What do you limit yourselves to when playing a summoner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did once the "do not use other weapons" run as Summoner, but only after I got the Rod of Discord (I love the item more than enough to grind it in every run), without the mobility boost you are more than likely done, and even with the item it feels rather bleh.

Don't even think about doing in on Expert mode tho, unless you like fighting normal enemies for a week.

I like to fight too, high DPS is always good
I use Starwrath and Terrarian to kill enemys in some cave or building
Vortex Beater with Luminite Bullets and Phantasm with Luminite Arrows for Crowd Control
And some times i just keep teleporting and flying while the minions do the job :p

When I ran my pure Summoner playthrough from 1.2.4, my rules were:

1. Under no circumstances could I deliberately attack an enemy with a useable weapon that did not deal Summon damage on its tool tip.
2. Accidentally hitting enemies with tools while mining was acceptable, but could not be used with intent.
3. Traps and other arena hazards were acceptable.
4. Accessories which dealt reactive damage were acceptable (Spore Sac, being passive, would work under this policy though; Shield of Cthulhu would not, as it is an active use item)
5. Player starts with a Slime Staff due to general inaccessibility. I wanted the playthrough to be pure Summon from the start, and with my limitations, I didn't see a realistic way of legitimately farming for the incredibly rare Slime Staff.

Combat was primarily focused on evasion and assisting my minion's AI get into range, while recasting Turret Summons from time to time. Some of the bigger challenges were Eye of Cthulhu, Queen Bee (had to constantly resummon my Slime on top of them to hurt them while they flew), Wall of Flesh and Duke Fishron.

This past playthrough I resigned myself to summons and "animal" weapons, like Toxicarp, Swordfish, or Bee Keeper. (Plus trap-filled arenas)
I ended with the Piranha Gun and the Bat Scepter supplementing my Hydra and army of Cells.

This past playthrough I resigned myself to summons and "animal" weapons, like Toxicarp, Swordfish, or Bee Keeper. (Plus trap-filled arenas)
I ended with the Piranha Gun and the Bat Scepter supplementing my Hydra and army of Cells.
"Animal", living or "summony" weapons is actually a pretty amazing idea for a rolisticly sensical summoner playthrough, without making it too restrictive so as to keep me frustrated from enjoying most fun items. I'll get down to it soon. Thanks!

I'll have to make a list. The Bee's Knees and Bee Gun should be there, first of all. I wonder what I could use to kill the bee, though: I've never been good enough at the game so as to kill her with only crimson cloud/vilethorn and a single slime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom