What do you dislike about Terraria?

I love Terraria, but I dislike the spreading mechanic. It adds a very tedious grind if you want to maintain a world's diversity in the long-term, which I always do unless I'm just strip-mining for resources. Before you get to hardmode, you're compelled to dig tunnels around every generated biome; when you get to hardmode, you have to dig four hellevators, while tanking new mobs that will murder your guts and eat them. On medium or large worlds, this gets nightmarish.

Meteors. I hate meteors so much. They're great the first time they fall, but after that, they only exist to ruin your landscape and threaten your buildings unless you want to put chests everywhere. I once made a skybridge across an entire medium world, stretching from ocean shore to ocean shore, to protect it. Two more meteors fell. Both landed in the oceans themselves. :X

(On that note, I made that entire skybridge out of frozen slime blocks... before realizing asphalt was a thing.)

Oh, and Demon/Crimson Altars. The hallowed/corrupted block is one thing, rather insidious but admittedly clever. The mechanical bosses are par for the course. But spawning pirate invasions in early Hardmode is one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. When the mech kills you, it despawns. The pirates just keep coming over, and over... I've learned how to cheese them, provided I have a yoyo, but I exclusively fish, now. Bypass the altars entirely. They cause too much grief, and by the time I can deal with that grief, I don't need the ore they generate anymore.

Also a customary grumble for explosive traps. I've only ever played a hardcore character once. I was so careful, so meticulous. Every step I took was measured. My successes felt so important. The advent of Hardmode was a struggle for survival, but I had triumphed - I was almost ready to take on the Destroyer. Then I landed on a pressure pad.

I can't hate it too much, but erf, that took a while to get over.

There is only one thing i dislike about terraria. That one thing is something that could potentially make the entire fandom mad, but here i go.
I really hate the fact that bosses despawn at certain times.

Well...
Simple attack enemies (they just touch the player to hurt), almost every boss is impossible to be faced while using melee weapons like swords, without being hit at least once, being ranged and magic gameplay the most viable for facing bosses, and the decorrence of events after killing the Lunatic Cultist, includding Moon Lord.

Nothing lol
So you enjoy farming for a Rod of Discord for, like, 3 hours, only to not notice you got it and trash it?
Or repeatedly getting killed by Paladins while farming for a Paladin's Hammer/Sniper Rifle/any other item in the post-Plantera Dungeon?
Or getting five Solar Eclipses and Blood Moons in a row?
Or ANYTHING ELSE THAT REQUIRES HEAVY RNG?

(and before you ask, no, I'm not speaking from experience)

So you enjoy farming for a Rod of Discord for, like, 3 hours, only to not notice you got it and trash it?
Or repeatedly getting killed by Paladins while farming for a Paladin's Hammer/Sniper Rifle/any other item in the post-Plantera Dungeon?
Or getting five Solar Eclipses and Blood Moons in a row?
Or ANYTHING ELSE THAT REQUIRES HEAVY RNG?

(and before you ask, no, I'm not speaking from experience)
Actually sounds like experience.

To be honest I really don't have something I really don't like in terraria it's jus the annoying things like dragon hornets and stuff like that

But I REALLY heat the ragged caster for some reason

it's that It requires a lot of arena building since 3 bosses are fought underground and you have to make arenas for them. also, i have to spend 3 hours farming for souls of night/light and ectoplasm. and i also have to farm for the ingredients of the ankh charm and the cell phone.

I really dislike how you have to make at least 2 islands in order to get all the bosses, all the ores, all the biomes, and all the rares. Like, seriously, I had to transport crimsand from my secondary island Blood Red to my main island Aurora and I still never get to see hordes of Crimera and hordes of Soul Eaters in one spot.

I also dislike how demonite is weaker than crim-whatchumacallit.

The biggest thing that's frustrating to me is rng-heavy grinding, like trying to get a specific boss drop. It's frustrating overcoming a great challenge only to get an entirely useless reward, and then have to do it again and again until you get something helpful.

The chance for fishing lines to break. It's a cheap way to make fishing somewhat less profitable and more frustrating, and it's specially annoying because there's an accessory that is ONLY used to prevent this from happening.
Throwing Damage. I just plain don't understand what was the point of adding a type of damage if it doesn't get gear beyond post-EoW/BoC, and, as the basic premise of thrown weapons is that they consume themselves, this means that, even if they did new weapons, they'd by necessity either be like the Ale Tosser and the Bone Glove (Which are almost like Ranged Weapons, but deal Throwing damage instead) or limited because the way they're obtained has to take into account that they have to be obtained over and over (Which, for instance, means that no consumable weapons can be feasibly dropped rarely, or by bosses; with only common drops and purchases being feasible, which makes for bland rewards). In other words, their very design is flawed and limits their usability.
The irrelevancy of most NPC items. For instance, there's only 3 items in the Merchant's inventory that are likely to be bought on a regular basis: Wooden arrows, safes, and piggy banks. And the latter two are only for setting up outposts. Another example is the Demolitionist, who, by the endgame, is only useful due to the exploding powder, as the Cyborg (Whose Nanites are nearly useless, at that) becomes more useful at blowing blocks up, etc...

RNG but only in a few instances. I'm fine with most of the RNG in Terraria.

It's mainly the few things that are completely out of the players hands such as the following:

Money Trough (not that bad but if you don't get it early on it loses its usefulness imo)

Traveling Merchant items (same concept. The brick layer is so nice but it can take for ages of you're not lucky)

Most everything else you can take steps to actively obtain an item but these the only factor is time and luck which isn't fun in my book.

Last edited:
While I don't have a problem with the idea of biome spreading itself, I think at times it can be a little too difficult to reverse. The Clentaminator feels like it could afford to reach somewhat farther in, and the fact that you can't convert anything back to Jungle with it is especially frustrating.

Any enemy in hell
ESPECIALLY the flipping fire imp :mad: (as you can tell I despise them)
While I don't have a problem with the idea of biome spreading itself, I think at times it can be a little too difficult to reverse. The Clentaminator feels like it could afford to reach somewhat farther in, and the fact that you can't convert anything back to Jungle with it is especially frustrating.
Yes. This, this sums up my problem with the evil biomes.

1) Corruption Early-Game: Too much chasms, a whole lot of EoS and getting stuck on one piece of the Underground Corruption
2) Biome Key (Molds): They give you incredibly useful stuff (Staff of The Frost Hydra, Vampire Knives, Piranha Gun, Scourge of The Corruptor, Rainbow Gun) with the price of a week's grinding
3) Despawning: Sometimes I have to help my friend who's dying and that Ice Queen with 374 HP left fled the scene (Wave 12)
4) Post-Plantera Dungeon(s): The Temple and the Dungeon can get pretty annoying because of the traps and getting cornered by 2 PALADINS NYAAAHH

Walking along in the caves as a noob:
Me: LAALAALALLA MINING ORES DO DO DO
Me: Whats this? oh no! a lost girl all alone in these caves, better go help.
Lost girl: OH! IM LOST PLEASE HELP!
Me: I WILL SAVE YOU
Lost girl: (Transforms into nymph)
Me: :eek::nymph: WHAT THE HELL!?!?!
Nymph: (Kills Me)
Me: Respawns and goes into cave 20 years later
Me: hey look! a lost goblin in the cav-
Me: Nope, im out of here, im not taking any chances
Bound Goblin: Sigh...

Back
Top Bottom