What is a like to you?

A like was previously an annoying distraction, where I'd see a bunch of alerts and then get annoyed at someone wordlessly liking something I said last year on a thread I'd forgotten about, or so forth.

Now a like is something I'll see on my own posts occasionally where I'll be "huh, people liked that remark" then carry on.

A like is a recognition of a funny, cool or useful post, or a way to see someone say something without the need for a reply. Its also a mark of respect and thanks.

It makes me feel special because I'm not known around that much.
As for some other people, it's just a little slice of pie that doesn't mean NUTHIN to dem.

I like stuff when I think:
A: It was usefull to the suggestion/was a suggestion that I agree with
B: It was something funny
C: It was someone saying something that I agree with
D: It was a piece of art that I like
E: It was someone alerting someone else of not reading the art request requirements (for example, when requests are closed and someone tries to request a piece of art anyway)

Someone found me funny (for once in my life), agreed with my point, or just liked what I said or did.

Just a shame that's not very often round here...
>Horrible like/post ratio.

A like to me is:
Someone thinking I am funny
Someone thinking I am stupid, so they like it (Man, I love humans)
Someone supporting me
Someone thinking what I did was good
Someone thinking that I was being funny when I really wasn't and liking it
(Ok, that is all)

A like is, for me, either someone thought my post was funny, genuinely liked it or just generally agrees with it.

Basically what @Haloboy01134 said.

Also, if you get a like from me, then I actually liked what you said. It wasn't for the sake of posting on my profile, or that you even acknowledged me. It's for one of the reasons above.

Every once in awhile someone likes something I posted months ago... and I'm like... "Another addition to Ery's mighty empire!" With a face like
flonne_fireball_eyes_3416.jpg

Ya... I'm not even exaggerating.

I always think of them as basic tokens of appreciation, the simplest way of saying "I like what you have to say and it made my day". Not only that, it is a way to prove that you are socially adept.

I know that there are people who have yet to give a like to anyone, for whatever reason. "I don't need to give likes to show my appreciation." "It's just a number and ultimately means nothing." To me, at least, these people appear detached and distant. Or perhaps overly serious. At worst, they can appear self-centered, especially if they clearly express that they enjoy receiving likes. Let's face it, likes are an essential part of forum interaction, and if you don't use them, you're handicapping yourself.

Having said that, I should probably acknowledge that I'm in a rather... unique position when it comes to this subject.
ultimatepower.jpg

A like for me is when I have nothing more to say than "OK I agree with you" or "Nice sprites!" or "Red plz add this". If such no-content replies weren't a bad thing, I would probably never give likes.

Back
Top Bottom