What type of gamer are you?

I'm a mix between completionist, casual, and rage-y for certain games that I find "unfair."

I like open-ended games such as GTA or Assassin's Creed, platformers with at least some challenge to them (VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, etc.), rogue-like games (Bindng of Isaac, Risk of Rain, Nuclear Throne, etc.), and I rarely like FPS games, the only one I like, at the moment, is TF2. I also like sandbox games, such as Terraria and Minecraft (I got tired of Minecraft's after realizing it's only fun for more than two hours if you have a good imagination)

I refuse to play games that have no point and/or plot to them, unless its something where you can make it up as you go (Minecraft, Terraria, for obvious examples)
I wont play a sports game for the same reason I dont care about real life sports, I find the idea of throwing, kicking, etc a ball backwards and forwards incredibly dull.
Likewise, most driving games are out of the question. Kart racers are good though, due to the chaos and multiplayer situations
Fighting games largely disinterest me, especially the classic type with two dudes inputting complex button combos. Dissidia's sequel and a few of the DBZ games are the only ones I can stand, but then again, they have large scale fights where you move around and do all kinds of tactics, along with proper storylines.
FPS games I can only play if they are unrealistic and sci-fi/fantasy (Halo, Wolfenstein, Borderlands etc), or have enough paranormal stuff to counteract the realistic crap (FEAR)
Open world games I can play for years on end.
RTS games I will play if the AI isnt too ridiculous. To me, C&C3 and its expansion are the pinnacle of RTS, great campaigns, great skirmish
Platformers I rarely play, I generally dont like games where the objective is an ever increasing number of points.

RPGs are my lifeblood, long hours spent experiencing a great storyline, a long journey across a world, lots of collecting and levelling.

I like games were you either work your way up with skill and research, or games were you can be numero uno by being the best, not the longest-lived. I hate games like GOW: Fire Age because it is all clicking, tapping and waiting. An ape could be ranked number one if it started first.

i am mostly an explorer, so you can imagine how i like minecraft.
i like feeling like the master of my world. (minecraft and endgame terraria)
i like addicting combat. (kingdom hearts)
i like stories you can really get into if you have the patience (kingdom hearts)
i like wandering endlessly, not knowing what amazing thing ill come across next (minecraft)
i like progression in a sandbox game (terraria)
i like atmospheric soundtracks (terraria and to an extent, kingdom hearts)
i like thing that you can work on when you want to take a break from the main objective. (kingdom hearts and to an extent, terraria)
i like peace and serenity. (minecraft)

I am a builder in games you can build and in games you cant i troll or kill people in strange ways. So yes if you were playing WarHawk i was probably the guy on your team who mined your jeep or the guy that had a mine taped to the sterring wheel of his jeep :p

Competitive who loves to play casually and has occasional rage tantrum when something isn't going my way. I'm like a child when it comes to game. Plus, my favourite types of games are the competitive ones.

I am many.
Sandbox: I'm mainly a builder and a fighter. I build stuff to fight. As in the case of Space Engineers, Terraria (Arenas and traps) and Minecraft (Huge Structures.)
FPS: Depends.
-Halo: Chilled back, generally keeps distance.
-CoD: Rage-quits everywhere cause I hate the imbalance of snipers.
-Battlefield: Chilled back, support. Team player.
RTS: I'm mainly defensive. Normally using the structures of the game to both attack and defend if possible.
I also tend to hoard, never really deleting items other than inventory clutter. I hate dropping items.
I can also sometimes be extremely troll-y.
But, most of the time, i'm a chilled-back gamer who enjoys co-op, team playing, hoarding and creating.

The kind that plays on occasion and tries to play regularly depending on what's out at the time.

People consider me a "hardcore gamer" because it seems like I'm always playing something or trying to find games to play, but really I'm trying to fill up all this free time I have since I lack a social life :p

I'm THAT girl .....haha

It always seems to depend on the game and how much I'm actually into it.

When it comes to attitude I usually always have a joyful approach to a game, even if I'm losing. There are small bouts of frustration here and there, and if I'm playing a game by myself I may take a moment to reset and refresh before continuing (sometimes you just need that moment away in order to spot what you're missing). I don't really ever rage at a game though, and I often make 20+ attempts before taking a break if I'm having a problem with some puzzle or boss battle. I think the only exception would be Dota. I don't mind losing a close match, cause they're still fun. But I do get a bit annoyed when it comes to those games where you team doesn't speak English and everyone wants to fight 1v5 and just feeds the game away.

As for game genres, I'm all across the board. RPGs, RTSs, FPSs, Action, Adventure, Fighting, etc... You name it, I'll probably give it a try. I enjoy all sorts of games and game styles. Although I don't really have a set favorite, I do often leave FPSs behind just because I don't have as much access to good ones.

I will say I often hoard in games though, especially RPGs. I pick up every item I can and save them forever. If I get an item that seems useful but I don't know how long it'll be before I get another one like that, I'll hold onto it indefinitely. In fact, I often hold onto them so long I forget I even have them and end up never using them at all (like Hourglasses in Tales games). I also often stock up useless items thinking I'll do something with them later, then later realize they were only good back when I got them and suck now so I sell them off. I have gotten better at selling off old weapons and armor, but that's more for generic style RPGs. When it comes to games like Terraria I still keep everything. Of course with Terraria I'm also making a museum containing every item in the game. :merchantgrin:

I also don't really ever try to take the time and 100% games unless I'm really into it and I can see it happening in a reasonable amount of time. Games like Skullgirls that only have a few achievements (even though some are hard) are ones I might try to fully complete. There are others that may have more achievements or more titles or whatever, but I may still try to complete them all because they don't take forever. I often avoid 100% completing games that have a ridiculous amount of achievements or things such as "Do X while only using Y in Z amount of minutes only on Saturday nights from 6-7pm on even numbered days in March, June, or October" (Yeah, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point), or achievements based solely on luck.

I do have one pet peeve though. I often get annoying when people throw around the term 'Gamer' when their gaming style is so limited. I feel as though the broad term should be used for people who play a broad style, and more specific terms should be used for people who only play certain styles of games. When someone tells me they're a Gamer I expect their gaming knowledge to be quite vast instead of someone who basically only plays Halo and never branches out. I remember in college when people on my hall would introduce themselves as Gamers, to which I constantly started conversations none of them understood cause all they played was Mass Effect and Call of Duty. There is so much out there and only playing certain titles of a certain style just doesn't seem like it's enough to don the title. Just playing games =/= being a Gamer.

RPG-Hunter - EXP? Boss battles? Chewing weak mobs with uber weapons? Sign me up..... except when it's too damned though.
Cheater - especially if there's a fun glitch to exploit.
Mindless, Senseless Blood-letter - only because it's fun to kill random people, even if I can't do it in real life unless I make some heavy preparations.
Feeder - Got a team battle? Need someone to buff up the enemy in a MOBA? I'm your player. I so enjoy the moment when I turned from adequate to absolute noob because I didn't get a proper start. :dryadtongue:
FPS Hater - Not really, per se, but I hate how I always end being owned because I suck at FPS. Single-player and easy enemy AIs? Never happier when toting guns. Kinda contradictory with above, right?
Puzzler - Nothing too hard, mind, I'm not that good as I always end up more puzzled.
Anime, Bought Paid and Sold - I'm a sucker for games with anime art-style.
Story Maniac - Got a story to be told through games? It's bad? It's good? It's adequate? Doesn't matter! I'll hear them out! Even if it's about some kittens pawing off someone's face.
Pokémon Conquest fits with a lot of these, especially the Anime part. I recommend it for you.

To be honest it depends on what mood I'm in and who I'm with. If I'm with a few friends that I'm not super close to then I'm generally more conservative and casual and would just let them win (if I'm good at the game). If I'm with people close then I tend to power through the game and I'm loud and annoying but so are they. It just depends on how fun the people around me are.

Playing alone I'm usually conservative and don't usually rage. I mean, I've gotten through a good portion of Battle Kid already.

I am many.
Sandbox: I'm mainly a builder and a fighter. I build stuff to fight. As in the case of Space Engineers, Terraria (Arenas and traps) and Minecraft (Huge Structures.)
FPS: Depends.
-Halo: Chilled back, generally keeps distance.
-CoD: Rage-quits everywhere cause I hate the imbalance of snipers.
-Battlefield: Chilled back, support. Team player.
RTS: I'm mainly defensive. Normally using the structures of the game to both attack and defend if possible.
I also tend to hoard, never really deleting items other than inventory clutter. I hate dropping items.
I can also sometimes be extremely troll-y.
But, most of the time, i'm a chilled-back gamer who enjoys co-op, team playing, hoarding and creating.
I never really put two and two together and realized you liked Halo. But good job, I have the same attitude about shooters as you.
If I'm with people close then I tend to power through the game and I'm loud and annoying but so are they. It just depends on how fun the people around me are.
*cough*playing Starbound together *cough*

In general I play single player games, I enjoy 100% completing my games on the highest difficulty. As a result I love making my character as powerful as possible to face bosses that make you struggle even when you're as strong as can be. I'll learn every possible skill and spell that I can to make my character the definition of badass, then feel incredibly weak before the boss that has 1,000,000hp and will one hit KO you. To start with I'll play on Normal Mode, then work up to higher difficulties using New Game+ if it's available.

With items I'm a hoarder they are only to be used if there are no save/heal points and I'm desperate to survive. I rarely ever sell anything and instead will keep grinding until I have enough money to buy the new Super Sword or Mega Armor. As a result, Healing Potions, Mana Potions, and other rare items will hit their cap of x99 or x999. If there is only one or two items of their kind with no chance of ever getting another one, rest assured said item will never be used.

In general I play single player games, I enjoy 100% completing my games on the highest difficulty. As a result I love making my character as powerful as possible to face bosses that make you struggle even when you're as strong as can be. I'll learn every possible skill and spell that I can to make my character the definition of badass, then feel incredibly weak before the boss that has 1,000,000hp and will one hit KO you. To start with I'll play on Normal Mode, then work up to higher difficulties using New Game+ if it's available.

With items I'm a hoarder they are only to be used if there are no save/heal points and I'm desperate to survive. I rarely ever sell anything and instead will keep grinding until I have enough money to buy the new Super Sword or Mega Armor. As a result, Healing Potions, Mana Potions, and other rare items will hit their cap of x99 or x999. If there is only one or two items of their kind with no chance of ever getting another one, rest assured said item will never be used.
That reminds me... In WoW, I'm pretty sure my level 90 character has some Lesser Healing Potions running around somewhere.

I'm just a casual player who likes lazing around and exploring for the fun of it.
I'm extremely noncompetitive and I prefer co-op over PvP. :p

I'm not really know the type, but I like playing a game that need a fast response skill, for example like osu! for rhythm game, Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 Arena for FPS, although I'm not that good at it and more depend on my speed and my luck.
Besides that I like playing a game that not have a linear gameplay and have a high replay value, especially a game that have a bunch of item/equipment to loot, for example like Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Fate, Elona+ etc.
Oh and also I more into singleplayer than multiplayer, besides because of my slow internet connection as a reason, I'm not really good at team work if it's a team based game.

I'm a "lay in bed and play games all day" gamer.
I'm a "must collect and keep all the stuff no matter how useless" gamer.
I'm a "compelled to restart game from beginning multiple times" gamer.
I mostly play single player even if I'm in an MMO I just kinda ignore everyone and do my own thing.
Playstyle in most combat type games is usually more strategic than brute force. I like to rely on AI minions, traps, debuffs and/or DoTs while I sit back and watch the carnage... at the same time however, I don't really invest much into defense so I still have to avoid stray attacks flying at me.
I like to mindlessly grind even though usually makes games less strategic for example I recently grinded a whole team to lv 80ish in the tutorial maps of Disgaea d2 for no reason.
I always pick the girl character... unless the different genders have unique skills/playstyles.
In FPS games I typically go with Melee or Sniper style weapons and camp a lot.
In strategy games I like to break apart my group and surround the enemy.
I like to study the AI and then abuse weaknesses in the AI to win.
I typically start games on the highest difficulty setting, then later try lower levels to see if there was even a difference.
For the most part I prefer 2D games to 3D.

Back
Top Bottom