What misconceptions did you have when you started playing?

A very common misconception (not necessarily mine, but one that crops up often) is the carry-over assumption from Minecraft that light levels impact enemy spawns in Terraria.

This misconception came so naturally to people, and was so widespread, that it has often cropped up on the wiki, and when Engine Software created the Console version and added loading screen tips, they even included a loading tip that said that light levels prevented enemy spawns. This loading tip still existed in some contemporary versions of the game as recently as 2-3 years ago, and probably still does exist on old-gen and 3DS.

Needless to say, this has never been the case, but its interesting how a single fact about Minecraft mechanics was taken for granted with such a degree of faith that it became a pervasive assumption about Terraria for years, even impacting the in-game loading screen information.

I used to think Vile and Vicious Powder could spread their respective biomes. I know they can now, but this was a misconception I had when they didn't (pre-1.4).

This was my misconception as well. In fact, it was when I discovered this that I asked to change it so that they would. Seemed very odd to me that they did not.

A very common misconception (not necessarily mine, but one that crops up often) is the carry-over assumption from Minecraft that light levels impact enemy spawns in Terraria.
That's interesting... only because I was under the impression, while laying down torches, that I was noticeably reducing the enemy spawn-rate of hostile areas in my game, especially in places such as the Underground Jungle & even near spawn. If it's the case, that light-levels have no effect on enemy spawn, at all, what's happening here exactly? Oftentimes I can brush things off as just being immersion placebo, but this one I was pretty sure about. 🤔 🥤

Side Note: The only experience I've ever had that proves your correction true, is me using a combination of infinite Night Owl Potions & Shine Potions while exploring in Journey Mode. Torches seemed unnecessary & there didn't appear to be any increase to enemy spawn-rates. Since light-levels having no effect is obviously the case, what is effecting enemy spawn (aside from the obvious stuff)?

That's interesting... only because I was under the impression, while laying down torches, that I was noticeably reducing the enemy spawn-rate of hostile areas in my game, especially in places such as the Underground Jungle & even near spawn. If it's the case, that light-levels have no effect on enemy spawn, at all, what's happening here exactly? Oftentimes I can brush things off as just being immersion placebo, but this one I was pretty sure about. 🤔 🥤

Side Note: The only experience I've ever had that proves your correction true, is me using a combination of infinite Night Owl Potions & Shine Potions while exploring in Journey Mode. Torches seemed unnecessary & there didn't appear to be any increase to enemy spawn-rates. Since light-levels having no effect is obviously the case, what is effecting enemy spawn (aside from the obvious stuff)?
Positive Torch Luck iirc might be able to lower enemy spawns? I might have to look into that.

Not neccesarily when I started playing, but right after the drop of 1.2, I found a vein of tungsten on the surface crimson. I thought for a long time that tungsten was the crimson alt to demonite, until I found crimtane ore. Seems like a stupid misconception, but what can you say.

Positive Torch Luck iirc might be able to lower enemy spawns? I might have to look into that.
Well, this was even the case... or at least it felt like the case, in 1.3.5. I'm hoping there's something to this, some kind of overlooked explanation, because if everyone starts shrugging their shoulders, I may just have to pull up some very old Hardcore Adventure footage, showing an undeniable example of exactly what I mean. 🤔🥤

Notably, there was a pitch-dark area in the Underground Jungle, that I couldn't even peek into without being sniped by Wasps, but even with the help of a Flare Gun, I was able to clear the area out somewhat (more like, break up the crowding). After laying torches, the spawn-rate of the Wasps appeared to be a LOT more manageable, compared to when the area was just pitch-dark.

Well, this was even the case... or at least it felt like the case, in 1.3.5. I'm hoping there's something to this, some kind of overlooked explanation, because if everyone starts shrugging their shoulders, I may just have to pull up some very old Hardcore Adventure footage, showing an undeniable example of exactly what I mean. 🤔🥤

Notably, there was a pitch-dark area in the Underground Jungle, that I couldn't even peek into without being sniped by Wasps, but even with the help of a Flare Gun, I was able to clear the area out somewhat (more like, break up the crowding). After laying torches, the spawn-rate of the Wasps appeared to be a LOT more manageable, compared to when the area was just pitch-dark.
Maybe the fact that you couldn't see exactly where the hornet projectiles were coming from made it feel like there were more than there actually were?

If an area is lit up you consider it 'safe' or 'already explored' and thus will generally not stay there long whereas dark areas you slow down and search for treasure or have to do a lot of digging. This give enemies more time to spawn.

Maybe the fact that you couldn't see exactly where the hornet projectiles were coming from made it feel like there were more than there actually were?
It was a bit more complicated than that... the Wasps visually started fleeing into the shadows. The same area they used to snipe me from, was noticeably safer to traverse. It wasn't that the Wasps stopped spawning, that didn't happen. It just felt like they seemed to spawn either much farther away, or much lower, instead of me always walking into an ambush. 🤔🥤

Honestly, it's hard to explain, seeing as how light-levels have no effect, I can't even be sure of what was happening...

If an area is lit up you consider it 'safe' or 'already explored' and thus will generally not stay there long whereas dark areas you slow down and search for treasure or have to do a lot of digging. This give enemies more time to spawn.
This seems plausible, but I don't think this is completely the case either. There's something else happening, because dark areas seem to effect more than just speed of progression, which can be seen even in Spider Caverns.

It was a bit more complicated than that... the Wasps visually started fleeing into the shadows. The same area they used to snipe me from, was noticeably safer to traverse. It wasn't that the Wasps stopped spawning, that didn't happen. It just felt like they seemed to spawn either much farther away, or much lower, instead of me always walking into an ambush. 🤔🥤

Honestly, it's hard to explain, seeing as how light-levels have no effect, I can't even be sure of what was happening...
I think the wasps “fleeing into the shadows” is a result of their AI. Hornets and Moss Hornets love to stay out of reach of the player and flee in the opposite direction so that they can shoot at you. If you jump into a bunch of hornets from the left, it makes sense that they would run to the right which isn’t lit up yet. As for that new area being safer to traverse, you’re not close to the hornets anymore and won’t be shot at as much.

This seems plausible, but I don't think this is completely the case either. There's something else happening, because dark areas seem to effect more than just speed of progression, which can be seen even in Spider Caverns.
Spiders just seem to have a really high spawn rate. You can hang a couple blocks offscreen of even a well lit spider cave and then look into the cave and there’s a :red:ton of spiders.

Thinking about this, it’s really interesting how much the placebo effect can actually change your perception of things.

I'll preface this by saying: if there is any actual impact of light levels on enemy spawns, it is entirely unknown to all of the coders of Terraria. Its theoretically possible that there has been some sort of bug all this time, but in practice, it isn't. For starters, according to Yoraiz0r, server code doesn't even register light levels, its calculated all client-side, so how could enemy spawns rely on light levels when the server-side enemy spawn code has no access to the client-side light code? Of course, a possible retort to this is that "maybe the light spawn code only works in single player", but if the effect was so profound and only worked in single player, why haven't we been inundated by a decade of bug reports for it? I've seen 10x more subtle bug reports for sure.

If I had to guess what you are experiencing, its purely a perception issue. Enemies do not spawn on you, they spawn off screen. And while spelunking, what location is most likely to be lit up? Where you are currently standing, and the path behind you. So the enemies will appear to be coming out of the darkness while exploring, because you haven't been there yet, and so haven't lit that area up. That explanation wouldn't apply to pre-lit areas, but exploration often falls under these circumstances.

There is also the possibility (and this can definitely have an impact) of the enemy spawn cap being reached, with enemies spawning in dark, enclosed caves. When you are walking through the Underground Jungle, you have your main explored area/tunnel, and its all lit up. And then you kill those enemies. But you never see, or kill, the enemies in the undiscovered caves nearby. As you kill enemies in the lit area, more enemy spawns occur; some of these will be in the lit area, but some of them will also be in the undiscovered caves. As you continue this process, over time, the undiscovered caves will become saturated with enemies, while the lit up area will become safer and less populated. And then suddenly you "break into" said undiscovered caves and are swarmed by enemies coming out of the (you guessed it) darkness.

