What was Old is Made New Again: Revisting the Terraria Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
The respriting is downright gorgeous, and they basically read my mind on how I would've buffed shortswords. This is going to be a godlike update no matter how you slice it. Really the only stuff left that I'm looking forward to is:
  • Seeing how they improved on the Archer class (there's only so many ways to fire arrows + only so many ammo types, especially when compared to classes like Mages that have massive variety in weapon abilities)
  • If they've gotten more creative with Magic Missile-type spells to get them up to snuff, like ones that grow stronger/faster the longer they exist before hitting something, ones that fire off their own projectiles, summon weaker bonus projectiles that satellite the player or main projectile, and/or ones that mirror + symmetrically move with the main projectile with the player as the axis. (This one's just me rambling)

Last edited:
Um, Phantasmal Laser going through blocks? Really? The honey box method is the only way I can defeat Moon Lord, and even then I have to have 2 people to accomplish it. Not Cool. o_O:(

I do it with constant run, opposite of what some people suggest. I either fly with a second target on tracks (mechanical cart), or run a track with teleporters (one constant direction of movement). Obviously the track is loaded with heart/star statues, fires and lanterns, honey, traps, and I buff to the nth degree, but running in a smooth line can get it done. It is easy with a top layer (broken up for projectile attacking), but, even flying/running above it, it's not impossible to lead the gaze and drop when it stops, so, this change will up the challenge and keep me on my toes. Practice and timing. I love that they're forcing players to have to think more like an evolving AI. Even grinds with rewards can get disinteresting if you know exactly what's going to happen every time.

You're doing the impossible, you're making my favourite game ever even better.
Everything I see here is great, specially the changes to the Magic Missile and the resprites for Queen Bee, the webbed stuff, the Harpies and the Goblins.
After making a Steam Account just to buy this game several years ago, I wouldn't have imagined Terraria would change so much and become so much better than it already was.

index.php

View attachment 268858
HALLOWED ARMOR
New Set Bonus: Holy Protection

Familiar to most users as Shadow Dodge, Hallowed has had its previously stat-based set bonus replaced with a periodic immunity to damage.
Upon attacking an enemy, you will gain a buff. If an enemy hits you during this buff, you will gain a very brief immunity to damage.
After this period of immunity, at least 30 seconds must pass before you can re-activate the immunity buff.

index.php
THEY FREAKIN DID IT

Can't wait for this! Although new content is always exciting, new gameplay and re-balancing is going to be so fresh. I knew stuff like this was going on, but it's really cool to see how that's taking effect! I'm already hyped enough, do you have to tease us more? :p

I can't believe they finally upended King Slime and Golem being the easiest bosses, and those sprites look so much more fleshed out! It actually makes the originals seem gray and lifeless in comparison.

Well...
  1. The Moon Lord death ray is now demi impossible to avoid, so farming for Rod of Discord may be mandatory for end game.
  2. Shortsword change is welcome. Will be nice if we see new Shortsword type weapons to welcome this change.
  3. Flails change is very well welcome too, the only moment I found them useful was when getting it before fighting the Eater of Worlds.
  4. The Christmas Tree Sword, I wonder if the dps will be as great as before the revamp of effect, because launching baubles was very useful, even more since melee on end game is a ranger with a shotting melee weapon.
  5. Medusa Head is still disappointing, because you know what It should cause.
  6. Wand of Sparkling still seems lame, but at least the damage and debuff rate got better, so It is actually alright for very early game.
  7. I'm not very happy with the fact you guys placed the Titanium Armor set on the Hallowed set. The Hallowed set certainly needs It's special effect, and so does the Cobalt, Mythril and Adamantite sets.
  8. It will be nice if the Stardust set had a way of setting the summon on either Standby, or defensive stance.
  9. The new graphics are great.
I'm looking forward the update. But seriously, the Cobalt, Mythril and Adamantite set needs some love too.

