What is the most useless item in Terraria to you?

One of the most useless to me is the Snowball Launcher (the one you place down). It's a rare drop, does only 7 damage, and can't move easily.

One of the most useless to me is the Snowball Launcher (the one you place down). It's a rare drop, does only 7 damage, and can't move easily.
Even though Snowballs have a base damage of 7, the Snowball Launcher actually has a constant damage of 35. Like the cannon, it’s incredibly niche, but it definitely can kill enemies like zombies or some goblins due to its fire rate and base damage.

Snowballs have a base damage of 8 and the damage on the wiki is -1, but I guess that makes sense because if you're making a mod then -1 is what you use for something different (for example a custom AI)

Ankh Shield. It takes way way too long to obtain for preventing debuffs which either don’t really do anything or are too rare to be worth equipping an accessory slot for. I usually need all of my accessory slots to fuel my large amount of mobility anyway, and damage accessories are more worth filling the remaining slots than this.

Ankh Shield. It takes way way too long to obtain for preventing debuffs which either don’t really do anything or are too rare to be worth equipping an accessory slot for. I usually need all of my accessory slots to fuel my large amount of mobility anyway, and damage accessories are more worth filling the remaining slots than this.
I beg to differ. Almost every experienced player goes out of their way to get the Ankh Shield. Not to mention each of the debuffs it prevents are the BIGGEST pains in the arse. Confusion¿ not with the ankh shield. Your defense chopped in half? Nope. If you have wings, you can afford and Ankh Shield. Quit complaining and equip the dang shield

Once in a while I pick up most or all of the materials on accident (the drops are fairly common in Expert), in which case I’ll equip it in vanity so I can cancel debuffs like chilled or slowed if I get hit by a necromancer or ice queen, for example. I’d agree that not worth going out of your way for and definitely does not live up to the hype, but I also won’t say it’s completely useless.

I beg to differ. Almost every experienced player goes out of their way to get the Ankh Shield. Not to mention each of the debuffs it prevents are the BIGGEST pains in the arse. Confusion¿ not with the ankh shield. Your defense chopped in half? Nope. If you have wings, you can afford and Ankh Shield. Quit complaining and equip the dang shield
I’d rather just equip a bundle of balloons or a fleg and not take damage to begin with. Also confused is only a threatening debuff if you let enemies slowly walk/fly towards you and somehow hit you through your weapon lol. I haven’t been confused since 1.2 and I haven’t used the ankh shield since then either.

I’d rather just equip a bundle of balloons or a fleg and not take damage to begin with. Also confused is only a threatening debuff if you let enemies slowly walk/fly towards you and somehow hit you through your weapon lol. I haven’t been confused since 1.2 and I haven’t used the ankh shield since then either.
In master mode, confusion can be deadly. The moment when you get it and when it ends messes you up, almost guaranteeing significant damage

Honestly, if you’re of the group that always wears a shield like me, your main shield should be the Frozen Shield. It still ignores knockback, and the 25% reduced damage taken at low health is much more impactful in my opinion than ignoring occasional debuffs, and it takes the same amount of time to grind for most of the time. Of course like I said, I keep Ankh in vanity if I get it so that I can cancel out debuffs, but Frozen Shield is definitely the better shield, especially because switching on Ankh for half a second will erase debuffs anyway.

In master mode, confusion can be deadly. The moment when you get it and when it ends messes you up, almost guaranteeing significant damage
That requires you get it in the first place. Again I'm equipping mobility items to the point that normal enemies simply cannot hit me.
1615908424022.png

These aren't exactly considered difficult to dodge enemies either. The clown only inflicts it with melee damage which is not what makes it threatening or how it will hit you at all.

I could easily list off items like the Tragic Umbrella or the Classy Cane, but that’s too easy. I have a few items that are actually relevant in your run.

-Treasure Magnet: I have a seething hatred for this item’s existence, especially because it wastes Shadow Chests and is *twice as likely* to appear as the other Shadow Chest loot. I know it’s not useless to everyone, but it sure as hell is useless to me because I’m not a builder and literally never need the increased pickup range. It’s just a waste of a chest.

-Flameburst Staff: The sentry with no niche. Its crowd control is completely surprassed by Ballista and its single target is... roughly the same as Ballista, but also outclassed by Frost Hydra and Spider for each relevant tier. The stupid thing can’t even aim above its head so it’s not even like you can use it to get rid of Wyverns during OOA or use it as support against bosses if you don’t have a Frozen Key. It’s just bad.

-Rainbow Gun: It’s difficult for a weapon to be actively detrimental, but this does just that. It’s a crowd control god in practice... until you realise it eats up enemy iframes, preventing your piercing weapons from hitting and either blocking your damage or forcing you to use a single target damage. Congratulations, now you’re doing less damage to crowds than you would if you had just not used it. It can’t even be used as fire and forget against single enemies because it’s hard as hell to aim and you’ll probably end up losing damage to switch to it since it’ll hit like twice ever, and it’s pretty much completely beaten out by Magnet Sphere.

-Fuzzy Carrot: Gee, thanks for the mount that is slower and has less accelaration than running with Hermes Boots. By the time I finish 5 fishing quests, I almost certainly have Slime already, and if I don’t, I don’t see myself using this mount because it literally offers worse mobility than just wearing accessories you should have on now anyway.

-Cell Phone: What the hell does anyone even need this for, anyway? Okay, it’s better inventory space, but it’s absolutely not worth grinding three traveling merchant drops, three angler drops, and uncommon enemy drops for. Just save yourself the hours you’re wasting on this and use two extra inventory slots for the two information accessories you even need, ever.

