PC What pickaxe should I get next?

graffix

Terrarian
Hi, I'm still very new to Terraria but I love it so much!

So to my question, I have gold armor and a gold pickaxe, but what would be the next logical step to take? I want to upgrade my pickaxe so I can mine faster. There are so many different items, does it ever become overwhelming to know about everything in the game?

Thanks for any help, I have been reading the wiki a lot and its been a lot of fun learning about the many possibilities of things to do.

Gold/Platinum --> Demonite/Crimtane --> Molten
Or if you can get Reaver Shark, you can skip this.

Then in HM;
Cobalt/Palladium --> Mythril/Orichalcum --> Adamantite/Titanium --> Drax/Pickaxe Axe --> Picksaw/Luminite
The first three can be ignored if you fish up a load of crates and get the bars solely from crates instead.

Then in HM;
Cobalt/Palladium --> Mythril/Orichalcum --> Adamantite/Titanium --> Drax/Pickaxe Axe --> Picksaw/Luminite
The first three can be ignored if you fish up a load of crates and get the bars solely from crates instead.

As a supplement, the Adamantite/Titanium could be ignored, as they does not mine anything new blocks compared with Mythril/Orichalcum.

Also Shroomite digging claw (fastest and shortest one, does not mine lizhard brick though), laser drill(longest, and with the highest mining power, but also very slow) and drill mount (a mount, but is one of the fastest way for mining) could be consided as end-game pickaxe.

Right on thank you! I will go for some Crimtane ore then

You may also need to fight Brain of Cthulhu for some tissue sample to get a Deathbringer Pickaxe (made by Crimtane).

Also if your down in the crimson and you break a heart with a hammer, then a meteor will land, then you can get some other good stuff

--Turtles

You pretty should go for Crimtane ore. But if you want to mine faster, don't throw away your "Crimson Pickaxe" away, because Crimtane Pickaxe mines faster than "Fire Pickaxe". But don't skip Molten pickaxe. As you need it in hardmode.

Thanks for all the tips. I did fight the Brain of Cthulhu and got the Pickaxe, I think I will fight him again to get some more Crimson armor, also a meteor did land so I will get to find that also! Will the armor or tools from the meteor be stronger then the Crimson setup?

Meteor armor is for magic types. It offers more defense and a utility in infinite Space Gun usage than the Jungle Armor does. The Meteor Hamaxe is a nice tool if you're still on wood-tier for your hammer and axe, however. Five relatively fast taps to chop a tree down instead of fifteen. Some people recommend making a phaseblade, but I think they've been mostly [.. really? We really have to say this? Alright, fine] phased out in 1.3 due to all the other options you have available. Laser swords are cool, though.

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is the Bone Pickaxe. If you trip over one of those then I believe it's still the fastest pre-hm pickaxe for stuff like stone, but it requires killing Undead Miners so it might not even be worth looking for and it can only mine up to Meteorite. If you trip over one, though, it's worth keeping around.

Will the armor or tools from the meteor be stronger then the Crimson setup?
No pickaxe for meteor, but the meteor hamaxe is a good tool.
Meteor has less defence than Crimson one, but it's better if used with magic weapons, especially space gun.

Two small mistakes:
It offers more defense and a utility in infinite Space Gun usage than the Jungle Armor does.
As of 1.3, its defence (16) is less than Jungle Armor (17).

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is the Bone Pickaxe. If you trip over one of those then I believe it's still the fastest pre-hm pickaxe for stuff like stone
It's fastest pre-harmode pickaxe for dirt type of blocks, but for stones, Reaver Shark is faster.

Hi, I'm still very new to Terraria but I love it so much!

So to my question, I have gold armor and a gold pickaxe, but what would be the next logical step to take? I want to upgrade my pickaxe so I can mine faster. There are so many different items, does it ever become overwhelming to know about everything in the game?

Thanks for any help, I have been reading the wiki a lot and its been a lot of fun learning about the many possibilities of things to do.

The route one usually takes looks something like this:

Starting Gold/Platinum Pickaxe, you could either...

1). Get a Reaver Shark (fish in the ocean, spend a night getting a bunch of fireflies!) -or- get a pickaxe off of the 2nd boss's drops (Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu).
2). If you didn't get a Reaver Shark, you could now go down to the Underworld and get a Molten Pickaxe. Even if you did get a Reaver Shark, the MP might be useful as it lights up nearby blocks while you tunnel (or, you could equip a magma stone to cause the same effect).
3). Once in Hardmode, you would either fish up crates or use the Pwnhammer to break altars to bless your world with ores.
4). You'd start by using your Reaver Shark or Molten Pickaxe to mine Cobalt or Palladium (whichever your world received).
5). Then you need Mythril or Orichalcum Ore to make an Anvil of this material. Once the anvil is made, make the pickaxe.
6). I usually skip Adamantite/Titanium Pickaxes unless I'm fishing (then I make a Titanium Pickaxe and Adamantite Armor)
7). You need 30 Adamantite/Titanium Ore + Hellforge to make a new furnace
8). Kill all 3 mech bosses to get a Drax or Pickaxe Axe (highly recommend the latter; it can hold enemies off while you swing and you can put +Speed on the pickaxe to make it mine faster).
9). The Picksaw is the next natural progression, but sometimes Golem doesn't want to drop it so you might have to skip it.
10). The Shroomite Claw is faster than the Picksaw, but has a lot less Range.
11). I wouldn't bother with the Spectral Pickaxe; Luminite is better.
12). Laser Drill is not all that great, though it does have extreme range.
13). The last pickaxe you'd get is one made of Luminite (I chose Solar myself). This pickaxe can mine Lihzarhd Bricks and has +4 Range (better than Spectral).

The Luminite Pickaxes might have 5% less than the Laser Drill, but they mine much faster. The only reason to use a Laser Drill is for the range, but then that usually is not necessary anyways, +4 and the Gizmo Pack gives you, what, a 13 block range already? lol.

There are also Luminite Hamaxes which are by far the best tool for the Hammer/Axe group too. They, too, have +4 Range and can pretty much annihilate large sections of background wall very quickly.

So that pretty much covers the whole Pickaxe Progression.

As for Hammer/Axe, well....

I usually start with the Molten Hamaxe, and use that all the way up until the Pickaxe Axe, swapping it out for the Pwnhammer. If you actually get The Axe to drop from Plantera (I've never seen one yet), you could use that instead. Otherwise, it's pretty much the Pwnhammer clear up to Luminite.

One could use the Meteorite Hamaxe before the Molten, but I usually just skip Meteorite altogether; I'm normally digging my Hellevator before fighting the 2nd boss anyways (especially if I fished a Reaver Shark).

If you have Tungsten, you would like to skip Gold pickaxe or platinum (or whole pick progression, if you have extreme luck). Then fish a lot of crates and open at HM, so you can just use titanum to make everything. Then kill Mechs, plantera and Golem for Picksaw and Digging Claw. Sometimes, a Alien invasion would come, and you can skip even picksaw. My tree is:
Copper ---> Tungsten/Gold/Plat/Bone ---> Reaver/Demonite/Crimtane* ---> (if no reaver)Molten* ---> Cobalt/none* ---> mythrill/none* ---> Titanum/none* ---> Drax/Pickaxe Axe ---> Picksaw/shroomite digging claw/Laser Drill ---> Luminite Pickaxe/Drill mount.
*If fished equipement.

My order:

- Pre-HM: Copper >> Tungsten/Gold/Platinum >> Nightmare/Deathbringer >> Molten
Or the Reaver Shark, so I can skip most of these weaker picks.

HM:
Cobalt/Palladium >> Mythril/Orichalcum >> Pickaxe Axe/Drax >> Picksaw >> Luminite Pickaxes/Laser Drill.

Honestly, some of them aren't worth making. You can skip the tin/iron/lead tier (or everything if you want to fish in the ocean). Once Hardmode starts, don't bother getting the Adamantite/Titanium tier (until you're fishing or something, but I think it's better to leave them for armor and weapons). The Chlorophyte/Spectre Pickaxes aren't worth getting (even if the second one has a +3 range). The Digging Claw is very fast, so it might be a good idea to craft it if you're going to build or make arenas. The Laser Drill is rather slow but it has a great range of +10, making it pretty good for safe mining.

you can also get a bone pickaxe as a rare drop from undead miners, it's the fastest pickaxe in prehardmode but it has a slightly lower mining level than nightmare/deathbringer.

My order:

- Pre-HM: Copper >> Tungsten/Gold/Platinum >> Nightmare/Deathbringer >> Molten
Or the Reaver Shark, so I can skip most of these weaker picks.

HM:
Cobalt/Palladium >> Mythril/Orichalcum >> Pickaxe Axe/Drax >> Picksaw >> Luminite Pickaxes/Laser Drill.

Honestly, some of them aren't worth making. You can skip the tin/iron/lead tier (or everything if you want to fish in the ocean). Once Hardmode starts, don't bother getting the Adamantite/Titanium tier (until you're fishing or something, but I think it's better to leave them for armor and weapons). The Chlorophyte/Spectre Pickaxes aren't worth getting (even if the second one has a +3 range). The Digging Claw is very fast, so it might be a good idea to craft it if you're going to build or make arenas. The Laser Drill is rather slow but it has a great range of +10, making it pretty good for safe mining.
Am I the only one who prefers the digging claw over the picksaw?

Am I the only one who prefers the digging claw over the picksaw?

I usually skip the Digging Claw, as I don't use shroomite gear until I play a ranged-only run. The claw is a bit faster, but its range is pretty bad. However, it's a pretty good melee weapon.

Back
Top Bottom