What is your favourite Galaxy/Nebula and why?

Unbr34k4bl3

Steampunker
As most people should know, we are in a vast ever expanding universe full of galaxies, black holes and other cool and dangerous stuff.

I wanted to know of you guys: What is your favourite galaxy and why?

I personally am a lover of Messier 31st - Andromeda
09-01-2008_Andromeda_3.jpg

I love it, because it is our next doort neighbour.
It is 2.5 x 10^6 (2'500'000) Lightyears (or 2.3651826 x 10^19 km) away from our galaxy.
It has a diameter of 140'000 Lightyears and a mass of 8 x 10^9 solar masses. (1 solar mass = 332'946 Earth masses which is = 5,9722 x 10^24 kg)
It is one of the most studied galaxies (if not the most).
It looks awesome with the correct filters and coloring used.
It is my background. :)
7decfcc22c.png

Show me yours and explain me why you love it! #justnerdstuff

LG Unbr34k

P.S. I used superscript with the ^ notations which means 1 x 10^9 = 1 with 9 zeros. = 1'000'000'000.

Ah a thread I could get into
Anyways my favorite is the Eagle Nebula or the Pillars of Creation whichever name you prefer.
p1501bw.jpg
I like it because of the color. Just something about that rusty orange surrounded by tropical blue...

Ah a thread I could get into
Anyways my favorite is the Eagle Nebula or the Pillars of Creation whichever name you prefer.
p1501bw.jpg
I like it because of the color. Just something about that rusty orange surrounded by tropical blue...
Ah, Interesting. And I know what you mean. ;P

I prefer space dust if I'm honest, some of the colours are just so damn amazing.

As for galaxy lets just say the Milky Way because that's the only one I know lmao

I prefer space dust if I'm honest, some of the colours are just so damn amazing.

As for galaxy lets just say the Milky Way because that's the only one I know lmao
If you're interested in galaxies, search for the Messier Objects. :)
M31 trough M33 are a good point to start at, since they're the galaxies nearby of the Milky Way :)

Wow. Space is awesome wherever you look, so I find it hard to choose really.
But here are some nice ones:
Horsehead Nebula;
Barnard_33.jpg
Horsehead close-up (haha, close-up he says, not even close);
horseheadir_hubble_1225.jpg
Helix Nebula; (I SEE YOU!)
helix03_hst.jpg
IRAS 05437+2502; So damn eerie...
ghost-like-nebula-hubble-image-100818-02.jpg
M74 galaxy;
sci_galaxy_1_0719.jpg
Antennae Galaxies; bumping into eachother;
Antennae_galaxies_xl.jpg

I could keep pasting pictures into this topic and never tire of it. Buuut I better not. :p

Wow. Space is awesome wherever you look, so I find it hard to choose really.
But here are some nice ones:
Horsehead Nebula;
Barnard_33.jpg
Horsehead close-up (haha, close-up he says, not even close);
horseheadir_hubble_1225.jpg
Helix Nebula; (I SEE YOU!)
helix03_hst.jpg
IRAS 05437+2502; So damn eerie...
ghost-like-nebula-hubble-image-100818-02.jpg
M74 galaxy;
sci_galaxy_1_0719.jpg
Antennae Galaxies; bumping into eachother;
Antennae_galaxies_xl.jpg

I could keep pasting pictures into this topic and never tire of it. Buuut I better not. :p
Heheheh, I don't mind at all! It's interessting to see what other people like :)
The helix nebula always reminds me of Sauron :D

Also If you didn't know: In about 3'750'000'000 years, Andromeda will start to merge with the Milky Way (Would love to see it in action...)

IRAS 05437+2502 Really is eerie.. gives me goosebumps looking at it :3

Also If you didn't know: In about 3'750'000'000 years, Andromeda will start to merge with the Milky Way (Would love to see it in action...)
Yep, I know. :) *proud space nerd*
To be honest, I'm fine with not having to witness that. It feels like it would be the world's largest traffic accident on a cosmic scale. :eek:
Maybe there's an Andromedan planet or star with Earth's name on it (if Earth still exists around that time).

Yep, I know. :) *proud space nerd*
To be honest, I'm fine with not having to witness that. It feels like it would be the world's largest traffic accident on a cosmic scale. :eek:
Maybe there's an Andromedan planet or star with Earth's name on it (if Earth still exists around that time).
Heheh, maybe Andromeda calls The Milkay Way Andromeda? :D

Anyone interested in space should google the objects mentioned in these posts. You'll find striking images from ground-based observatories as well as Hubble and Kepler (visible and ultraviolet light), Chandra (X-rays), Spitzer (infrared), and many other earth- or sun-orbiting space telescopes.

