PC What is the weakest class in your opinion, as of the release of 1.4?

Ranged is the worst in my opinion because because spend thousands of resources on ammo and personally, I have more important things to do than gather. Along with that it is quite a struggle to make sure you have the right bullet/arrow for the job in the heat of combat and worms are a pain. I would like to mention that the classes are well balanced and I am only listing the cons of the class that in my opinion is the worst.
Ranged is absolutely not weak. Ichor ammo is basically a good jack of all trades that works for absolutely everything so if you don't know what ammo to use just use that, plus ranged shreds bosses faster than every other class.

If we're talking about pure classes, then is between summon and magic, since ranged and melee are solid classes

Last edited:
Ranged is absolutely not weak. Ichor ammo is basically a good jack of all trades that works for absolutely everything so if you don't know what ammo to use just use that, plus ranged shreds bosses faster than every other class.
Ranged is not weak, I agree - I’ve defeated the Moon Lord with only a Minishark. I am just saying that, in my opinion, ranged is the simply the class that requires the most skill and dedication so therefore isn’t the best class to start with.

Ranged is not weak, I agree - I’ve defeated the Moon Lord with only a Minishark. I am just saying that, in my opinion, ranged is the simply the class that requires the most skill and dedication so therefore isn’t the best class to start with.
Ranged is one of the best to start with, staying far from enemies and bosses is important on the beggining. For me melee is the 2nd hardest, you need to hug the enemies until solar pillar, one mistake and you die.
Magic, for me, is the 3rd hardest because the only problem is mana and recourses for early game, but still good.
Summon is the 1rt hardest to start with and, even with the whips being added, it doesn't help That much so... I think the summon is the weakest more time in-game than the others

Ranged is one of the best to start with, staying far from enemies and bosses is important on the beggining. For me melee is the 2nd hardest, you need to hug the enemies until solar pillar, one mistake and you die.
Magic, for me, is the 3rd hardest because the only problem is mana and recourses for early game, but still good.
Summon is the 1rt hardest to start with and, even with the whips being added, it doesn't help That much so... I think the summon is the weakest more time in-game than the others
Summon isn’t hard if you can stay out of harms way, mage is easy if you collect stars early, and with melee just get a sword with a long range

Yeah, but you still need to hug bosses. And that's the advantage of summon, worry about you instead of the boss life bar, but the low defense is bad and the minions have their limitations and about magic, it's the 2nd easiest class(for me)

Yeah, but you still need to hug bosses. And that's the advantage of summon, worry about you instead of the boss life bar, but the low defense is bad and the minions have their limitations and about magic, it's the 2nd easiest class(for me)
Yeah, Summoner is definitely the *hardest* class to play. Lower weapon availability, the tiny effective range and low survivability, and how much you need to know about the game to mix and match minions and whips well.

I definitely wouldn’t call it the weakest though. I feel like the class’s difficulty makes a lot of people think it’s bad, when in reality there’s a combination of minions and whips in each stage of the game that can outpreform anything else in DPS. Hardest class to play, best payoff in power.

We have a problem here, which thing defines the weakness? The attack? the difficulty? The defense?
With that clear, we can determine which is the weakest on the game.

We have a problem here, which thing defines the weakness? The attack? the difficulty? The defense?
None of those things determine the strength of a class. What determines the strength is the method of attack’s pros and cons, not raw stats that vary between weapons and armour sets.

Nothing, class rankings are always subjective, regardless of how many people purport themselves as being some manner of authority on the matter.

Nothing, class rankings are always subjective, regardless of how many people purport themselves as being some manner of authority on the matter.
DPS and how mathematically effective other stats that the class relies on are not subjective, though. Defense and Movement Speed aren't exactly stats which suit many situations, and have a gigantic problem of being outclassed by almost everything else.

Meaning that if you look at overall DPS, melee tends to lose out until the very end of the game. If you look on other utility stats that the class relies on, melee also tends to lose out until the very end of the game.

DPS and how mathematically effective other stats that the class relies on are not subjective, though. Defense and Movement Speed aren't exactly stats which suit many situations, and have a gigantic problem of being outclassed by almost everything else.

Meaning that if you look at overall DPS, melee tends to lose out until the very end of the game. If you look on other utility stats that the class relies on, melee also tends to lose out until the very end of the game.
I mean I agree, but to be fair I think it’s a bit more complicated than just what numbers the stats have.

Melee has mathematically the lowest DPS and usually the second lowest range behind Summoner. But there’s also the argument that can be made that Melee’s easy to use, spammy weapons with high knockback, literally always having autoswing, and having virtually no resource management makes it the best class to just play when running around underground or in the Dungeon and exploring. There’s a niche group of players who don’t care about combat, and to them Melee is probably the strongest class.

Summoner has the highest DPS out of the four classes as long as you’re in whip range, and to me that makes it one of the strongest classes. But a lot of players aren’t comfortable with operating at minimum range with low survivability stats (except when using Valhalla, in which case you drop a decent chunk of your damage) and low knockback. If you just can’t work with virtually no survivability, I can see why you’d call Summoner the weakest, even though I *strongly* disagree.

I think there’s a general best to worst class scale looking at numbers like damage and range, but Rgmemo is right that a lot of personal preference goes into it too.

DPS changes with each individual weapon, you're correct that high DPS is always better than lower DPS, so that would be an objective metric, but since it isn't the only variable involved in a class by any means, it doesn't decide any sort of comprehensive, factual ranking system. You can have a view on defense and movement speed, which are mechanics (along with every other gameplay variable) that are attributed individual value just like DPS, but they're still subjective since this game has more than one mechanic. The only stat melee feasibly falls on is DPS, but any of the best melee weapons at the stage of progression you can acquire them at have perfectly serviceable DPS. Otherwise it has the best defense by far, the most accessory variety by far, the most weapon variety by far, benefits tools the most, has the best mobility, no micro-management at all, flasks are extremely effective consumables, projectile options at every single stage of the game, and many buffs from even generalised sources like the Celestial Shell or Well Fed specifically buff melee in some capacity.

DPS changes with each individual weapon, you're correct that high DPS is always better than lower DPS, so that would be an objective metric, but since it isn't the only variable involved in a class by any means, it doesn't decide any sort of comprehensive, factual ranking system. You can have a view on defense and movement speed, which are mechanics (along with every other gameplay variable) that are attributed individual value just like DPS, but they're still subjective since this game has more than one mechanic. The only stat melee feasibly falls on is DPS, but any of the best melee weapons at the stage of progression you can acquire them at have perfectly serviceable DPS. Otherwise it has the best defense by far, the most accessory variety by far, the most weapon variety by far, benefits tools the most, has the best mobility, no micro-management at all, flasks are extremely effective consumables, projectile options at every single stage of the game, and many buffs from even generalised sources like the Celestial Shell or Well Fed specifically buff melee in some capacity.
How does melee have the best mobility or accessory variety?

Back
Top Bottom