What was Old is Made New Again: Revisting the Terraria Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current fav Building Material is Smooth Granite painted in Deep Blue... when Blue Dungeon Brick & Brick Wall isn't available. (Blue Dungeon Brick & Brick Wall doesn't even NEED Paint... though it's an unfinished To-Do List item to Paint them Deep Blue someday just to see how they'd look Painted...) I wonder if 1.4 will bring new Building Materials that'll attempt to Contest the 'old guard' of the Building Materials...?

With Moon Lord's laser now being able to pass through blocks, was it changed so that it's also plausible to dodge? Because blocking it or using very specific items have been the only ways to actually avoid it. With that gone, the laser is guaranteed damage.

With Moon Lord's laser now being able to pass through blocks, was it changed so that it's also plausible to dodge? Because blocking it or using very specific items have been the only ways to actually avoid it. With that gone, the laser is guaranteed damage.
I never even thought about trying to block the laser with blocks, I only found out it was possible some time ago, watching youtube videos. Usually I would charge straight toward the source of the laser and jump above it, so it couldn't keep up with me. In situations where that was impossible, I would use the Rod of Discord or the dash ability from certain items to move faster than the laser can turn. It's tricky, but not impossible, you get the hang of it after a while.

I never even thought about trying to block the laser with blocks, I only found out it was possible some time ago, watching youtube videos. Usually I would charge straight toward the source of the laser and jump above it, so it couldn't keep up with me. In situations where that was impossible, I would use the Rod of Discord or the dash ability from certain items to move faster than the laser can turn. It's tricky, but not impossible, you get the hang of it after a while.

Here is the issue with the laser. Moon Lord is always heat seeking you, and that includes the eye right above you. The eye's sweep covers almost the entire screen. There is no real way to escape its vicinity without using very specific items. If the laser's sweeping range was greatly reduced, or it just shot straight downwards, it would be much more reasonable to avoid.

"Usually I would charge straight toward the source of the laser and jump above it" How is this possible to do if Moon Lord is always heat seeking you?

As it stands, Moon Lord is my least favorite boss in the game due to how cheap the entire fight feels. It constantly spams attacks all over the place without a real pattern to learn, so you just have to move and hope for the best. An adjustment to the laser attack alone would improve the fight dramatically. I am all for challenging fights, but Moon Lord feels hard for all the wrong reasons.

Here is the issue with the laser. Moon Lord is always heat seeking you, and that includes the eye right above you. The eye's sweep covers almost the entire screen. There is no real way to escape its vicinity without using very specific items. If the laser's sweeping range was greatly reduced, or it just shot straight downwards, it would be much more reasonable to avoid.

As it stands, Moon Lord is my least favorite boss in the game due to how cheap the entire fight feels. It constantly spams attacks all over the place without a real pattern to learn, so you just have to move and hope for the best. An adjustment to the laser attack alone would improve the fight dramatically. I am all for challenging fights, but Moon Lord feels hard for all the wrong reasons.
Yes, that's why I move in closer to him when he fires it. 15° is a lot of space to cover if you're far away from the center of the circle, but if you're right next to it, you can cover it with just a couple of steps. It's challenging, to be sure, but that's to be expected from the final boss. Again, you quickly get the hang of it, like everything else, it's about experience.

Yes, that's why I move in closer to him when he fires it. 15° is a lot of space to cover if you're far away from the center of the circle, but if you're right next to it, you can cover it with just a couple of steps. It's challenging, to be sure, but that's to be expected from the final boss. Again, you quickly get the hang of it, like everything else, it's about experience.

And how can you move closer to the eye when the boss is always heatseeking you? I have been unable to dodge the attack because I have found no way to outspeed this boss's movement. It feels like you need a very specific setup in order to avoid the laser. I shouldn't be expected to have an extremely rare drop like Rod of Discord for this fight, which I have not seen drop a single time across my various playthroughs of this game.

And how can you move closer to the eye when the boss is always heatseeking you? I have been unable to dodge the attack a single time because I have found no way to outspeed this boss's movement. It feels like you need a very specific setup in order to avoid the laser. I shouldn't be expected to have an extremely rare drop like Rod of Discord for this fight, which I have not seen drop a single time across my various playthroughs of this game.
I usually pop a Swiftness Potion or use a flying mount, depending on my loadout. The flying saucer from the Cosmic Car Keys, for example, work wonders in this fight.

I usually pop a Swiftness Potion or use a flying mount, depending on my loadout. The flying saucer from the Cosmic Car Keys, for example, work wonders in this fight.

I used the Cosmic Car Keys for this fight, but I found it a major hindrance during the first phase due to its slow movement. But it works very well for the fight's second phase, after the heart is exposed.

I used the Cosmic Car Keys for this fight, but I found it a major hindrance during the first phase due to its slow movement. But it works very well for the fight's second phase.
Try using an arena for the first phase, then popping the keys for the second phase. If things are still not going your way, try reforging some accessories for movement speed. We can talk of strategies all day, but at the end of it, it's up to you to experiment and find the strategy that works best for you ;).
At any rate, this is not the right thread to be discussing strategies, so we better can it for now before the moderators turn their death lazers toward us :D.

Yeah, I myself completely get that, mostly since I'm not really that great at the Moon Lord boss fight, at least without an arena set up with teleporters and the like.

Try using an arena for the first phase, then popping the keys for the second phase. If things are still not going your way, try reforging some accessories for movement speed. We can talk of strategies all day, but at the end of it, it's up to you to experiment and find the strategy that works best for you ;).
At any rate, this is not the right thread to be discussing strategies, so we better can it for now before the moderators turn their death lazers toward us :D.

This isn't a boss that you can experiment on, since if you lose, you have to restart the entire event over again. The Sigil for directly summoning the Moon Lord is fairly expensive to make. Also, this boss just kind of jumpscares you out of nowhere. Expecting you to know all of the "tricks" to beating it beforehand is unreasonable.

Most bosses in this game don't need specific strategies to beat (at least in Normal Mode). The Moon Lord is an outlier to this, and the one it absolutely should not be due to the requirements to summoning him.

Just did the calculations, and if Titanium's armor stats remain the same with the new set bonus, then I'd say that while it still probably wins in magic and ranged, I actually think even with (actually, especially with) the current set bonus, Adamantite wins with melee, getting much more potent bonuses, and those shards constantly knocking enemies away would just be annoying for a melee player.
honestly still probably better to just get frostburn since you're using a gun as well anyways at that point, but alas

Just did the calculations, and if Titanium's armor stats remain the same with the new set bonus, then I'd say that while it still probably wins in magic and ranged, I actually think even with (actually, especially with) the current set bonus, Adamantite wins with melee, getting much more potent bonuses, and those shards constantly knocking enemies away would just be annoying for a melee player.
honestly still probably better to just get frostburn since you're using a gun as well anyways at that point, but alas
To be fair, I could imagine comboing New Adamantite Armor, Defensive Reforges, Aggro Pulling stuff, Titan Gloves, high knockback defensive Melee Weapon (Maybe Paladin's Hammer?) all together for a MP Tank Character...

Also, I woulda swore that for End Game, it was expected to be required to have Top Tier Wings and a Flying Mount? Then again I have yet to ever get to end game myself even on Normal Mode and not even yet cleared WoF in Expert Mode... (I like building too much & it makes me a slow dawdler... :p)

Also, I woulda swore that for End Game, it was expected to be required to have Top Tier Wings and a Flying Mount? Then again I have yet to ever get to end game myself even on Normal Mode and not even yet cleared WoF in Expert Mode... (I like building too much & it makes me a slow dawdler... :p)

It isn't completely a strict requirement that you have to have high tier wings and an infinite flight mount for the Lunar Pillars and Moon Lord. But it does make movement far easier overall. I generally always have to have wings once I craft them at the beginning of Hardmode. I'm sure there are also people who can go through the game without wings or a flight mount.

It isn't completely a strict requirement that you have to have high tier wings and an infinite flight mount for the Lunar Pillars and Moon Lord. But it does make movement far easier overall. I generally always have to have wings once I craft them at the beginning of Hardmode. I'm sure there are also people who can go through the game without wings or a flight mount.
Bless their souls, Cthullu knows I have no patience to play the game without wings.

I really hope shortswords become an actual thing this update both in power and in progression. This change is cool but I think they could use at least a range buff if not damage as well. Or maybe some dedicated accessories for a shortsword subclass similar to yoyos. Point is, give me some endgame shortswords and I will absolutely run at the moon lord with them haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom