What do you limit yourselves to when playing a summoner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureDefiant

Steampunker
Topic. Do you summoners limit yourselves only to Summon weapons on your playthroughs or do you use a variety of weapons (Jack-of-trades of sorts)

I'm not really good enough to just sit there and not give out extra dps. I always use other weapons along with my summons.

Summoner armor. That's it. I use any accessories, weapons and such but i have summoner armor and summoner weapons. I rarely limit myself to only certain type of weapons.

I actually tend to use as many weapons as I can, specially if they have some AoE or sustained damage (Nimbus Rod's probably one of my favorite add-ons)

I once in a while tend lo limit myself to summons+just one weapon of any other class, but it's not that fun.

I like using Vampire Knives for extra damage and a little bit more suitability when playing as a summoner. The Nimbus Rod is kinda nice too for extra damage and goes nicely with your other sentries.

EDIT: Having access to more damage to go along with your familiars never hurts imo.

Due to the piercing damage and how it works and the fact that Most minions do Piercing damage, sometimes Using other weapons doesn't work, mostly in Single targets, but it's always useful to carry an extra weapon

Im currently playing my summoner with all armor/accesories summoner based but i allow the use fo other weapons my weapon of choise are bows/repeaters as i kinda like to feel xd that im playing some sort of beast master hunter :B (the wow days )

Topic. Do you summoners limit yourselves only to Summon weapons on your playthroughs or do you use a variety of weapons (Jack-of-trades of sorts)
It depends because honestly, pure summoning is ridiculously difficult and even most of the more advanced players will agree (or, rather, they will argue that being a jack of all trades IS "pure summoning"). I only bother to do it if I have friends that can draw the aggro away, because when it comes right down to it, Pure Summoner is the class that tries to get away with winning by doing absolutely nothing.

Honestly, even when I have friends I tend to usually play a Summoner-Jack. So on top of Stardust armor, I have...

~WEAPONS~
I try to have two of each "class" weapon, except summoner, which I carry 4 of.
MELEE - Terrarian and Solar Eruption. SE is for exploring and Crowd Control. Terrarian for boss fights and utterly destroying single targets.
RANGED - Vortex Beater and Phantasm. Chlorophyte Bullets and Ichor Arrows.
MAGIC - Lunar Flare and Nebula Arcanum. I know Nebula Blaze is faster but Arcanum is just so much cooler.
SUMMON - Stardust Cell AND Dragon Staves. Cell usually. Dragon for special occasions. Rainbow Crystal Staff AND Lunar Portal Staff, because por que no los dos?

~ACCESSORIES~ (All "Menacing")
Lava Waders - For when I'm exploring around or fighting in terrain that has lots of water. It's incredibly handy.
Master Ninja Gear - Almost mandatory at all times. Dodge chance + Dash Option? Yes please!
Yellow Horseshoe Balloon - Why not wings? Because Wings don't benefit my buddy Scutlix. Also, the spinny jump is cool and you'll never convince me otherwise.
Papyrus Scarab + Necromantic Scroll - I never wear just one. Either both or neither, depending on whether I'm just exploring or want to max out minions for a boss fight.
Putrid Scent - Pretty much mandatory if I have friends around. I'm just waiting for the day the Voodoo Necklace becomes a reality...
Charm of Myths - Just in case, really. If I see myself needing to chug potions more than usual.
Shiny Stone - Usually coupled with the Putrid Scent and only used when I intend to win like Luigi.
Yoyo Bag - For when I really want to tear :red: up with the Terrarian.
Sniper Scope - A little boost to my Vortex Beater and some added scan distance never hurt.
Brain Scrambler - I know it's not an accessory but my buddy Scutlix is an important part of my setup. He completely replaces my speed boots and frees up a slot for other things!

In my inventory I also carry a stack of Bewitching Tables, and some Summoning Potions, so if I go full-out army mode I can have 10 minions on me, and supplement them with Yoyo Bag or Sniper Scope so I can help them out.

... I BELIEVE that's everything...

Last edited:
I consider it sin to play as a summoner and do nothing. For me, the summoner is one who wrecks enemies with any of the fantastic weapons available while the minions wreck enemies on the other side of the screen at the same time.

It depends because honestly, pure summoning is ridiculously difficult and even most of the more advanced players will agree (or, rather, they will argue that being a jack of all trades IS "pure summoning"). I only bother to do it if I have friends that can draw the aggro away, because when it comes right down to it, Pure Summoner is the class that tries to get away with winning by doing absolutely nothing.

Honestly, even when I have friends I tend to usually play a Summoner-Jack. So on top of Stardust armor, I have...

~WEAPONS~
I try to have two of each "class" weapon, except summoner, which I carry 4 of.
MELEE - Terrarian and Solar Eruption. SE is for exploring and Crowd Control. Terrarian for boss fights and utterly destroying single targets.
RANGED - Vortex Beater and Phantasm. Chlorophyte Bullets and Ichor Arrows.
MAGIC - Lunar Flare and Nebula Arcanum. I know Nebula Blaze is faster but Arcanum is just so much cooler.
SUMMON - Stardust Cell AND Dragon Staves. Cell usually. Dragon for special occasions. Rainbow Crystal Staff AND Lunar Portal Staff, because por que no los dos?