I really hope boomerangs got a buff, since they kind of disappear after the Destroyer. I love the new mummy and goblin designs! These two weeks can't go by fast enough

Those sprites...
Hmmm...
Reminds me of a certain popular mod...
Hmmm....
Also those moonlord and king slime changes don't affect me I fight things legit, no cheesing them...

That solar armour buff:
Thank you for upgrading my favourite endgame set!
Now I will have even more power!!!
Mwhahahahaahahahahahahahaha!!!

Well...
  1. The Moon Lord death ray is now demi impossible to avoid, so farming for Rod of Discord may be mandatory for end game.
  2. Shortsword change is welcome. Will be nice if we see new Shortsword type weapons to welcome this change.
  3. Flails change is very well welcome too, the only moment I found them useful was when getting it before fighting the Eater of Worlds.
  4. The Christmas Tree Sword, I wonder if the dps will be as great as before the revamp of effect, because launching baubles was very useful, even more since melee on end game is a ranger with a shotting melee weapon.
  5. Medusa Head is still disappointing, because you know what It should cause.
  6. Wand of Sparkling still seems lame, but at least the damage and debuff rate got better, so It is actually alright for very early game.
  7. I'm not very happy with the fact you guys placed the Titanium Armor set on the Hallowed set. The Hallowed set certainly needs It's special effect, and so does the Cobalt, Mythril and Adamantite sets.
  8. It will be nice if the Stardust set had a way of setting the summon on either Standby, or defensive stance.
  9. The new graphics are great.
I'm looking forward the update. But seriously, the Cobalt, Mythril and Adamantite set needs some love too.
Eh, Titanium was always too overpowered, and Hallowed needed a buff, plus the Hallowed set sounds more "magical" than the ore sets, so I think it fits. I agree about the classic hardmode sets, though, they need either a stat buff or special effects of their own

View attachment 268825

WHAT WAS OLD IS MADE NEW AGAIN - REVISITING THE TERRARIA EXPERIENCE

Happy Monday, Terrarians and welcome to a fresh week on the road to Journey's End!

To kick off the week in style, we wanted to share one of the more impactful - but often unappreciated - aspects of Journey's End. On top of all of the shiny new content and features, the team has spent countless hours giving the entire game a thorough review across the spectrum of Balance and Aesthetics. The truth is that over time, as updates have released, some content felt "left behind", imbalanced, or it didn't feel quite "right" any more. So, we took on the arduous task of giving those things a makeover. Today's Journey's End feature article touches the surface of these efforts - read on to learn more!

index.php

FULL REBALANCE PASS ON ENEMIES AND ITEMS

As a part of Journey's End, the team examined and re-examined the balance of the content in the game. From start to finish, no stone was left unturned and no gear left unaccounted for. In the end, what remains is a full rebalancing of the game from top to bottom. Stats have changed, functionality has changed. There is no better time to start a fresh playthrough and experience the new Terraria for the first time! Want some more examples? Sure you do!

ENEMY & BOSS REBALANCE

View attachment 268978
Our friend the Golem has some new surprises in store for you

View attachment 268979
King Slime has learned how to climb ropes

View attachment 268857
The Moon Lord laughs at your pathetic attempts to defeat him by hiding inside boxes

index.php

WEAPON & ARMOR CHANGES

Weapons/Armor and other gear were also closely examined. Beyond stats, some situations in the game required more than just stat changes to make things feel right again. So, you will see some weapons and weapon classes that have all new functionality. Let's have a look, shall we?

View attachment 268975
SHORTSWORDS
No longer content to exist solely on the X-Axis, your favorite stabby weapons are now able to poke at foes in all directions!

index.php

View attachment 269419
FLAILS
Flails felt left behind by the introduction of Yoyos, so they have all new functionality to restore their status as useful weapons

index.php

View attachment 269021

CHARGED BLASTER CANNON
Yesterday's throwaway weapon from the Martian Madness Event (What? Don't look at us like that, don't act like you ever used the thing!) is today's death-dealing space laser of doooooom!

index.php

View attachment 268976
CHRISTMAS TREE SWORD
Our festive friend here always felt very underwhelming when lined up next to its fellow Frost Moon drops... so now it can channel its inner Everscream.

index.php

View attachment 269016
MEDUSA HEAD
Medusa's Head felt underwhelming for when you were able to obtain this in the core progression. So, this has been reworked to have a quite unique attack style.

index.php

View attachment 269017
WAND OF SPARKING
The Wand of Sparking has been a bone of contention for some time in regards to feeling underpowered - no longer!
Damage increased from 8 to 14
Speed increased from 28 to 26
Now has a 10% critical chance
Chance to inflict On Fire! increased from 33% to 50%

index.php

View attachment 268980
MAGIC MISSILE
Magic Missile has been overhauled to be more lethal and fun to use than ever before!
Projectile is faster and has homing if you release it
Has a moderate AoE damage explosion on impact

index.php

View attachment 268858
HALLOWED ARMOR
New Set Bonus: Holy Protection

Familiar to most users as Shadow Dodge, Hallowed has had its previously stat-based set bonus replaced with a periodic immunity to damage.
Upon attacking an enemy, you will gain a buff. If an enemy hits you during this buff, you will gain a very brief immunity to damage.
After this period of immunity, at least 30 seconds must pass before you can re-activate the immunity buff.

index.php

View attachment 268859
TITANIUM ARMOR
New Set Bonus: Titanium Barrier

As you attack enemies, titanium shards accumulate and spin around you
These shards deal damage to enemies at close range, and inflict knockback.
Use them defensively to keep enemies away, or for the bold, aggressively to inflict extra damage.

index.php

View attachment 269420
STARDUST ARMOR
Stardust Guardian now has a more much vigorous and aggressive attack, and he will attack automatically without prompting. All resemblance to a certain anime is purely coincidental.

index.php

View attachment 268981
SOLAR ARMOR
Solar Armor is no longer content to sit at the back of the line, so it's set bonus now grants more defense than ever before... along with a passive regen effect.
Solar Helmet critical chance bonus increased from 17% to 26%
Solar Breastplate melee damage bonus increased from 22% to 29%
Each piece of the set now gives 1 HP/s regen
Instead of 30% damage reduction whenever you have charges, part of Solar Armor's damage reduction is now active at all times, with the amount increasing when you have shield charges. This gives Solar Armor a more persistent durability.
Recharge time between shield charges reduced by 1 second

index.php

GRAPHICS OVERHAUL

As with our balance and mechanics review, the team has put a fresh coat of paint on a number of things in Terraria. Biomes, Furniture Sets, even some Enemies have been given the makeover treatment! Heck, we even spruced up the logo...

Check out some of the eye candy magic that our artists have been creating in the series of before and after gifs below!

Please note that this work is still ongoing, so anything you see here is still subject to change!!!

View attachment 269442
Crowno

index.php

View attachment 269444
Lazure
index.php

View attachment 269413

View attachment 269044
Jimmarn

index.php

We hope that today's Feature really shows how Journey's End is not only about new things, but also about old things made new again. Across the entire progression of the game, there are new surprises in store for players - once again, we really encourage a fresh playthrough in order to experience it all!

We have more Features in store for you as we draw ever-closer to launch day - so be sure to keep your eyes peeled for more!
Wait a minute...if you look at some of the gifs, you can see the player sprite blinking or slowly closing their eyes. Is that new, because I think it might be!

Это говно полное, зачем мы ухудшили лого и камни... релоджики зачем....... :dryadcry:
Зачем этот ребаланс брони, оставили бы все как есть.......

I love all the new resprites... except for goblins. Maybe they will feel better when I see them ingame, and maybe its just the immense nostalgia I have considering I started playing back when the game first released, but to me they look super overdeveloped for their placement in the game. I've always felt like the early prehardmode enemies look simple in design, with enemy complexity increasing over the course of the game until you're at stuff like the lunar events and enemies look (and act!) crazy. Goblins now look more at home as later-game enemies and to me it just doesn't sit quite right. I'll probably warm up to it but I might just make a pack that changes them back honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom