What is your favorite book?

Youfad

Skeletron Prime
I like to read a lot, books are awesome, and they are definitely better than the movies!

So I wanted to create a thread to see what your favorite books are, and why!

Personally one of my favorite series are the Inheritance Cycle, it has, dragons, dragon riders, magic, whole different languages, elves who control how trees grow, and dwarfs who like to dig. All in all amazing books, would recommend them to anyone.

Then comes the Rot&Ruin series, zombies, 'nuff said, but seriously these book take a whole different look on killing zombies!

These are some of my favorites, what are yours?

My favorite would be the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Contrary to what the title is, it's not about warriors. It's about the adventures of four clans of wild cats who have to deal with natural things such as droughts, floods, disease, and losing their homes to humans, and also more... unnatural... things, such as their ancestors ceasing to communicate with them, and being invaded by ghost cats.

I mostly have favorite sagas, not individual books, because I like quality and quantity.

- The Robots, Empire and Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Asimov is basically the reason why I started writing fan fiction, even though I would never dare trying to do a fanfiction to one of his stories. I'm not worthy!
- The 2001 saga (2001, 2010, 2061, 3001.) Arthur C. Clarke is my second favorite author.
- Nightfall, by Asimov - one of the best novels I had the pleasure of reading... Twenty times and counting.
- Fountains of Paradise by Clarke.
- The Roving Mind by Asimov. It's not a novel, but a collection of essays, but it's still an interesting read.

My favorite would be the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. Contrary to what the title is, it's not about warriors. It's about the adventures of four clans of wild cats who have to deal with natural things such as droughts, floods, disease, and losing their homes to humans, and also more... unnatural... things, such as their ancestors ceasing to communicate with them, and being invaded by ghost cats.
I really like that series too!:)
But my favorite is a series called Fablehaven. It's got dragons, and magic, and a whole lotta stuff :happy:.

I used to read a lot more than I do now, and it's kinda hard to pick back through all the books I've read in the past but haven't in a while.

For novels, I'm quite torn between Raptor Red and Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.

For serials, definitely Animorphs. ;) Though I'm also quite partial to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

The original six dune books. I've never read anything that has topped Herbert's world building abilities. Though the Chung Kuo series rivals it, even though I've only read through the first 3 books in the series.

I've always been a fan of the middle-Earth series since I was a kid, especially the Silmarillion. I mean, Tolkien pretty much invented the fantasy genre.

More recently, I just finished the Quantum Thief and am about to start the sequel. The first book was awesome, especially if you are into the quantum science and computing. Even if you aren't, it is practically the definition of what good post-human scifi is.

Nicholas Flamel series, Artemis Fowl series, Little Brother (just finished).
I like modern writing like these, who get to the story without getting bogged down by "Creative Writing Details" that take 10 pages to describe a scene. While there is a place for stuff like that, to somebody like me it just gets annoying to read about the next image that the author describes in every detail he could think of to make it sound more intelligent.

Gotta love classic high fantasy. I have been reading through Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" and it is amazing. I'm also a big fan of Patrick Rothfuss's "The Kingkiller Chronicle."

Two favorites, one for legacy and one for 'would read again'

Harry potter series. Wouldn't read it again and again. Maybe once every few years. But I like this series as it's the one that got me into liking to read. I remember finding a battered book on my class bookshelf: Harry potter and the sorcerers stone. Since it was a dedicated period of reading I was like 'might as well otherwise the teacher is going to 'have a talk' about it again. Something no kid actually likes and if intelligent enough to figure how to avoid will do so by nearly any means. So I sat down and began reading rather quickly, as per habit. Now I want to say that my entire problem with reading was the fact that I started as a speed reader and would be both annoyed and somewhat afraid at becoming just like the rest of the kids who read. like. robots. by. talking. like. every. word. was. a. sentience. And that teachers constantly tried to force me to read outloud which for the reason mentioned before I hated. So after reading it the first time I was offered to go see a movie by a relative. I think it was my aunt. The one my immediate family can no longer stand(shame ): ). I watched the movie and enjoyed it... although I noted quickly the discrepancies between book and movie. So going back I read it again with the intent on finding the discrepancies. This lead to me deciding on my own 'books are better then video' and I have never looked back since. For that reason alone, I have enjoyed years of reading since. But I still wont read outloud. I hate it.

The second series I truly enjoyed was the dragonlance series. And it's various spinoffs. I haven't delt with them all but I have enjoyed those I have and if I could find the books would read again. I first found one on my mothers shelve of random books. I believe there was a picture of a blue dragon with it's black haired woman rider nearby... but I am not sure if that is the one. I honestly don't remember. Do know however that kang's regiment(?) spinoff was a highlight of mine. Didn't read the entire thing due to life but did enjoy it! :)

While I won't recommend harry potter to anyone; It's tired and done a dozen times now by every relative you know(probably) I will the dragonlance series. It is good. That is all there is to say.

---Merged myself---
Hopefully automerge will catch this. If not someone else probably posted in meantime. Not editing directly due to intended size of 'edit'. If automerge misses it: Sorry

I wanted to add that one of the reasons the dragonlance series has some high regard is it made up my mind on what fantasy genre should be. I have come to reason that not all knights should be good, not all dragons are bad, that magical beasts can be reasoned with far better then other authors tend to allow, and that thieves are :red:ing awesome. Seriously. :red:ing. Awesome.

I liked the entire universe being painted by many good authors. There were many arcs and characters. When I would finish a book and feel that usual disappointment that comes from wishing the book kept going I could sate that with another book. When it comes to stuff like harry potter I found myself going years to wait.

Hmm... smaller then I thought it'd be. Oh well. Maybe I'll throw in that I hated the HP movies not putting in WHY Ron was afraid of spiders? How did you miss that?!

Last edited:
the hero's of olympus and percy jackson series

i just like mythology
I just ordered the Blood of Olympus last Tuesday! Should arrive in the next two weeks.
Two favorites, one for legacy and one for 'would read again'

Harry potter series. Wouldn't read it again and again. Maybe once every few years. But I like this series as it's the one that got me into liking to read. I remember finding a battered book on my class bookshelf: Harry potter and the sorcerers stone. Since it was a dedicated period of reading I was like 'might as well otherwise the teacher is going to 'have a talk' about it again. Something no kid actually likes and if intelligent enough to figure how to avoid will do so by nearly any means. So I sat down and began reading rather quickly, as per habit. Now I want to say that my entire problem with reading was the fact that I started as a speed reader and would be both annoyed and somewhat afraid at becoming just like the rest of the kids who read. like. robots. by. talking. like. every. word. was. a. sentience. And that teachers constantly tried to force me to read outloud which for the reason mentioned before I hated. So after reading it the first time I was offered to go see a movie by a relative. I think it was my aunt. The one my immediate family can no longer stand(shame ): ). I watched the movie and enjoyed it... although I noted quickly the discrepancies between book and movie. So going back I read it again with the intent on finding the discrepancies. This lead to me deciding on my own 'books are better then video' and I have never looked back since. For that reason alone, I have enjoyed years of reading since. But I still wont read outloud. I hate it.

The second series I truly enjoyed was the dragonlance series. And it's various spinoffs. I haven't delt with them all but I have enjoyed those I have and if I could find the books would read again. I first found one on my mothers shelve of random books. I believe there was a picture of a blue dragon with it's black haired woman rider nearby... but I am not sure if that is the one. I honestly don't remember. Do know however that kang's regiment(?) spinoff was a highlight of mine. Didn't read the entire thing due to life but did enjoy it! :)

While I won't recommend harry potter to anyone; It's tired and done a dozen times now by every relative you know(probably) I will the dragonlance series. It is good. That is all there is to say.

---Merged myself---
Hopefully automerge will catch this. If not someone else probably posted in meantime. Not editing directly due to intended size of 'edit'. If automerge misses it: Sorry

I wanted to add that one of the reasons the dragonlance series has some high regard is it made up my mind on what fantasy genre should be. I have come to reason that not all knights should be good, not all dragons are bad, that magical beasts can be reasoned with far better then other authors tend to allow, and that thieves are :red:ing awesome. Seriously. :red:ing. Awesome.

I liked the entire universe being painted by many good authors. There were many arcs and characters. When I would finish a book and feel that usual disappointment that comes from wishing the book kept going I could sate that with another book. When it comes to stuff like harry potter I found myself going years to wait.

Hmm... smaller then I thought it'd be. Oh well. Maybe I'll throw in that I hated the HP movies not putting in WHY Ron was afraid of spiders? How did you miss that?!

Harry Potter is awesome! I just finished the books very recently though, I know I am late to the party.

Uh. Considering the question for real... I can't decide >.<
But it gotta be The Langoliers by Stephen King. It is actually a novella. I had no sleep in that day and i decided to read that novella. It was like 6-8 am in the morning.
Also "The Age of Miracles" was a good book also. That was a totally random choice. But the book was amazing.

My all-time favorite book is "The book thief" by Markus Zusak.
I've read the Harry Potter and the Parcy Jackson series. They are really good!
I started Game of Thrones, but I've been too tired to read lately.
Oh, and the "Tomorrow" book series is good too. (It's first book is: Tomorrow, when the war began.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention Hunger Games and Lord of the Rings !! >_>

Back
Top Bottom