What misconceptions did you have when you started playing?

When I first began playing Terraria a couple years ago, my friend that introduced me to the game (and had not much more experience than me) told me that glowsticks were super valuable and used to craft strong gear. He was wrong. Very wrong.

Share you stories! What misconceptions about the game did you have when you began?
That we console users would have the old-gen content + the same things as desktop/mobile

not mad or anything, it’s a great game

when I first started out I thought that when u place wood u could break it down with a axe

I was very dumb

I didn't know that you could place the wood itself so I spammed wood walls all over the place.
It took me an hour of watching tutorials to realize that.
I also thought that EOC was the final boss because one of IGN's guides ended there.

When I first found terraria a LONG time ago on xbox 360, I thought that corruption spreading was a group of hackers ruining my world. I was not very smart.
Also, I could be misremembering something because I'm unsure if corruption even could spread on xbox 360. I just remember corruption being everywhere. It could've been my big brother messing with me.

When I first found terraria a LONG time ago on xbox 360, I thought that corruption spreading was a group of hackers ruining my world. I was not very smart.
Also, I could be misremembering something because I'm unsure if corruption even could spread on xbox 360. I just remember corruption being everywhere. It could've been my big brother messing with me.
i have xbox 360 it can spread on it
ye me too your local mage

I used to think that the Expert mode was a more difficult mode that you could reach killing some boss that I didn't know at the time, as it happens when you make your Pre-hardmode world into Hardmode. I was wrong. :D:p

Another thing I did at the start without knowing is that I always played it with Mediumcore players and I didn't know why they lose their items and I was thinking that it was normal of Terraria to lose items when you die (didn't pay attention to that thing in the player creation) and as I'm brazilian I had a lot of difficulties to read and understand English. Lol

My brother, @X-plosiveBunny, used to think, when he was noob, that the Pharaoh's set was having a bug because it was completely white. Then some time after, I said to him that he was using a Silver dye and we two laughed a lot. He didn't know that there where dyes for vanity and all that. It was funny.

My friend once said
"It's a game. Why do you need to organize things?!"
And so, when spawned into his world, "ARe T" (random characters from touch keyboard, back on mobile 1.2.4 where random names aren't there yet), the first sight is the looong "storage hallway" to the right, and the "hay stack" npc housing to the left (and a small "sandstone box" down to the left in a small ravine with 6 more npcs, with a lava+statue grinder in the middle)
And it's on mobile 1.2.4, so even though we both considered "item dupe" (via creating copies of local character) to be "unethical", we both carried it out -- except he carried out a bit too far.
So you will find things like "4 stacks of antlion mandible" and things like "27 stacks of obsidian skin potion" (of which he's a huge fan of), and things like ... 5742 beenades...
So first he employed all the resource to make unique chests. wood chest, boreal chest, shadewood, pumpkin, trashcan, barrel, golden, dungeon..
eventually he ran out, so you will see about 40 chests on his "boss area". Oh, and you can find "14 eye of Cthulhu masks" ... somewhere.
He didn't have binoculars, while I do. However I think I lost the save where I got the binoculars.
Eventually 1.3 rolled along, he got pissed when the existence of ocram is removed (including the trophy, which sound weird), and a bunch of golden bunnies appear in the chest.
Then we graduated high school in the middle of pandemic, Then 1.4 rolled out.
Some time later I spent a few hours sorting through his world to grab everything he owned. It was such a mess, I can grab the content of a unsorted chest and have them "auto sort" to nearby chests for about ten times. Then NOTHING will be sorted to other chests.
But boy, those are some good stuff. Basically everything in 1.2.4. Except some costumes.

Last edited:
That seems more like a story to me than a misconception.
Or are you saying the misconception was the idea that stuff didn't need to be organised?

Two of them, both from Minecraft. 1. That darkness would increase/allow enemy spawns; and 2. That I could sleep through the night. I had not even played Minecraft before Terraria.

Back
Top Bottom