What is a painfully easy word to spell that you misspell?

Any word with the letters "ough" on the end. I always put a t.

I don't misspell this, but way too many other people do. Cthulhu. Not Cthulu. Not Cathulu. Not Cthojzxcklhefnmcvlercvernmlhu. Just CTHULHU!!!1!!1!!!!!!1!!one!!

And throught- I mean throat.

For me, the word I misspell the most is............ Terarria
Yep. Betcha didn't see that one coming did you?
I've spelt it as: Trraria, Terrraria, Trarria, Tarreria, and my favorite: Terarriara

I always spell with as "withe" when I'm writing. Every single damned time. :L Screw you, writing mannerisms.

My head has a built-in dictionary. Has since I was about six or seven years old. I almost never make spelling errors — meaning I don't know the spelling — but occasionally I do make typos when… well, you know: typing. My brain knows perfectly well how to spell "ratio" but for reasons beyond my ken, more often than not the fingers produce the word "ration" instead. I use the former word pretty often, the latter almost never.

Back when I used to write with pen frequently, I'd often write a lowercase d when I meant to write g, and vice versa. Both begin with the same basic shape but my muscle memory had a defect that made me interchange d's ascender and g's descender. When typing this never happens, presumably because manually forming shapes doesn't enter into the process when typing but does when writing.

[eta]
I'm always typing abotu instead of about.

Oh, and that too.

[QUOTE="Bethany, post: 524266, member: 8302"Back when I used to write with pen frequently, I'd often write a lowercase d when I meant to write g, and vice versa. Both begin with the same basic shape but my muscle memory had a defect that made me interchange d's ascender and g's descender. When typing this never happens, presumably because manually forming shapes doesn't enter into the process when typing but does when writing.[/QUOTE]
This happens to me a lot too.

Also, Pidgeon.
*pigeon.

That's a perfectly natural mistake. Pidgeon would be correct as a family name. Actor Walter Pidgeon, for instance.

One problem with English spelling is that older sources often contain spellings that were considered correct at the time but are now obsolete. When we encounter both the old and new, it's not hard to pick up both.

Personal names often preserve these old spellings. To me that seems the likeliest origin of the name Pidgeon, though authorities on etymology aren't unanimous on that.

On the topic of changed spellings, be glad we learn to say "wheat." Older, Scots-influenced English spellings for this grain include "quhete" and "qwheyf!"

That's a perfectly natural mistake. Pidgeon would be correct as a family name. Actor Walter Pidgeon, for instance.

One problem with English spelling is that older sources often contain spellings that were considered correct at the time but are now obsolete. When we encounter both the old and new, it's not hard to pick up both.

Personal names often preserve these old spellings. To me that seems the likeliest origin of the name Pidgeon, though authorities on etymology aren't unanimous on that.

On the topic of changed spellings, be glad we learn to say "wheat." Older, Scots-influenced English spellings for this grain include "quhete" and "qwheyf!"
hhhwheat.

Back
Top Bottom