sure how the experience for you means everyone else's is. Bugs and issues are random and varies for everyone. While some specific ones can happen across many players, there's some that happen in small, but notable numbers

I have had plenty of bugs, don't get me wrong. Items going missing, freezes, many many crashes, etc. I disagree that it is unplayable. I don't know, maybe play style makes a difference.

I don't really do arenas and traps so my fighting areas pretty minimal; a flat area with a few useful bits of furniture. Playing like this tends to give me less glitches, especially during events.

I'm not saying the bugs aren't there, but I haven't encountered one that makes the game unplayable. Most bugs can be avoided (maybe not some of the multiplayer ones) or at least mitigated, and I'm now on my second playthrough.

So this probably applies to PS4 players more than it does XBONE, but oh well.

Anyway, title says it all. What are your thoughts and opinions on 1.3 so far?

For us it's a completely new experience, even though it's been out on PC for a while. There's so much that's been changed since the previous update, but it's been changed for the better (imo). Personally I am loving the update. It's a little hard at first getting accustomed to the new controls, but after that it's just as natural as playing before. I think the only thing I can complain about is that a sensitivity option should be added for the cursor, since it's a little slow moving the cursor in manual sometimes.

Anyway, tell me what you think ↓
I would like to be able to have my thought but xbox 1.3 is so far down the list of priorities for release i am still wondering if its coming ive already lost all my hype for it and am tenpted to just quit terraria because of it i have picked up alot of other new games that i love so much more and actually have updates

I agree with it not being un-playable. (That's too many negatives.) Even though there are bugs, I was able to get up to and beat the Moon Lord several times. That means it's very playable.

Console 1.3 is a disaster. 4 player splitscreen is basically impossible now. The new UI is ridiculous to use with a controller.
There has been absolutely zero consideration given to the user experience on console here, all for the sake of parity with the PC version.

It is shameful, and I say this as someone who owns Terraria on four different platforms.

Just want to be able to exit without saving to bring AIW hosting back (Moonlord is hard btw... and I want that gear!)

I like the Content. But I don't like the Ui changes Or the map and lighting changes. The Previous stuff worked fine for console. It was silly to get rid of that stuff. I bought the console version to play the console version not the pc version.

I went and bought the disc version so I can play without this update

Though there's slight performance issues the amount of new content blurs the bugs out. I haven't seen any other bugs than performance issues so you can tell Pipeworks polished the game a lot.

Back
Top Bottom