PC What keeps you guys playing still?

For me, overall it is just the sense of exploration & collecting items to continue to evolve my character and home to become better.

With how each Terraria world generates new & fresh Worlds each time, even though there are similar factors throughout Terraria Worlds. It's different each time, and I like to try and build something different each time during those. The sense of adventure and collecting items never gets old for me. I'll usually play all of my playthroughs using weapons from different classes. I've never been a fan of restricting myself to just one class's weapons/accessories.

The updates have also been a factor. Every major update. I enjoy completely starting fresh and clearing out the old worlds & characters I had before. And just taking in all the changes that take place, it felt like from 1.1 going to 1.2 the game felt like a completely new game with all the changes that took effect, from adding more types of wood & furniture to the better backgrounds. The game evolves very well.

Probably another thing is that I never get tired of seeing the effects of the Corruption/Crimson/Hallow Biomes in Worlds. I wish more games had things like the Corruption, it's effect on the blocks & creatures that live there are always fun to see. On different playthroughs your Underground Desert may be Hallowed instead of Corrupted.

Overall with the items, weapons, and bulding materials, there's just so much to collect and build, the accessories make it feel like my character itself is evolving. And finding the coolest items are why I enjoy games like this. With having over 1,000 hours between the Steam and GOG versions on PC. I feel like Terraria is one of those games I will never get tired of.

Hello Robo and welcome to the Forums, I can see you've joined recently.

It is better to ask on a member's profile for information like this or to Private Message them as it is off-topic from the Thread.

Anytime you have questions, you can also PM myself or any Moderator. :)

If you ever would like to play when you start a new playthrough please let me know I'd love to see your creative ways of building your buildings, I always do the simple easy to manage NPC type buildings, I need to be more creative like I used to be back in the Minecraft Alpha days, hah. I'm a streamer so I'd probably stream the whole thing.

Hundreds of hours of farming and building, new updates, and the pretty unique fun of co-op walkthroughs even though I only reached end game in a co-op walkthough once while the others were all discontinued mostly before hardmode.
For myself, co-op walkthorughs are side walks and I've been sticking to one character and one world since 1.2. Once I achieved all my goals at 1.2.3, I was looking forward to building 2 new villas to dig into new mines and gather as much ores (especially iron) as possible before the next update, and I was thinking about a new mansion that I would build and about flattening and purifying the terrain between my mansion that is far from the spawn point and the other one that's close to the spawn point and the other structures like the lava and water producers, and the obsidian reactor. So you could say I mine and build until an update comes.

Last edited:
i usually keep restarting, but with certain rules each time, like only using a certain class of weapon, or medium/hardcore. Things like that

Normally, it's the sense of discovery in a new world. I find Terraria to be very fun to explore, specifically in underground biomes. In what way it's generated, the loot I'll find, the dangers, ore mining, what paths to take... all of this, as standard as it is in Terraria experience is enough for me to keep me motivated to go on new worlds, it has always been like that everytime for me since day one, never losing it's charm for some reason.

Then there's the building aspect. Honestly, when I started playing I thought killing stuff, progression and collecting were going to be the main points to cautivate me for as long as I played, and I didn't really care at all for building. Something must've happened along the way, because it's now my favorite thing to do in Terraria and whenever I play it's basically the only thing I do. I strive to get better at it, often starting from scratch until I'm satisfied, which rarely happens. It's even more entertaining when I make the world + building + character/s go hand in hand thematically throwing a little bit of creativity in there. Maybe I'll play in a world choosing a specific biome and take it from there.

As long as I have ideas for building, coupled with that sense of discovery, I don't think I'll get completely bored of the game, since I still do things. And speaking of that, there are some I still haven't done after all this time. For example I've always played as a warrior, I have yet to play as a dedicated mage, ranger or summoner. I haven't tried to collect all the items (or most of them lategame) or do any particular type of run/challenge.

So yeah, I'm far from getting bored. ^^

Challenges probably take up a lot of my playtime. I find challenges to be a lot of fun, and I've thought of a few in the past/stole some:
The dwarf challenge: I kinda messed with the rules for this, but the whole idea I used was to just stay under at least one block of the naturally generated surface. Doing this forced me to mine out a space for all the houses for all the npcs, and see how far I went.

The Arkhalis Challenge: This one, I did purely because I had finally found the Arkhalis after 800 hours of play time, so I decided to put it to the test. I had generated a new character and world, and used only the Arkhalis for damaging purposes. I was able to beat Skeletron prime, but no other mechanical bosses(Damage output isn't high enough for the destroyer, and the twins, I couldn't get up close to them)

Some challenge with a friend of mine: I forget the exact name, but I know someone else came up with this. This is when you spawn, and you build a tall wall, right on spawn. You and your friend decide who gets what side, and you are dedicated to that one side. One cannot go to the other side for any means. Whoever's stuck with the dungeon beats skeletron alone, and whoever is stuck with the jungle, they have to solo Queen Bee. Unless of course they drag a boss to the middle, where they could potentially fly through through the blocks separating the two sides, allowing the other player to help.

Upside down challenge: this is simply used with the gravity globe, and you're upside down for the entire playthrough. Personally never tried it, but have considered doing it.
Thinking of more off the top of my head,
you could try a limited accessory(limit yourself to 1,2,3,4 accessories)
Use tedit to fill the sky with water to effectively live in one huge ocean.

Aside from all that, I still find enjoyment constructing huge structures. One of my favorite things I've built is a co-op portal course. Which involved weighted pressure plates that actuated blocks and whatnot that the player had to shoot portals and use their friends portals at the same time.

That's about all though, and of course plating with friends on top of that.

I love trying to make new ways to defeat the game and thinking the story of your character and storytelling what he/she is doing is really a good cherry on a cake.

I am currently working on a fast Queen Bee/Skeletron run for summoners, ignoring any Corruption/Crimson thingamajigs.

Replaying with restrictions have been the most fun for me. (e.g: Magic weapons only, no-arenas allowed, collect all magic weapons)

I do a "normal playthrough" once a new update releases, then I do a few class playthroughs. I would use mods, but tmodloader is way to confusing for me.

I dunno honestly. Terraria and Minecraft are some of the only games I come back to. If I have to come up with a reason... I guess it would be the fact that I like the idea of my character makin' a wooden sword, then using that dinky stick to kill a slime with great difficulty. Then flashforward to my character havin' godlike gear, and fightin' things that could be only be described as deities.

It just has that certain... charm, ya know? A certain demeanor that makes come back with full interest each and every time.

At least, this is what I think.

Back
Top Bottom