What class should I choose?

What class should I choose?

• Total voters
I am going to be serious here.

Terraria is best enjoyed when you play one class exclusively. This is because classless Terraria is just ridiculously broken due to having access to Shield of Cthulhu, Gelatinous Pillon, Dark Harvest, and 3 minions in addition to whatever else you have. If you like the feeling of being absurdly OP, go classless.

Melee is the most grind-intensive, yet the least skill-intensive class in the game. In order to beat the game as a Melee character, you need to constantly spend money on reforging your equipment, as well as crafting the best possible gear in order to take only a single point of damage from weaker boss attacks. Boss preparation for melee is the most comprehensive - requiring not just Ironskin Potions, which gives you +8 defense, but also Bast Statues - found in the desert, Titan Potions, and other things. Pick this class if you want to play it slow.

Magic is the opposite of Melee. While Melee users prepare everything, Magic users need only the bare minimum gear in order to properly function. To play Magic well is to exploit Gravitational Potions in order to just dodge everything and using Ice Rod to block whatever you cannot dodge. As a Mage, you just run in a single direction and pummel the boss with your Magicks.

Ranged is like Magic but more blatantly overpowered, but you have to kinda grind a little for Chlorophyte Bullets and whatnot.

Summoner is for masochists who want to fight the boss in an area the size of your screen. It's also the only real close-ranged class in the game that does not overly rely on armor stacking. You also got good DPS and Gelatinous Pillon to help with mobility, though.

If you're new to the game I would recommend using melee. However I recommend you change classes at different stages of the game:

Start of game:
Melee or Throwing: Swords and Shurikens

Post-Worm:
Melee or Ranged: Flails and Minishark

WoF:
Melee or Summoner: Beenades and Imp Staff

Hardmode:
Melee or Mage: Cutlass and Golden Shower

Mech Bosses:
Ranged: Daedalus Stormbow

Plantera-Cultists:
Ranged: Megashark

Duke Fishron and Moon Lord:
Ranged: Vortex gear

Postgame:
Melee: Zenith

Last edited:
If you’re new I would recommend just trying each one out yourself and discovering what you like the most. The game can cater to numerous different playstyles, and everyone plays differently and enjoys different things, so the one you’ll enjoy most is something that only you can decide.

Locking yourself to a single class on your very first playthrough is a very narrow-minded way to play and can make you miss out on something you would have greatly enjoyed. In short, Experiment! You have a whole game open to you; Try out everything and find out what YOU enjoy most.

Last edited:
If you’re new I would recommend just trying each one out yourself and discovering what you like the most. The game can cater to numerous different playstyles, and everyone plays differently and enjoys different things, so the one you’ll enjoy most is something that only you can decide.

Locking yourself to a single class on your very first playthrough is a very narrow-minded way to play and can make you miss out on something you would have greatly enjoyed. In short, Experiment! You have a whole game open to you; Try out everything and find out what YOU enjoy most.
Thanks! I've started a magic run since i posted this, but I think I will do either ranged or summoner next, I think i should so summoner next because whips are cool, and just look at my username and pfp.

I say you should play classless first time, try all the weapons and use the ones you liked the most. That way you will get a feel of each class and develop a preference for one of them to use it in the next run.

i would go for melee firstm but there is no determinated class to go. what i know is that going for summoner is not the best idea. summoner is fun and perfect to help new players, but you get used to it and in other classes you would mostly forget that u have to defend urself

Back
Top Bottom