What misconceptions did you have when you started playing?

1.1.2-1.3.x:
  • Glowsticks would be used up and non-reclaimable.
  • Rifle Scopes being the only items affecting ingame camera.
  • Pumpkin Moon Medallions and Naughty Presents only functional during Halloween and Christmas seasons respectively.
  • All Solar Eclipse enemies available from the getgo instead of reaching milestones in Hardmode granting more kinds.
1.4.x:
  • The Dreadnautilus being a fully-fledged boss for the Blood Moon event from Bloody Tears.
  • Oysters being a food item granting some increase to all Player stats.
  • Milkshakes being made from a Carton of Milk and Ice Cream.

Found out two weeks ago that the Cultist boss has a special damage reduction effect against "any" form of homing or auto-aimed projectiles.

And furthermore, that the list of entries populating this effect was not only heavily out of date, having been made in 1.3 and never updated again, but was full of inconsistencies, redundant/incorrect entries, and just was a general mess that hadn't been touched, reviewed, or cleaned up since the day it was made.

Of course, most people don't even notice (myself included), as the reduction effect is not terribly dramatic, and the Cultist boss is usually pretty easy.

-When I first started playing, i noticed that there were a lot of slimes, and the first boss i encountered was king slime. So for the amount of bats in the game, i also thought there was some kind of bat boss, Yeahhh... no.
-When i first ventured up to space, i got instakilled by a harpy, but everything looked so much bigger and scarier back then, and the death message said i was slain by harpy feather, so for a while i was under the impression that there was a boss called harpy feather alongside the other harpy's and who only appeared the first time you went up to space.
-My first boss encounter was when king slime just spawned out of the blue, and i hid in a cave for ages, so when i hit the old man's curse button, i sprinted not knowing what would happen, but thinking back to king slime, i thought bosses couldn't move through blocks, and i went to hide underground.... A nightmare happened afterwards.
-When i created my 2nd world I noticed 2 new things, the crimson and the jungle, and i guessed they were alternate versions of other biomes. Now in my 1st world, i later came across the underground jungle. It was much later on that i must've realised the jungle and the underground jungle were the exact same place. Basically my corruption spawned entirely on top of my surface jungle so I didn't know it was a thing, the only evidence was a tree that looked different.
-When i spawned in, i had a legendary copper shortsword with a load of green text in the description that i didn't understand back then. So, i thought it was the best thing ever, and it was... that is, until i started using other weapons.
-Linked to the above, i thought every player spawned with a legendary copper shortsword... I was disappointed when i realised this wasn't the case.
-My first hardmode ores were cobalt, orichalcum, and adamantite. So i kept seeing recipes involving mythril, and i thought it was this supreme end-game tier ore that probably had something to do with ocram.

I was playing on the Wii U version, the first time I ever got terraria, and I thought after I killed the gollum the cultists would spawn. They didn’t. I asked my friend, he said it was a big and to kill gollum again. I soon realized that I was playing the old gen version and would need to upgrade to pc or switch lol. Keep In mind I was like 12

My first time spawn was very close to The Corruption. I didn't think much of it when I entered it, but when I heard the music my heartrate suddenly went up and each time I had to pass the Corruption biome I was in a rush. And I mean, for some reason I was scared of dying while playing on Softcore, which limited my progression A LOT. I geniunely got frightened each time some cave enemy popped out of nowhere. Though I was around 11 at the time, so probably that's understandable

I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but it isn't in this thread.

When I first started playing this game in late 2013/early 2014, I, like so many others in this situation, ignored the old man at the dungeon, and promptly died to dungeon guardian. Then I did it  again. After failing to get my money back from the murderskull, I decided to leave the dungeon alone for now. Then completely forgot about it for  months.

I got through the game with the constant annoyance of knockback for idon'tevenknowhowlong before finally deciding to investigate the dungeon again. For whatever reason, my stupid monkey brain didn't notice that I was down one old man, and somehow got the idea to remove the dungeon backwalling.

By the way, when I attempted this, I  still had no idea that there was a connection between the old man and the skull gang. So I essentially changed one thing and expected everything to be fine. Even when I got knocked onto dungeon backwalling because no knockback immunity, I didn't even think about why Mr bones and his wild ride didn't show up for a vibe check, and proceeded on my merry way.

Only a long time later did I realize there was a connection between the old man and sans Undertale. I am clearly very smort.

A more recent 500 IQ moment was thinking for the worthy was easier then master mode. Yea no lul

For some weird reason I thought that sunflowers only stopped the spread of the Corruption and Crimson on mobile.

It took me a couple of worlds before I realised that different biomes have different difficulty. I'd assumed that aside from the corruption / crimson, the difficulty probably just depended on how deep you were. So in one playthough I spent *ages* slowly slowly descending through underground desert with no equipment worth speaking of; whereas in the next playthrough I descended in a normal grass biome; and... made a lot of progress very quickly.

When I first began playing Terraria a couple years ago, my friend that introduced me to the game (and had not much more experience than me) told me that glowsticks were super valuable and used to craft strong gear. He was wrong. Very wrong.

Share you stories! What misconceptions about the game did you have when you began?
My friend got me to try it with him and he used a character with a lucky horshoe, so I watch him jump down a pit and not die so I thought there was no fall damage. The look of confusion when I died was hilarious, I was stuttering and wondering how I died and he didn't

Not when I started playing obviously, but I thought shimmer was only obtainable in post-moon lord when 1.4.4 released.

Mine was back in the 1.3 days, and it was the result of RNG trolling me hard. I was just vibing in hardmode, when i noticed a bunch of lightning bugs. Then Skeletron Prime happened. Similar event with the Destroyer. I somehow convinced myself that when Lightning bugs show up a boss would follow. Imagine my utter bewilderment when it didnt.

I remember stumbling into the snow biome and encountering crimson for the first time for both biomes. Which made me associated the Crimson with Snow for weeks and extremely scared of the snow biome (Face Monsters mostly caused it), Even on some corruption worlds. Thankfully I was able to head back to the Crimson on that world, Find out what it is, and defeat Brain of Cthulhu.

Also, remember when HERO made that one video on the OTHER fandom wiki about the "Mastersword"? Like not the normal fandom wiki one, the one that's archived now and severely outdated post 1.2.4. I actually believed that thing existed, one of my biggest embarrassments in my history of playing. Huge thanks to the .gg Wiki though for being reliable

Hardmode ore armor was better than Hallowed.

I broke the games progression when I was younger, beating Golem before WoF and the mech bosses, since I was having trouble with the WoF. The golem dropped a possessed hatchet, which did something insane like 504 damage at the time.

You would think that since I broke progression, that I would be knowledgeable about the game. I wasn't. It was a complete accident and I can not even fathom how I did it.

When I started playing Terraria in 2015 or 2016, I encountered a heart shrine, followed by a trap (most likely a dart trap) and a nymph. I ended up believing that it was an actual feature in the game

Back
Top Bottom