What is the point of more than 1 hook on a grap hook

I believe it’s for two things: to suspend yourself somewhere in midair, and to be able to grapple somewhere else without falling. Although both of those roles are done better by the Static and Dual Hooks, so I think it’s just an outdated mechanic.

Usually you just want whatever hook has the highest range and velocity so you can use it to fling yourself better, and ignore the number of hooks.

I see it's main purpose to offer a different form of mobility, a bit similair to Plantera.

It's use is depended on the terrain, so it's a bit niche compared with the modern movement options.
But I still see it's use by, for example, crossing a corridor filled with lava, when mining Hellstone without building blocks, or having an option to stay in mid-air while preserving the pull and fling mechanic.

With only one hook, it's difficult to cling on to distant tiles without falling down and losing grip of your hook. With two or more grappling hooks, you are able to grapple onto a block without the risk of plunging into the ground, basically making your surroundings easier to traverse and far less riskier as well.

Last edited:
I believe it’s for two things: to suspend yourself somewhere in midair, and to be able to grapple somewhere else without falling. Although both of those roles are done better by the Static and Dual Hooks, so I think it’s just an outdated mechanic.

Usually you just want whatever hook has the highest range and velocity so you can use it to fling yourself better, and ignore the number of hooks.
Yes, but you don't get either of those hooks until hardmode. The Ivy Whip provides what you described in Pre-Hardmode.

Basically, you can afford more versatile movement, and not fall whenever you grapple somewhere else.
You can suspend yourself midair and also loOK AT ME IM PLANTERA

Multiple hooks help you reposition yourself if you're mining or building, and can potentially save you from falling if you miss with one hook while mid-air. That said, I find that the best hooks only have one hook, as after a certain point hooks became more useful for me in the vein of propelling myself forward and manoeuvring (I hate spelling this) around, and that I have to manually dislodge myself with a jump with multi-hooks works antithetical to that strategy. In addition, multi-hooks also seem to lack the velocity and range of many single hooks. I found myself using the Diamond Hook for far longer than I was probably intended to, and the Bat Hook (the few times a year it's available) all the way until the Moon Lord.

That the Bat Hook received such a nerf in 1.4 was disappointing actually, both the shoot and pull-in speed were reduced. It doesn't invalidate it but it makes me wonder why Relogic didn't just buff the other hooks (or add more single hooks) more substantially. Even mods that add hooks never seem to add single hooks.

That the Bat Hook received such a nerf in 1.4 was disappointing actually, both the shoot and pull-in speed were reduced. It doesn't invalidate it but it makes me wonder why Relogic didn't just buff the other hooks (or add more single hooks) more substantially. Even mods that add hooks never seem to add single hooks.
1.4 did add the Hook of Dissonance, which is the best single hook in terms of range and shoot speed. It also pulls in extremely quickly, and stops you from taking damage while being pulled in.

1.4 did add the Hook of Dissonance, which is the best single hook in terms of range and shoot speed. It also pulls in extremely quickly, and stops you from taking damage while being pulled in.
The issue with it is that it can’t be used to fling. Since it teleports you to the position of the hook, you lose all momentum to grapple to objects instead of get more. It’s not a bad item, it’s actually quite useful, but it doesn’t fill up the niche Bat Hook had.

The issue with it is that it can’t be used to fling. Since it teleports you to the position of the hook, you lose all momentum to grapple to objects instead of get more. It’s not a bad item, it’s actually quite useful, but it doesn’t fill up the niche Bat Hook had.
I don't think that it actually teleports you, but it does pull you way too fast to fling yourself.

As a lot of other people above have said, it does help with more precise positioning, and not falling into lava or into a chasm when grappling again. It also prevents enemies from knocking you back in situations you don't have a shield on you.

Another big reason in addition to those. I love the triple/quadriple type hooks because it lets me feel like Doctor Octopus from Spiderman. Being able to attach a whole extra set of limbs to easily move around the environment is a large pleasure difficult to find in other games.

Back
Top Bottom