-Treasure Magnet: I have a seething hatred for this item’s existence, especially because it wastes Shadow Chests and is *twice as likely* to appear as the other Shadow Chest loot. I know it’s not useless to everyone, but it sure as hell is useless to me because I’m not a builder and literally never need the increased pickup range. It’s just a waste of a chest.
It works through walls which is nice for when I'm hitting through them with spider staff. Especially considering it can be equipped in vanity slots.

-Cell Phone: What the hell does anyone even need this for, anyway? Okay, it’s better inventory space, but it’s absolutely not worth grinding three traveling merchant drops, three angler drops, and uncommon enemy drops for. Just save yourself the hours you’re wasting on this and use two extra inventory slots for the two information accessories you even need, ever.
Certain elements of the Cell Phone aren't very useful, like the number of enemies nearby or your speed, but I think that way more than 2 of its components are useful. A watch is very useful for knowing the time when you're underground, and for timing certain things or making sure you give yourself the whole night to do boss fights, for example. The Weather Radio and Sextant are useful for getting higher fishing power so that you can catch important fish like Prismites, and the latter is also useful for knowing when NPCs are selling certain items. The Metal Detecter is extremely useful for any mining trip, because it lets you know where to look for treasures and ores. The Lifeform Analyzer is also extremely useful for finding NPCs like the Goblin Tinkerer and the Wizard, and also for finding rare enemies that drop useful items, like Mimics and Bone Lees. The DPS Meter is great for comparing the damage output of different weapons and setups, which would have been almost impossible without it. And the Compass and Depth Meter are good for finding specific location and layers in the world. So yes it does take a lot of time to gather the components, especially the ones that come from the Angler, but I think that it's worth it.

Certain elements of the Cell Phone aren't very useful, like the number of enemies nearby or your speed, but I think that way more than 2 of its components are useful. A watch is very useful for knowing the time when you're underground, and for timing certain things or making sure you give yourself the whole night to do boss fights, for example. The Weather Radio and Sextant are useful for getting higher fishing power so that you can catch important fish like Prismites, and the latter is also useful for knowing when NPCs are selling certain items. The Metal Detecter is extremely useful for any mining trip, because it lets you know where to look for treasures and ores. The Lifeform Analyzer is also extremely useful for finding NPCs like the Goblin Tinkerer and the Wizard, and also for finding rare enemies that drop useful items, like Mimics and Bone Lees. The DPS Meter is great for comparing the damage output of different weapons and setups, which would have been almost impossible without it. And the Compass and Depth Meter are good for finding specific location and layers in the world. So yes it does take a lot of time to gather the components, especially the ones that come from the Angler, but I think that it's worth it.
I only use the REK 3000 and Goblin Tech. That already tells you your DPS, movespeed, nearby rare enemies and treasures, numbers of one enemy killed and number of enemies nearby. That’s pretty much all you should need from it.

The fishing accessories aren’t the most helpful things ever because if you need potions, it’s quicker to just fish for them than to wait the time it takes for the weather conditions to be just right. You’ll know if it’s raining or windy or what phase of the moon it is by paying attention to ambiance anyway, and you’ll know your fishing power using basic addition.

Watch can be useful sometimes, but honestly if I’m underground I probably don’t need to pay attention to time so I just steal an obsidian clock from the underworld and stick it in my base.

At best I’m using three extra inventory slots: goblin tech, REK and golden watch sometimes. I don’t have any use for depth meter, compass or the fishing accessories, and grinding for those is not worth the three inventory slots it takes especially because you can easily extend your inventory for less useful items with Void Bag and Money Trough.

I only use the REK 3000 and Goblin Tech. That already tells you your DPS, movespeed, nearby rare enemies and treasures, numbers of one enemy killed and number of enemies nearby. That’s pretty much all you should need from it.

The fishing accessories aren’t the most helpful things ever because if you need potions, it’s quicker to just fish for them than to wait the time it takes for the weather conditions to be just right. You’ll know if it’s raining or windy or what phase of the moon it is by paying attention to ambiance anyway.

Watch can be useful sometimes, but honestly if I’m underground I probably don’t need to pay attention to time so I just steal an obsidian clock from the underworld and stick it in my base.

At best I’m using three extra inventory slots: goblin tech, REK and golden watch sometimes. I don’t have any use for depth meter, compass or the fishing accessories, and grinding for those is not worth the three inventory slots it takes especially because you can easily extend your inventory for less useful items with Void Bag and Money Trough.
I only use REK. I would use goblin tech but Spelunker Potions are both one of the extremely cheap potions and better than the metal detector in every way, plus I don't use stopwatch or dps meter anyway.

I only use REK. I would use goblin tech but Spelunker Potions are both one of the extremely cheap potions and better than the metal detector in every way, plus I don't use stopwatch or dps meter anyway.
Metal detector synergizes well with spelunker because it has about twice the range, meaning you can tell what general direction to look for treasure and then use the spelunker potion to find it exactly. And DPS meter is pretty helpful for experimenting with weapons or builds. I agree Stopwatch isn’t much though.

Spelunker Potions only highlight the ores on your screen. They don't tell you whether the ores, herbs, Life Crystals, chests, etc., are nearby, which is what the Metal Detector does. Without the Metal Detector, you could waste your Spelunker Potions trying to find something that isn't there. What I do is I visit the environment that what I'm looking for is found, wait for what I'm looking for to appear on the Metal Detector, then drink a Spelunker Potion to find it.

Back
Top Bottom