~ACCESSORIES~ (All "Menacing")
Lava Waders - For when I'm exploring around or fighting in terrain that has lots of water. It's incredibly handy.
Master Ninja Gear - Almost mandatory at all times. Dodge chance + Dash Option? Yes please!
Yellow Horseshoe Balloon - Why not wings? Because Wings don't benefit my buddy Scutlix. Also, the spinny jump is cool and you'll never convince me otherwise.
Papyrus Scarab + Necromantic Scroll - I never wear just one. Either both or neither, depending on whether I'm just exploring or want to max out minions for a boss fight.
Putrid Scent - Pretty much mandatory if I have friends around. I'm just waiting for the day the Voodoo Necklace becomes a reality...
Charm of Myths - Just in case, really. If I see myself needing to chug potions more than usual.
Shiny Stone - Usually coupled with the Putrid Scent and only used when I intend to win like Luigi.
Yoyo Bag - For when I really want to tear :red: up with the Terrarian.
Sniper Scope - A little boost to my Vortex Beater and some added scan distance never hurt.
Brain Scrambler - I know it's not an accessory but my buddy Scutlix is an important part of my setup. He completely replaces my speed boots and frees up a slot for other things!

In my inventory I also carry a stack of Bewitching Tables, and some Summoning Potions, so if I go full-out army mode I can have 10 minions on me, and supplement them with Yoyo Bag or Sniper Scope so I can help them out.

... I BELIEVE that's everything...
Hey, thank you and congrats for making a nice and organized post.
index.php

I consider it sin to play as a summoner and do nothing.
Then consider me a proud sinner.

I don't do it OFTEN, but sometimes...

... sometimes it's just too cool to stand on the mountaintop and watch the world buuurn around you...

Hmhmhmm... Heheheheh! HAH! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!
:pumpking:
Hey, thank you and congrats for making a nice and organized post.
index.php
Organization is important to me. lol

Then consider me a proud sinner.

I don't do it OFTEN, but sometimes...

... sometimes it's just too cool to stand on the mountaintop and watch the world buuurn around you...
I meant more like, doing nothing in the entire playthrough because "you're a summoner, summons do the job"

minions and traps mostly... or if I'm lazy 1 melee and 1 magic weapon... no ranged because being lazy means not wanting to manage bullets too

Summoner is unviable without subweapons. It's absolute garbage if you rely on minions alone. Your DPS is lower than all other classes, your defense is lower than everyone else's, you have the lowest selection of weapons in the whole game, and even the mechanics themselves work against you.

Using other weapons with summoner is the "intended" way. So the only limitation I do is wear summoner armor and have a small army following me around.

Summoner is unviable without subweapons. It's absolute garbage if you rely on minions alone. Your DPS is lower than all other classes, your defense is lower than everyone else's, you have the lowest selection of weapons in the whole game, and even the mechanics themselves work against you.

Using other weapons with summoner is the "intended" way. So the only limitation I do is wear summoner armor and have a small army following me around.
I managed. I beat Moon Lord from scratch using only minions, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I just finished a playthrough of summoner, and I used only minions and sentries. That does not include clouds and the clinger staff. Pure summon damage only.

If I were to do a summoner playthrough (Trying to get good summon weapons asap and using summoner armor, and using summoner focused accessories) I would use weapons from other classes as well. Which would mainly be melee/ranged. I'd be too squishy if I relied solely on minions to do damage considering I would have weaker armor than other classes of the same tier.

Also, restricting yourself to only damaging enemies with summons in the early game isn't a practical choice as you'd have to go far out of your way to make a slime farm with a slime statue to get the Slime Staff which is the most difficult RNG based item to get in the whole game. The only option would be to go to beat the Queen Bee as soon as possible to get the Armor and Hornet Staff and the Queen Bee is very difficult for fresh characters as it is jungle-tier and expects the player to have decent armor by the time it is fought.

I managed. I beat Moon Lord from scratch using only minions, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I just finished a playthrough of summoner, and I used only minions and sentries. That does not include clouds and the clinger staff. Pure summon damage only.

Well DUH it's possible. Nobody said it wasn't, and not to mention, Lunar summons are exempt from the rule because both cells and stardust dragon are kind of monstrously strong, like the other 6 lunar weapons.

I'm the guy who posted a boring video of copper shortswording Plantera to death. I -know.- what can 'potentially' be done. "Awful" doesn't mean "can't be made to work if you force it." You're STILL gimped, you still have the lowest potential as "pure" summoner, and it still doesn't change that summoners are able to freely use other weapons without taking any penalty to their DPS for a deliberate reason.

Well DUH it's possible. Nobody said it wasn't, and not to mention, Lunar summons are exempt from the rule because both cells and stardust dragon are kind of monstrously strong, like the other 6 lunar weapons.

I'm the guy who posted a boring video of copper shortswording Plantera to death. I -know.- what can 'potentially' be done. "Awful" doesn't mean "can't be made to work if you force it." You're STILL gimped, you still have the lowest potential as "pure" summoner, and it still doesn't change that summoners are able to freely use other weapons without taking any penalty to their DPS for a deliberate reason.
It was a good challenge, and really fun. For someone who usually plays the "all-class" class, I really liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom