PC What is the weakest class in your opinion, as of the release of 1.4?

Also defense is supposed to be its selling point but falls off super quickly in any mode other than Normal.

Yeah, I mean at least the post-plantera sets have either a ton of damage or plain old damage reduction, but everything pre-plantera is the place melee struggles with to begin with.

probably either melee/summoner by not much it's that they both have a point in the game where they're weakest in

Probably Summoner, for me anyway. When I played Summoner the only characteristic I actually appreciated about it was that, like Melee, it didn't rely on mechanic micromanagement (like mana or ammo). I'm well aware it still technically used mana, but it was mostly irrelevant since I only had to make the initial casting for the minions, rather than constantly cast attacks like with Mage.

It didn't perform so well in any other department though. It has the single worst defense in the game by a mile and I actively felt that when I got hit, whereas with a class like Melee, I could safely take a hit without having to go all sweaty with dodging to stay alive. I'm not sure why the defense is so low either, I would figure it's because Relogic wanted to "balance" it for the supposed automated, avoidant properties they imagined you'd be able to adopt as a Summoner, but unfortunately I found that this class actually counter-intuitively had the least range of all classes. Having even slightly above average mobility or distancing yourself from the enemy causes summons to drop whatever they're doing (if they're even targeting the enemy in the first place, and not just hovering above you, getting stuck in terrain, or attacking random non-threats) and lethargically hover towards you at a snails pace, in which case they are unable to attack. Since Terraria fights and bosses are heavily built around staying away from the boss and moving constantly, that makes it extremely difficult to have your summons deal any consistent damage. Add that onto the fact that you will take excruciating amounts of damage if you do get hit (which is much more likely if you hug the enemy to maximise Summoner damage, or get distracted by multiple minions flying around the screen and potentially masking enemies or enemy projectiles) and I found it was a dangerous class to play. I did notice that most of the 1.4 summons could mitigate these lethargy or targeting problems older summons had. For example, I could probably go through the entirety of Hardmode with a Sanguine Staff, only replacing it with the Terraprisma, but this meant that I had to force myself to use the pre-1.4 summons for the sake of variety and engaging with the rest of the class, sacrificing efficiency in the process. Even then, most of the better summons in the game actually received nerfs, for whatever reason. Blade Staff was recently locked behind Queen Slime, meaning you can no longer access it pre-Hardmode Boss, meaning I had to fight Queen Slime with a Spider Staff of all things. The Sanguine Staff and Xeno Staff also had their attack speed reduced. I have no idea why this was done, was it under the impression they were overpowered? They were exactly as good as they should've been, it's just the other summons were so comparatively awful that the disparity made the jump in quality that much more apparent.

Whips were a great implementation that gave the class more engagement and for the period where the Obsidian Armour was viable (around post BoC to WoF), I had great fun using them. But it made the weaknesses of the actual summons even more apparent when I found that for the entirety of pre-Hardmode, most of my kills came from said whips, not my summons. Sentries would've been more interesting and worth casting if they were permanent, the two-minute time limit means I never feel like casting them in boss battles in the first place, let alone re-casting during the fight, especially considering I've never noticed them doing that much damage. Give Summoner a bit more defense and every summon the aggression and accuracy of the Sanguine Staff and I might actually put it on par with the other classes, but that would never happen.

Probably Summoner, for me anyway. When I played Summoner the only characteristic I actually appreciated about it was that, like Melee, it didn't rely on mechanic micromanagement (like mana or ammo). I'm well aware it still technically used mana, but it was mostly irrelevant since I only had to make the initial casting for the minions, rather than constantly cast attacks like with Mage.

It didn't perform so well in any other department though. It has the single worst defense in the game by a mile and I actively felt that when I got hit, whereas with a class like Melee, I could safely take a hit without having to go all sweaty with dodging to stay alive. I'm not sure why the defense is so low either, I would figure it's because Relogic wanted to "balance" it for the supposed automated, avoidant properties they imagined you'd be able to adopt as a Summoner, but unfortunately I found that this class actually counter-intuitively had the least range of all classes. Having even slightly above average mobility or distancing yourself from the enemy causes summons to drop whatever they're doing (if they're even targeting the enemy in the first place, and not just hovering above you, getting stuck in terrain, or attacking random non-threats) and lethargically hover towards you at a snails pace, in which case they are unable to attack. Since Terraria fights and bosses are heavily built around staying away from the boss and moving constantly, that makes it extremely difficult to have your summons deal any consistent damage. Add that onto the fact that you will take excruciating amounts of damage if you do get hit (which is much more likely if you hug the enemy to maximise Summoner damage, or get distracted by multiple minions flying around the screen and potentially masking enemies or enemy projectiles) and I found it was a dangerous class to play. I did notice that most of the 1.4 summons could mitigate these lethargy or targeting problems older summons had. For example, I could probably go through the entirety of Hardmode with a Sanguine Staff, only replacing it with the Terraprisma, but this meant that I had to force myself to use the pre-1.4 summons for the sake of variety and engaging with the rest of the class, sacrificing efficiency in the process. Even then, most of the better summons in the game actually received nerfs, for whatever reason. Blade Staff was recently locked behind Queen Slime, meaning you can no longer access it pre-Hardmode Boss, meaning I had to fight Queen Slime with a Spider Staff of all things. The Sanguine Staff and Xeno Staff also had their attack speed reduced. I have no idea why this was done, was it under the impression they were overpowered? They were exactly as good as they should've been, it's just the other summons were so comparatively awful that the disparity made the jump in quality that much more apparent.

Whips were a great implementation that gave the class more engagement and for the period where the Obsidian Armour was viable (around post BoC to WoF), I had great fun using them. But it made the weaknesses of the actual summons even more apparent when I found that for the entirety of pre-Hardmode, most of my kills came from said whips, not my summons. Sentries would've been more interesting and worth casting if they were permanent, the two-minute time limit means I never feel like casting them in boss battles in the first place, let alone re-casting during the fight, especially considering I've never noticed them doing that much damage. Give Summoner a bit more defense and every summon the aggression and accuracy of the Sanguine Staff and I might actually put it on par with the other classes, but that would never happen.
every class has its weakest point in the game melee pre mech
ranged idk
magic and summoner early phm
Uh, no...? The flinx stuff exists and is incredibly easy to obtain from the start of the game.
but there are no summoner armors until queen bee, also summoner equips aren't availllable until hardmode

ranged idk

but there are no summoner armors until queen bee, also summoner equips aren't availllable until hardmode
Flinx fur coat exists and pygmy necklace is prehardmode now.

ranged idk

You haven’t even looked at summoner gear recently, have you?

Preboss, there’s Flinx Fur Coat and Feral Claws (whip autoswing). You also have Obsidian Armor right after the evil bosses and Pygmy Necklace post-bee.

Hmm. since I don't wna to say what class is weak due to me probably getting a lot of evidence that it is not
I'll just sya each classes low points imo
Summoner:start of the game
Mage:pre-plantera but post-mech
Melee: Post wof pre mech
Ranger:post eye.

Back
Top Bottom