tModLoader What do you love and hate about the mod scene as of 2019?

Batby

Terrarian
Mod content, Mod discords, Mod threads etc. Just anything about the process that you think should be applauded or should be far better than it currently is.

What I HATE about 2019 modding is sprites. Everyone want to get that Calamity styled sprites. But they don't Terraria's style. They look awful with terraia textures just because they don't fit (as general sprites, they look ok, I don't argue with that). And not everyone (for example me) like that style either.
So, I am hoping that Tremor II will have terraria styled sprites.

I dislike how everyone is copying calamity instead of making actually unique content, when calamity was only decent in the first place. Also I utterly loathe overhaul, but I can respect what they're going for, it's just definitely not for me.

I love how we do have at least some good choices, like mods that focus specifically on being unique rather than stale gimmicks.

Everyone want to get that Calamity styled sprites. But they don't Terraria's style. They look awful with terraia textures just because they don't fit
I dislike how everyone is copying calamity instead of making actually unique content, when calamity was only decent in the first place

Same. Damn. Thing.
Its almost like they forgot about vanilla Terraria's artstyle. It honestly looks like they want their mods to look like they belong on calameme or look good alongside calamittens.
The sheer amount of good to decent mods that mimic the Calamity's "Artistic Design and Shading Choice" It makes me loose hope for mods that are vanilla-friendly and actually look like they could belong in Terraria.
If you are the small percentage of people that don't have Calamity installed aka don't play Calamity then you'll know how mush of this "Graphical Design Choice" sticks out.
The only Two (2) large completed mods that actually have vanilla-friendly artstyle and are Thorium and GRealm. (Spirit is getting overhauled and Tremor Two so I really can't say much about these two).

TL;DR Why are most of the mods have same damn Calamity "artstyle" ? Covering your mod with this artstyle doesn't automatically make your mod the next 'big' Calamity.

Please for the love of God, stop this Calamity art-style spread. The fact that a whole Texture Pack was created for this abomination of a mod is telling me something. Other than that, most things are running fine in the community from my point of view. New mods are popping up all the time, which is 50/50 for me. A lot of mods that are just Example Mod copy pastes clog up the Mod Browser and prevent higher quality mods from reaching the players.

TL;DR -- 7/10 is my rating, would be 10 but isn't due to the spriting toxicity.

Tbh I don't hate calamity, I don't even dislike calamity. It's just not AMAZING, it's only like 3.5/5...

I myself don't really have too much of a problem with the Calamity art style (though some of 'em do look a bit unusual, not gonna lie), the only real problem I've got with most mods that bring in a lot of content is the seemingly carnal desire to include a superboss that requires intimate knowledge of how Bullet Hell games work, or just straight up screw you over with debuffs. Other than that, it's a bright future for the mod library of Terarria!

Hard to find people not disliking the new artstyle. even the Terraria spriting guild sprites like calamity. its shocking. how is it terraria sprites when they look like they came from a whole other game. tbh there should be an actual Terraria style art server

Sorry for the Nerco, but I stumbled across this thread, out of the loop, why is Calamity seemingly... hated?

Calamity isnt per say "hated". its just that those who do play calamity tries to push others to do the same when its not some of our styles to play with these kind of sprites or unbalance.

Calamity isnt per say "hated". its just that those who do play calamity tries to push others to do the same when its not some of our styles to play with these kind of sprites or unbalance.
Yeah, I can see that.
The sprites don't fit Vanilla game, though of course they still look good. Being unbalanced is a pretty good reason to dislike it, and it's one I can get behind. The mod really should be played standalone with only Quality of life mods or Calamity Vanilla Buff. It just makes other mods, like Spirit and Thorium, completely irrelevant.

the calamity texture pack is a good supplement for calamity type sprites to make the game look fully calamity like.

Well, stuff from newer updates looks pretty calamity-like. I guess calamity was just aiming too look like sprites from newer updates.

Just look at weapons from calamity:
Cryophobia.png
Wingman.png
Night%27s_Ray.png
Lucrecia.png
Mirror_Blade.png
Perfect_Dark.png
Seabow.png
Aquashard_Shotgun.png
Comet_Quasher.png
Then, look at weapons from terraria 1.3+ updates
Laser_Machinegun.png
Betsy%27s_Wrath.png
Rainbow_Crystal_Staff.png
Sky_Fracture.png
Vortex_Beater.png
Ghastly_Glaive.png
Seedler.png
Brand_of_the_Inferno.png

Maybe it's just balanced arround newer updates?

Well, stuff from newer updates looks pretty calamity-like. I guess calamity was just aiming too look like sprites from newer updates.

Just look at weapons from calamity:
Cryophobia.png
Wingman.png
Night%27s_Ray.png
Lucrecia.png
Mirror_Blade.png
Perfect_Dark.png
Seabow.png
Aquashard_Shotgun.png
Comet_Quasher.png
Then, look at weapons from terraria 1.3+ updates
Laser_Machinegun.png
Betsy%27s_Wrath.png
Rainbow_Crystal_Staff.png
Sky_Fracture.png
Vortex_Beater.png
Ghastly_Glaive.png
Seedler.png
Brand_of_the_Inferno.png

Maybe it's just balanced arround newer updates?
The Shading on 1.3's sprites is much better than calamity's though, calamity's doesn't use any visible light source.

Well, stuff from newer updates looks pretty calamity-like. I guess calamity was just aiming to look like sprites from newer updates.

The tiles and NPCs are what most people dislike (from what I can tell). The Ores and most of the custom tiles added by Calamity really don't look like they fit, even though. Calamity has nice weapon sprites, they aren't too far from Vanilla, much closer than the bosses or the tiles. As Mr Fern noted above, the Calamity texture pack helps to remedy this, though it really shouldn't be an issue in the first place, it wasn't even for a while.
1578499419738.png

This looks pretty Vanilla.

1578499441779.png

This doesn't.

Clearly the team was going for a look to make the mod feel different, which they accomplished. Kinda upset that there isn't a "Vanilla" texture pack for Calamity though.

The tiles and NPCs are what most people dislike (from what I can tell). The Ores and most of the custom tiles added by Calamity really don't look like they fit, even though. Calamity has nice weapon sprites, they aren't too far from Vanilla, much closer than the bosses or the tiles. As Mr Fern noted above, the Calamity texture pack helps to remedy this, though it really shouldn't be an issue in the first place, it wasn't even for a while.
View attachment 233213

View attachment 233214
This doesn't.

Clearly the team was going for a look to make the mod feel different, which they accomplished. Kinda upset that there isn't a "Vanilla" texture pack for Calamity though.
"Vanilla" texture pack for Calamity is a think, I want a lot too. Too sad, that not a lot of people are interested in that( It will be nice to have "Vanilla" texture packs for Elements Awoken, Shadows of Abaddon, Enigma, Mod of Redemption (partly isn't Terraria styled) and others.

Calamity art is made for the intention of a Terraria mod, it's quality on it's own is mostly irrelevant if it doesn't succeed in it's intention.

View attachment 233213

View attachment 233214
This doesn't.

I agree, that Calamity NPCs looks just way like normal 2D, without pixels. Through titles are ok, stuff like plague plate or profaned brick or whatever it's called fits well to the normal world.

Back
Top Bottom