But the connection here isn't darkness = enemies. There is a correlation, not a causation. Tunnels where the player explores are going to have less enemies; tunnels you do not explore will have more. Tunnels the player can't see are less likely to be explored. Therefore, it is a causative action on the part of the kill-seeking player that results in enemy swarms skewing towards dark/unlit areas, while thinning the swarms in the lit areas. When you are running around back and forth clearing out enemies in a large cavern somewhere, you are going to be slapping down torches as you go. But the player is the force causing the impact on enemy quantity, not the torches. If you did the same thing, entirely without light (just using Hunter Potions or something), you would likely observe the same phenomenon in action . . . although the Hunter Potions themselves might break the illusion because you will be constantly seeing the hidden enemies in the side-caves.

The Spider Cave example is perfect for this, because when you park yourself IN the lit up spider cave, you are going to get very few spawns (usually from off screen sections of the Spider Cave. And then as you explore a bit, you'll find the nearby caverns filled to the brim with Spider spawns. Areas that are unexplored/off-screen are less likely to be lit up than areas where you currently are.

So . . . in summary?
Is it possible that there is some accidentally, as-of-yet undetected spawn-impacting-light mechanic that was not added by Red or Yoraiz0r, some accidental bug that has been impacting enemy spawns since the days of old? Sure, its very difficult to disprove the existence of something except by calculated observation. However, there are logistical issues with this possibility (server-side light levels, for instance, would not allow this to happen in MP), and the idea that Terraria had a bug accidentally created the precise mechanic by which its primary "comparison game" is known for, seems a bit of a stretch to me. It is far more likely, in my assessment (as someone who has a Master's in Psychology/Counseling) that it was a placebo-style confirmation bias induced in players who came to Terraria fresh off the heels of Minecraft and applied their well-honed Torch placing skills to this new experience.

It doesn't help that Engine put in a tooltip "confirming" it either. I brought that up for removal the moment I found out about it.

IIRC, luck does have a minor impact on the spawn rates of a few particularly rare spawns (stuff like Goblin Tinkerer and stuff). Torch luck alone is unlikely to have a human-perceptible impact on such spawns, and would almost certainly not have an impact on global enemy spawns to such a degree that it would be noticeable. And the fact that the mechanic didn't exist at all prior to 1.4 would definitely take it out of consideration for Toxophilite's observations. We'd be talking like a 5-10% higher (or lower) chance for a handful of rare spawns to happen/not happen. These same spawns take up something like 1-5% of the typical spawns you are likely to see, and would have no impact at all on swarmy enemies like Hornets or Spiders. We'd be talking something like a 0.1-0.5% fractional increase/decrease in total enemy spawns, a far cry from what is being described here.

I thought the party girl spawned when King Slime was defeated for so long.
Similarly, I thought that the painter would move in if you had a fence in your world, and that the witch doctor would move in if the house is in the jungle, until I tried otherwise. I have the fandom wiki to thank for that.

Ladies and gentlemen, don’t use the fandom wiki. Use the gamepedia one, please.

Similarly, I thought that the painter would move in if you had a fence in your world, and that the witch doctor would move in if the house is in the jungle, until I tried otherwise. I have the fandom wiki to thank for that.

Ladies and gentlemen, don’t use the fandom wiki. Use the gamepedia one, please.
I just looked on the fandom wiki and it labels destroyer as "hard" lol

When I first saw the Guide mention a Demon Altar, I thought it was a literal Altar (like a structure) you had to go to and do rituals or something in order to get certain items.

The Misconception that background walls needed to be used as actual walls and that you couldnt place wood to make walls. I than proceeded to not play terraria for a year or 2, the first of many incidents on mobile where I’m like “This is nice, but its not for me”. I have PC terraria now and am actually goo at the game.

Back
Top Bottom