When viewing these pictures, keep in mind that false color is often used to combine images from non-visible forms of radiation with the wavelengths our eyes can see. The resulting images are spectacular and offer many insights beyond what visible light shows, but human eyes could never see things as the combined images show them.

First, a few words on M31 and M33.

M31 / NGC 224 in Andromeda is big and close to us — so big and close that it's easy to see its brightest part, the galactic core, during the northern hemisphere's late autumn without any optical aid at all in a reasonably dark, moonless sky. It's a fuzzy elliptical patch that appears to be about the size of a quarter moon. With a medium-sized amateur telescope its tightly wound spiral arms and dust lanes become clearly visible. Like our own Milky Way (which is part of the Andromeda cluster of galaxies) M31 is orbited by many satellite galaxies, of which M32 / NGC 221 is brightest and easiest to spot.

M33 / NGC 598, the Pinwheel* Galaxy in the constellation Triangulum, appears even larger in our sky but it's far more difficult to see because its surface brightness is so low; that is, its light is spread out over a bigger area. Much better in photographs than in a small telescope. Even in the clearest skies my Celestron Super C8 Plus shows an unsatisfying, blotchy blur, nothing resembling the photos produced by earth-based or space observatories. It's another member of the Andromeda group, and may or may not be a satellite of M31. It's the third most massive galaxy in the group, after M31 and the Milky Way.

It's impossible for me to pick one favorite, but I'll venture a few (beyond the two perennially popular systems above).

The interacting pair M81 / NGC 3031 and M82 / NGC 3034 in Ursa Major have been among my favorites for decades, ever since I first spotted them on a night so cold (below zero degrees Fahrenheit) the water vapor coming off my eyeball made frost crystals when it touched on the telescope eyepiece. Though it can't be seen in amateur instruments, gravitational interaction between the two has pulled and pushed hydrogen in both galaxies into distorted forms and caused a "starburst" of exceptionally rapid star formation in M82.

NGC 660, a polar-ring galaxy, is a twisted complex with a ring of stars that orbit the core the "wrong way" — over the galactic poles instead of in the galactic equatorial plane. Polar-ring galaxies are quite rare, and NGC 660 is one of the prettiest.

NGC 4314, a starburst galaxy in Coma Berenices, features a prominent ring of brilliant new star-forming regions; we're lucky to be seeing these, since they last just a brief time before fading.

Finally I offer the enigmatic Hoag's Object in Serpens Caput, which (perhaps due to its odd structure) has escaped listing in any of the big galaxy catalogs. It is a splendid example of a ring galaxy, with a compact reddish core surrounded by a ring of newer blue-white stars with apparently almost empty space between. Although ring galaxies are very rare, a second, much more distant ring galaxy is visible through the space separating the outer and inner portions of Hoag's Object.

Ask me a year from now and I'll likely mention half a dozen others, perhaps barred spirals or other unusual forms.

Finally, on galactic collisions. Remember that galaxies are composed almost entirely of empty space. When two galaxies collide, they pass through each other, the stars with their planetary systems most likely sliding right past one another largely undisturbed. Interstellar dust and gas collide at relativistic speeds, however, generating lots of high-energy radiation that might be hazardous. It's likely that some star systems get ejected from their parent galaxies, either to become extragalactic systems or parts of long, distorted-seeming filaments reaching out from the original galaxies. Not a smash-up but a long, slow interaction.

Heheh, maybe Andromeda calls The Milkay Way Andromeda? :D
Of the 731 intelligent lifeforms living there, sure, maybe some of them do! :p
Finally, on galactic collisions. Remember that galaxies are composed almost entirely of empty space. When two galaxies collide, they pass through each other, the stars with their planetary systems most likely sliding right past one another largely undisturbed. Interstellar dust and gas collide at relativistic speeds, however, generating lots of high-energy radiation that might be hazardous. It's likely that some star systems get ejected from their parent galaxies, either to become extragalactic systems or parts of long, distorted-seeming filaments reaching out from the original galaxies. Not a smash-up but a long, slow interaction.
I saw a program where a scientist explained that and yeah, it's a slow dance, but still, with so many stars and planets in those two galaxies I can't help but think about the chance Earth being destroyed/irradiated by getting too close to invading stars, Earth having its orbit altered and being flung into stars/planets (or turn rogue), Earth getting torn apart by a huge planet/star's gravity that passes by or Earth getting relocated far away from any star and freezing over.
The possibilities are endless! :D
But it's okay. Humankind will have ceased existing a loooooong time before that.

The Samsung Galaxy.

... Okay, serious answer? Andromeda. Because it's the only one mankind has a snowball's chance in hell to get to in my lifetime... Or at least send a ship at it, I don't plan on living for a fw thousand years to see it arrive if it goes at Earthly speeds.

The Samsung Galaxy.
I like that one too. Especially the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with pressure-sensitive Wacom stylus.

... Okay, serious answer? Andromeda. Because it's the only one mankind has a snowball's chance in hell to get to in my lifetime... Or at least send a ship at it, I don't plan on living for a fw thousand years to see it arrive if it goes at Earthly speeds.

I'm afraid it would take a bit longer than that. About ten million times as long. (If someone would like to check my arithmetic I'd be grateful.)

It takes two and a half million years for light to travel from here to the Andromeda Galaxy. The fastest space vehicle humans have ever launched (speed relative to Earth, not counting two probes sent into the Sun's immense gravity well which achieved higher speeds relative to the sun) is New Horizons, currently closing in on the dwarf planet Pluto; its top speed is a bit less than 60,000 km/hr. That's about 1/18,000 the speed of light, making the time for a New Horizons-type craft to travel to Andromeda around 2,500,000 × 18,000 ≈ 45,000,000,000 (forty-five billion) years.

For comparison, in less than one billion years* there will be insufficient carbon dioxide and oxygen in Earth's atmosphere to support multicellular life. In five billion years the Sun will expand into a red giant, engulfing the long-dead Earth. In eight billion years the Sun will have become a white dwarf.
* This assumes Earth's orbit has not changed significantly; past a quarter billion years solar-system celestial mechanics can't predict planetary orbits due to the chaotic effects of dynamic systems, so it could take more or less time than this.

[edited to add] Another way of thinking about the distance to Andromeda is to consider that when we look at it, the photons entering our eyes and stimulating our retinas have been traveling for two and a half million years. When they began their journey, the genus Homo (of which Homo sapiens is the most recent species) had not yet evolved. Australopithecus was around, though.

Last edited:
I consider light speed to be "Earthly speed" too, since we earthling scrubs can't come up with ways to go beyond it. So yeah, was thinking FTL travels when I said "in my lifetime."

Ah. Even then, it's two and a half million years.

Physics disallows lightspeed travel, in any case. A big disappointment to someone who, like me, was raised on space opera in which people zipped from star to star in days or hours. Material objects, meaning anything that has mass, just can't travel that fast.

The faster an object is traveling, the more energy is required to accelerate. To accelerate a single subatomic particle to almost-but-not-quite light speed, that particle would somehow (without an engine, it's just a particle) have to fling all the remaining mass in the universe the other way very hard.

Current theory makes it look as if wormholes, if they exist, won't do the trick either. Any material object entering would come out the other end as a beam of high-energy gamma rays, not coherent matter. The atoms would be torn to bits.

So it looks as if even our own satellite galaxies, such as the Magellanic Clouds (which I'm sorry to say aren't visible in my sky but I think you can see them) are out of reach.

But we can see them! And what marvels they are.

Eh, I see the laws of physics, or any other scientific law, as they should be seen: What science knows now. The whole "our science tells us no so it's no" standpoint is, to me, a bit too religious (the whole "believing what's in an old book without even trying to see if it's right" part, mostly.) Thirty years ago, tablets were science fiction, there were only nine planets, and a Terabyte of storage took several very costly computers to achieve.

I've learnt my lesson about "SciFi." I'll be waiting for FTL travel.

Eh, I see the laws of physics, or any other scientific law, as they should be seen: What science knows now. The whole "our science tells us no so it's no" standpoint is, to me, a bit too religious (the whole "believing what's in an old book without even trying to see if it's right" part, mostly.) Thirty years ago, tablets were science fiction, there were only nine planets, and a Terabyte of storage took several very costly computers to achieve.

I've learnt my lesson about "SciFi." I'll be waiting for FTL travel.
In which kind of way?
Like having a certain particle or like Wormholes? :p

There's engineering and then there's science.Tablets = engineering. More planets = improved instruments (engineering) confirming what many scientists believed to be the case.

As I understand it (and I didn't get past undergraduate studies in astrophysics) for there to be faster-than-light travel would require an upheaval in the laws of physics that would make the world we see around us impossible.

Anyway, back to galaxies. Speaking of the Clouds of Magellan, are they visible where you live? I seem to recall you mentioning where you live in another thread, and if my memory isn't playing tricks you have a grand view of them. Look like two chunks of Milky Way that got torn off, but they're really two small galaxies that are slowly being pulled apart by our own galaxy's gravitation. Sooner or later they'll merge with the Milky Way galaxy.

I so wish I could see them, but I'll never be able to travel. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom