Game Mechanics What Happened To Being Melee? (Read OP, Under Revisionary Scrutiny)

Percentage of your interest in this being expanded upon in later patches?

• Total voters
If you try to get melee nerfed I will be the biggest pain in the :red: for as long as the thread is open. That being said I have thought about ways to have "true" melee without invalidating the system already in place. Instead of holding right click to guard you press it before you are struck to deflect the blow. You can resist up to 99% of damage if you time it correctly. The longer the time after you right click is the less you are protected by it. You could craft your sword into a sword and shield with a few extra bars. That would allow a slight improvement for the time deflection is viable. It also would allow you to hold right click to provide a flat defense boost.

Just a couple random ideas I had.

How could you use the guard feature on mobile?

Last edited:
When it comes to projectile melee, I think the limit should be the death sickle style. All projectile from melee weapons should expire quite quickly.

What about in mid air for the first suggestion, you can strike again as long as you hit an enemy? Would this be overpowered?

Perhaps there could be a type of weapon like a roped sword, where you drop it, and you jump in a direction, and only when you pull it back it damages, so you drop the marker, dash thru an enemy, and pull it back. And you couldn't move when u pulled it back

Perhaps there could be a type of weapon like a roped sword, where you drop it, and you jump in a direction, and only when you pull it back it damages, so you drop the marker, dash thru an enemy, and pull it back. And you couldn't move when u pulled it back
So basically, a flail but marginally less useful.

So basically, a flail but marginally less useful.
No, because it would be a high risk high reward. If the enemy moves, then you are out of luck. If not, then the high crit chance and high damage can obliterate them. Perhaps it should have a slowing effect, like they were tied up?

So I re-read the OP and I thought on it some.

I finally voted (yeah yeah 2 years late blah blah) because someone posted in this thread today and I had JUST watched Chippy's video about Terraria Re-Loaded or whatever that mod is called, that adds in all the new effects n' such, which is somewhat like this thread is trying to suggest.

I voted 40% and "Only New Items". I do not want past items modified; I LIKE my Yo-yos and Terrablade just as they are, thanks.

One of the questions the OP posits in the thread, is "Why would you use anything else?" Well, there are several reasons why:

1). Melee Armor tends to have lots of tanky stats and melee in general does slightly less damage -- you get more defense, but you dish out less damage in return. Compare that to Ranged Armor, which is pure damage output with some Stealth (that also has damage benefits).
2). Ranged Weapons usually use interchangeable ammo for different effects -- some are seeking, some have Ichor applied, some bounce off of walls, etc. You can't do any of those things with the Terra Blade, Meowmere, or a Yo-Yo. Well, ok, Meowmere bounces off walls and Flairon seeks, but they are not interchangeable and are locked to those weapons and only those weapons. I can't make a Meowmere seek or a Flairon bounce off of walls.
3). "Why use any other melee"? Well, Solar Eruption says "HI!" Pre-Solar Eruption, I use a Yo-Yo when I want consistent damage on a target while being able to move around and even duck behind walls. Yes, I use the Eye of Cthulhu yo-yo over the Terra Blade in some situations, especially against the Cultist Leader the first time. I'll swap to the Terra Blade when I want to stay back, such as a highly mobile boss fight, or if I want to lock down a whole hallway in the HM Dungeon.

So really the main premise behind the suggested changes to older weapons doesn't really hold up.

Now, I voted 40%... on the grounds that I am somewhat interested in seeing NEW weapons with NEW mechanics, like the Solar Eruption. Most awesome piece of kit, like, ever. And it is fully melee, it just has a ginormous range and it goes through walls... almost feels like cheating, haha. But I love it!

That doesn't mean, though, that there might not be a new weapon that comes later that I might use in other situations if the mechanics were enjoyable and/or weapons that are added to earlier progression. Tremor mod added a ridiculously awesome sword that adds spider eggs, that acts just like the spider turret only it's a swung sword and that is a heck of a fun weapon to use (though to be honest, it strikes me as something that should have been on a gun instead).

Back
Top Bottom