What categories of chest are in your "quick deposit" chest area?

ShadowTiger

Duke Fishron
Suppose you have a large area full of chests in your home base near your crafting area which contains the area where you dump literally any item, block, drop, (etc) that you collect in your travels for sorting and later usage or crafting. Literally, everything.

It'd have to be pretty darn big, and it'd have to be well organized.

How do you organize this system of chests on your end so you ensure that every category is represented? How do you ensure that there isn't any overlap, or if you have overstock of something you have a place to put that too? How do you ensure that you minimize excessive movement so you're in and out quickly?

For example, closest to the entry point, I have a few chests for mob drops and standard world drops, like gel, lenses, shark fins, cobwebs , pink gel, stingers, vines, jungle spores, bones, goblin fabric, etc - Stuff that doesn't really fit into any other category but is still frequently used in crafting.

Then chests for ammo. Thrown, explosives, arrows, and bullets, all in order of how often I find them in the world.

Then Mechanics related stuff. Pressure plates, dart traps, and all the other mechanical stuff.

Then Fishing chests. I don't go fishing all that often.

Then, on the row above, Four chests for Potions, with reserving two horizontal spaces for a stack of potions next to each other. I.e. 30 Recall Potions, 30 Recall Potions, 30 Hunter Potions, 30 Hunter Potions, etc.

Then three Cactus chests (Because they're green.) for Herbs. The left one contains potion herbs, and the right one contains vegetation stuff, like acorns, mushrooms, all the seeds, cactus, sunflowers, etc.

These are only examples. My actual list is far larger. I just don't have the time to type it all out. :p

So how do you remember what chests you still need to make room for, anyway? That's where I always fail. I have to make a list one of these days.

Last edited:
Seems like the biggest thing you're missing from your list are:
-placeable blocks
-weapons,
-accessories, and
-Vanity enemy/boss drops (like masks and trophies)

although you're quick stacking so maybe you handle weapons more delicately.

I cluster chests towards the entrance by how common the item is in filling up my inventory, as well as putting together chests that need to be used together. So I keep my ore chest and my crafting materials chest next to each other and both next to a furnace, anvil and workbench (I usually put a hardmode ores chest and harmode materials chest in the ground below the pre-hardmode ones). I usually keep an herb chest next to a fish chest and place an alchemy table between them. I keep shadow scales, spores, stingers, vines, bones and obsidian in the ore chest because they behave like ores for much of crafting.

I usually have to make 3 different weapon chests (pre-Hardmode, Hardmode, and another hardmode one starting with Pumpkin Moon) and two accessory chests; I throw away any duplicates.

One thing I started doing that's been a lot of fun is to buy a dye vat and make a dye chest and to only store dye-making items in their dye form (so never putting a yellow marigold in a chest, instead turning it into yellow dye and storing it).

I make a row of chests, 1 chest for each 'category' of item, if 1 chest gets full I place another chest directly above it to store more items of that category.
My categories are:
Weapons
Clothes (armor and vanity)
Accesories
Dyes
Blocks
Furniture
Miscellaneous

Materials are stored in a chest near the crafting area (crafting bench, furnace, anvil).

Alchemy materials, food, and potions are stored in the alchemy area (alchemy table, sink, cooking pot).

End game materials are stored in their own chest next to the ancient manipulator.

I always have one row of 5 chests under all my crafting stations.

First is for ores, closest to the furnace.
Then "Materials", basically enemy drops and whatever you can collect that isn't a herb.
Then potion materials and potions (in case of modded runs, these two are separated)
Then just building blocks and furniture.

After that i have 1 or 2 chests for weapons and accessories i'm no longer using. Armors go in Mannequins.

Also, my base never has two chests of the same type. Using a different look for every category is more fun.

I put chests for ores and bars right aside a furnace and an anvil, put chests for potions and herbs alongside an Alchemy Station and use dressers for vanity, dyes and accessories.

It's not perfect, but it does the trick for now.
Storage system.jpg
For the most part I can access the contents of chests while in reach of the relevant crafting station, and mostly I can drop off loot with just standing on the platform beneath the void vault. Jump up to the vault or piggy bank to pick up more, go down (UI thing closes due to out or range) --> quick stack to chests. Had to use some extra chests here and there to the right, but don't often have to go there anyway. Forgot a chest for trophies, but can always just use the third vanity chest for the few I get. Otherwise I think most things are covered. Probably a risk of running out of space again if I move this save into hardmode.

The chest in my bedroom (above the bride that I always confuse for a zombie, haha) contains "quick" items that I need when going fishing or herb farming, like bait, fishing accessories and a staff of regrowth (there is a greenhouse slightly out of view to the right of the house).

Of course I could just sell a bunch of duplicate items that I don't need, like the 10+ extractinators, but probably won't bother with that until I get problems to store stuff. Money is a complete non-issue in the game anyway, already in pre-hardmode.

To me this setup has been a reasonable compromise between HOARD EVERYTHING and usability. Banners+Statues+Paintings probably won't cut it, but I can always add another row beneath them if it gets too bad. Or sell off the lot :D

Last edited:
I always have at least 9 chests, one for each kind of item that I store. I have one for each of the following: blocks and walls, materials, weapons, accessories, ores and gems, plants and mushrooms, potions (can include food), armour, and other items that don't fit in those categories (such as block-placing wands, tools like paintbrushes, paint scrappers, and sickles, and keys). If I have room I include more chests to be more specific, such as fish, food, boss and event summons, and extra crafting stations.

I never seem to build big enough storage buildings, and I'm too lazy to expand them, so whenever a chest gets full I just sell some of the stuff in it.

I don't. With the exception of a herb/potion chest near my Alchemy table, I just place a bunch of unnamed chests in a line and dump everything.
Pretty much the same
I’ve only ever had one playthrough where I actually sorted my chests bases on what’s in them
It’s bad because I lose stuff all the time but laziness will prevail

In my current playthrough (for the worthy master mode), I have ~20 chests, which is around the amount I've usually got anyway. They're divvied up using my usual system, which is as follows.
  • Soft natural blocks (dirt, clay, sand, etc, and fallen stars because that makes sense)
  • Hard natural blocks (stone, ice, wood varieties, so on and so forth)
  • Ores & gems (this will later include life crystals)
  • Mob drops
  • Hardmode drops (this is gonna be empty for a while since I haven't even killed Brain of Cthulhu yet (it's also not something I've thought of until this playthrough))
  • Boss drops
  • Tools (includes non-potion consumables)
  • Accessories (except cell phone parts, which go into the piggy bank)
  • Potions
  • Wire-related items
  • Fishing-related items
  • A miscellaneous chest for stuff I'm not sure what to do with
  • Construction materials
  • Decorative stuff
  • Five chests I'm not sure what to do with just yet
  • A chest for crafting stations nearby since my workshop and my storage are the same room and I was running out of space (not always something I do)
  • Not in the same room, but there's also a dedicated chest nearby-ish for alchemical herbs, seeds, and other ingredients
unknown.png

Back
Top Bottom