What Gender's the Bosses?

Ah this again while there are new things to add nothing really changed from before most bosses aren't really classifiable by gender
King Slime: Slimes are asexual they have no gender

Eye of Cthulhu: ??? Undetermined Eldritch horror attempting to assign the mortal concept of gender here will lead to your sanity level dropping drastically.

Eater of Worlds: Undetermined likely Asexual or Female

Brain of Cthulhu: ??? Undetermined Eldritch horror attempting to assign the mortal concept of gender here will lead to your sanity level dropping drastically.

Queen bee:Like nearly all Bees it would be female male bees only have half a chromosome anyway...

Skeletron: Gender never established but probably once had a gender when they were alive (likely male but once again never established)

Wall of Flesh: ??? Undetermined Eldritch horror attempting to assign the mortal concept of gender here will lead to your sanity level dropping drastically.
Twins: Undetremined Either Asexual if Cyborg or N/A

Destroyer:N/A Machines have no gender seems to be based on EOW and BOC so even if part cyborg it would be undetermined

Skeletron Prime: N/A Machines have no gender no organic parts at any stage of fight

Plantera: Hermaphrodite because it is a plant...

Golem: N/A Machines have no gender even if they are ancient

Duke Fishron: Presumed to be male but never confirmed to have a specific gender.(If they are a species then they would have both sexes names don't matter in nature)

Lunatic Cultist: Considering the Eldric possession going on and fully masked appearance no gender identification can be done

Moon Lord: ??? Undetermined Eldritch horror attempting to assign the mortal concept of gender here will lead to your sanity level dropping drastically.

Flying Dutchmen: Ships named "female" but really it isn't alive so N/A

Martian Saucer: Space ship of Martian origin no further information can be identified it is currently unknown if Martians even have genders nor what ship traditions are used by Martians

Mouring Wood: Undead Plant so Hermaphrodite or undefined(even if it its name is a reference to that part which in humans is male only... It isn't always the case Hyena's for instance but plants are not confined to gender)

Pumpking: Undead spirt plus a plant... basically it is undetermined but assumed to represent a male even if really genderless

Everscream: It is a plant so Hermaphrodite

Santa NK1: N/A Machines have no gender

Ice queen:It is made of ice so really it can't have a gender but usually assumed to be "female"

Dark Mage:Never identified even in original game

Ogre:Never identified even in original game

Betsy:Female one of the few that is obvious to awnser

I mean... Queen bee has to be female cuz I don't remember the last time I heard about a gender fluid bee repopulating a hive
That is an exception to the norm rather than a rule however.
In the family of insects that includes bees wasps and ants males are actually the result of unfertilized eggs meaning they only have half chromosomes and exist only to mate. Thus males for bees wasps and ants are more or less giant sperm cells as the fulfill a similar purpose rather than a true gender.

In nature our human concept of gender is very skewed and basically breaks down the further away from humans you go on the evolutionary tree.
If an organism isn't a mammal for instance then it probably doesn't use or have X Y chromosome sex determination.
In fact I think certain reptiles (birds and some snakes lizards) even have a comparable chromosome determination system (the WZ chromosome system)though that system works differently. Heck many animals can even swap genders based on environmental cues. (And lets not even think about considering that system for plants as they practically break every rule) And if you want to go there, Bacteria and Archaea are even stranger as they have no genders and swap DNA like trading cards even among different "species"...

The TLDR is that our idea of gender and sexuality as humans is an exception rather than a rule when it comes to most multicellular life and basically all unicellular life. So attempting to apply it to fictional entities that represent something eldrich is fool hardy.

That is an exception to the norm rather than a rule however.
In the family of insects that includes bees wasps and ants males are actually the result of unfertilized eggs meaning they only have half chromosomes and exist only to mate. Thus males for bees wasps and ants are more or less giant sperm cells as the fulfill a similar purpose rather than a true gender.

In nature our human concept of gender is very skewed and basically breaks down the further away from humans you go on the evolutionary tree.
If an organism isn't a mammal for instance then it probably doesn't use or have X Y chromosome sex determination.
In fact I think certain reptiles (birds and some snakes lizards) even have a comparable chromosome determination system (the WZ chromosome system)though that system works differently. Heck many animals can even swap genders based on environmental cues. (And lets not even think about considering that system for plants as they practically break every rule) And if you want to go there, Bacteria and Archaea are even stranger as they have no genders and swap DNA like trading cards even among different "species"...

The TLDR is that our idea of gender and sexuality as humans is an exception rather than a rule when it comes to most multicellular life and basically all unicellular life. So attempting to apply it to fictional entities that represent something eldrich is fool hardy.
Well uh... Damn you know your stuff

How dare you assume those bosses' genders

My Opinions:

King Slime: male, hence the name.
Eye of Cthulhu: i've always thought of it as male. also cthulhu is male.
Eater of Worlds: male. IDK why.
Brain of Cthulhu. probably male, same reason as eye.
Queen Bee: female.
Skeletron: i've always thought of it as male, plus it's host is the clothier. also some people have mentioned bone structure here.
Wall of Flesh: male or genderless.
The Twins: male because of @PaperLaur's story.
Skeletron Prime: male.
The Destroyer: male, IDK why.
Plantera: unsure.
Golem: male, although carvings of that sort make it hard to tell.
Duke Fishron: male.
Lunatic Cultist: i've always thought of it as male.
Moon Lord: male. the devs mentioned he was cthulhu's brother.

Event Minibosses

Mourning wood: i've always thought of it as being no gender/male.
everscream: unknown
Santa NK1: despite being a robot, it's clearly male.
Pumpking: male, hence the name.
Ice Queen: female, hence the name and appearance.
Flying Dutchman: no gender, but seems male, due to the name.
Martian Saucer: no gender. it's a vehicle.
Pillars: no gender
Dark Mage: seems male. IDK why.
Ogre: male
Betsy: female.

Console/Mobile:

Ocram: male
Lepus: unknown, possibly female due to laying eggs.
Turkor: male, IDK why.

I never said that the wiki was offical I was just saying If you are unsure you can check the wiki
But that assumes that the genders the Wiki states are in fact 'right', even though in the respective articles, they were decided on by fans like us. This thread is more about what impression you have of the bosses yourself, and the Wiki isn't more right than any of us is. :)

On the subject itself, I always thought the Brain of Cthulhu and Plantera were female. Plantera because the name ends in an -a (dem wacky Romans), BoC... I have no idea. Probably because a mechanical BoC would be a motherboard.

I don't really think of the bosses to have a gender. However, I do believe that Plantera, Ice Queen and Queen Bee are all female because their names sound feminine.

From a biological point of view:

King Slime: Judging from the name you'd say it's male, but slimes are pretty much genderless. I'm sure they reproduce by simply splitting into two, like cells.
Eye of Cthulhu: It's a bodypart and not a specific male or female bodypart at that. So there's nothing to go on.
Eater of Worlds: It's most likely a hermaphrodite. Real life worms have both male and female reproductive organs.
Brain of Cthulhu: Same as Eye of Cthulhu.
Queen Bee: Female.
Skeletron: If Skeletron once was a female or male of some species then any evidence of it is now lost. Can't really judge it from its skull and arms.
Wall of Flesh: This monstrosity lacks any telltale signs of gender as well. Most likely created by some wickedly evil magic.
The Destroyer: Construct made out of metal.
The Twins: Construct made out of metal.
Skeletron Prime: Construct made out of metal.
Plantera: Could be male, female or hermaphroditic. I am going with female due to her name.
Golem: Construct made out of stone and/or clay.
Duke Fishron: Going with male due to his name. Afterall, it's not Duchess Fishron.
Lunatic Cultist: Could be anything. The robe doesn't reveal anything. It might not even be human.
Moon Lord: Since it's Moon Lord and not Moon Lady one would think it's male, but it looks far from human and its body is incomplete, so there's no way to tell.
Mourning Wood: It's a tree.
Pumpking: It's a pumpkin.
Everscream: It's a tree.
Santa-NK1: Construct made out of metal.
Ice Queen: Construct made out of ice.
Flying Dutchman: Construct made out of wood.
Martian Saucer: Construct made out of some super duper alien metal no doubt.
Dark Mage: Hard to say. It is masked and robed while also sitting down. If it ever was human it doesn't look very human now.
Ogre: Hard to say. Maybe female ogres look a lot like male ogres? I've never really seen one up close. Then again, one would at least see some noticeable breasts I guess, unless they are magically created. But I'm going with male.
Betsy: According to most myths dragons reproduce by laying eggs, which seems to indicate that there are male and female dragons. Since Betsy is a rather feminine name I am going with female.

Tally:
Number of Hermaphrodites: 1
Number of He's: 2
Number of She's: 3
Number of It's: 19

I have been summoned by @neoselket

In my mind, technically every "main" boss would be an "it", even the ones with specific names--in my headcanon most of them are just souls or deities taking on some chosen form.

Though if I were to assign them genders, it'd break down like this.

EoC/BoC: Male because of Cthulhu
EoW: Could go either way
King Slime: Male, assuming the ninja inside it is controlling it somehow.
Queen Bee: Female because of name and role.
Skeletron: Can reasonably be called male due to the Clothier being its host.
Wall of Flesh: Genderless; it doesn't need or understand such a concept. Can be referred to as male because of the Guide depending on headcanon, though.
Mech Bosses: Technically no gender, though I see both the Twins and Skeletron Prime as male due to their pre-hardmode counterparts. Plus, both of the Twins' names sound like they'd be male to me, even if they're gibberish eye puns. It's not like I can really change my mind about THOSE two now anyway, can I?
Plantera: Both due to the way plants work, but I always saw it as female because of the name.
Golem: May be depicting a male or masculine figure, but itself has no gender.
Duke Fishron: Male because of the name. (Incidentally I don't think I ever decided in my headcanon whether this was the only boss that was just sort of...already there hanging out.)
Lunatic Cultist: Assuming male because of the voice, but it could swing either way--it's clear that whoever they are, they're not really human anymore, and the voice isn't really an indicator.
Pillars: Cosmic.
Moon Lord: Chooses to appear as a male, but technically cosmic too and doesn't need your silly gender concepts in order to break your face.

My comments in yellow.
I think what they were saying is that cthulu is a boy so all of his body parts are boys as well, although personally for some reason I like to think of the boc as female, kinda like the creepers are her babys and shes pink, but idk

Most of them i imagine as neutral, but apart from the monarchs and rulers (The Empress Of Light, the various queens, Moon Lord and King Slime) i think Plantera is female, Lunatic Cultist is male, and Betsy is called, well, Betsy.

King Slime - 100% Male, Kings can not be female
Eye of Cthulhu - Probably none
Eater of Worlds - Unkown, Probably both
Brain of Cthulu - Same as Eye of Cthulhu
Skeletron - Male
Queen Bee - 100% Female
Wall of Flesh - Male
Queen Slime - Female
Twins - Probably the same as Eye of Cthulhu
Destroyer - None
Skeletron Prime - Male again
Ocram - None
Plantera - None because plants don't have genders
Golem - Male
Empress of light - Defiantly female
Duke Fishron - Male
Lunatic Cultist - No idea, might be alien
Moon Lord - Guessing male
Lepus - Female from laying eggs
Turkor - Another unknown one

King Slime: Factually Male
Eye of Cthulhu: Agender
Eater of Worlds: Hermaphrodite or Both Genders
Brain of Cthulhu: Agender
Skeletron: Male, according to Old Man's dialogue.
Queen Bee: Factually Female
Wall of Flesh: Male, according to confirmations that the guide is the wall of flesh, also according to loading tips.
Queen Slime: Factually Female
The Twins: Agender
The Destroyer: Agender
Skeletron Prime: Agender. However, could arguably be male
Plantera: Female, according to Cenx. However, Plantera has both male and female body parts, so it's safe to say that Plantera is Hermophroditic.
Golem: Agender. However, since Golem is a ritualistic Idol for Lihzahrds, he could arguably be male, as most gods or higher beings are.
Empress of Light: Female, as said in her name.
Duke Fishron: Most likely a male, as his structure seems mostly masculine, but she could be female as well.
Lunatic Cultist: Male in my opinion, because of the low voice.
Moon Lord: Male
Flying Dutchman: Agender
Mourning Wood: Agender
Pumpking: Male, most likely
Everscream: Agender
Santa-NK1: Agender
Ice Queen: Factually Female
Ocram: Male, in my opinion.

Considering That Spazmatisim is my sister I could care less about the others, except maybe The glorious Empress Of Light, I’m scared of her.

Back
Top Bottom