What was Old is Made New Again: Revisting the Terraria Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these updates just make me so hyped up for the update!

Thank you for all you guys do...!!! Terraria has been my favorite game for over a decade!

Now that the copper shortsword can be swung in much more directions its gonna be WILD when people start taking that "kill the ML with a copper shortsword" challenge seriously LMAO

The Moon Lord laughs at your pathetic attempts to defeat him by hiding inside boxes

I guess that's one "problem" with the Moon Lord fight fixed.

However, I personally feel like - now that the developers are going hard out of their way to fix the common "cheese strats" - is that there is a much bigger problem with the Moon Lord fight, that being the fact that especially on your first time trying to beat him, for every 15 minutes you spend on attempts, you have to spend just as much if not more time grinding pillars for more Celestial Sigils, which is extremely boring and outright kills the pace of the game. On top of that every Celestial Sigil still has that 60s delay to it, which might not seem like much at first but it really does add up if the boss in question is difficult enough to take you dozens and maybe even hundreds of attempts. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes players quit: not just a difficulty spike, but one that forces waiting and hollow grinding upon the player as a punishment for dying, effectively discouraging them from playing the fight at all and making them feel unengaged.

I won't comment on the Rod of Discord grind, since I trust the developers to be sensible enough to either make the deathray reasonable to dodge without it or the other kind of "speed cheese arenas" (minecart, fishron+water bubbles, asphalt, teleporters), or, if it is basically made mandatory, shorten the grind on it. Personally, it's a cool item so I would like to see it become more accessible especially at this late of a stage in the game; maybe even make the Nebula Pillar drop it or something like that.

On the topic of pillars, I sincerely hope that event is reworked too. Having to stand on the very edge of the pillar area and spawning monsters one by one (otherwise you get completely destroyed) isn't very fun. Maybe have a requirement for the player to actually stay in the middle of the pillar area all the way through, but nerf the monsters and/or spawn rates slightly so it's reasonable.

Basically everything else is perfect.

WHAT?! That's INSANE! I always wanted wanted more detailed enemies and weapons and i love that everything will be balanced. It's so cool!!!!!!!

Those new re-done sprites look so sick, and these balancing changes seem game changing. This update feels like it's going to be such a fresh new experience once it comes out!

While I had mixed opinions on the previous news article about town updates and pylons, this one made up for it in spades.
Shortswords finally have real versatility as broadswords do since a mod on 1.3.5 poked that hole.
Flails, which I still like, now get to deal double damage when thrown fully? And have a new AOE aura when left click is being held down? Huh, looks like they learned a lesson from Fabsol!
The specific weapon buffs are still welcome. However.... Hallowed Armor gets Titanium Armor's old set bonus, while the latter now channels its inner David Guetta? Stardust Armor makes you a Stardust Crusader? Solar Flare Armor is now as good as Vortex and Nebula armor? Thank you so much for these armor changes!
Since I'll play Expert Mode on 1.4's first load, Golem, King Slime, and Moon Lord are harder to prepare for and fight now. Luckily, I'm pretty sure I can still use the UFO mount to manuever around the deathray of Moon Lord.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 2.45.34 PM.png
I dont think anyone has pointed this out yet, but the health/bana bar has been redone too. Small touches like these are amazing.

I guess that's one "problem" with the Moon Lord fight fixed.

However, I personally feel like - now that the developers are going hard out of their way to fix the common "cheese strats" - is that there is a much bigger problem with the Moon Lord fight, that being the fact that especially on your first time trying to beat him, for every 15 minutes you spend on attempts, you have to spend just as much if not more time grinding pillars for more Celestial Sigils, which is extremely boring and outright kills the pace of the game. On top of that every Celestial Sigil still has that 60s delay to it, which might not seem like much at first but it really does add up if the boss in question is difficult enough to take you dozens and maybe even hundreds of attempts. This is exactly the kind of thing that makes players quit: not just a difficulty spike, but one that forces waiting and hollow grinding upon the player as a punishment for dying, effectively discouraging them from playing the fight at all and making them feel unengaged.

I won't comment on the Rod of Discord grind, since I trust the developers to be sensible enough to either make the deathray reasonable to dodge without it or the other kind of "speed cheese arenas" (minecart, fishron+water bubbles, asphalt, teleporters), or, if it is basically made mandatory, shorten the grind on it. Personally, it's a cool item so I would like to see it become more accessible especially at this late of a stage in the game; maybe even make the Nebula Pillar drop it or something like that.

On the topic of pillars, I sincerely hope that event is reworked too. Having to stand on the very edge of the pillar area and spawning monsters one by one (otherwise you get completely destroyed) isn't very fun. Maybe have a requirement for the player to actually stay in the middle of the pillar area all the way through, but nerf the monsters and/or spawn rates slightly so it's reasonable.

Basically everything else is perfect.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you here. I'm someone who honestly enjoys a good item farm, setting up afk farms and having them work is one of my favorite aspects of the game. So getting the rod of discord isn't really an issue for me. But the pacing of the moon lord fight has always been kinda trash, with celestial sigils just improving it enough to make it not something I find worth complaining about. But completely invalidating bunker arenas takes a lot of fun OUT of the moon lord fight, in my opinion. Whether through use of a shelter-in-place strat with a heckload of regen, or something that lets you move around more to dodge behind blocks and avoid block-piercing attacks, the fact that the moon lord's attacks didn't pierce blocks felt like a step to encourage interesting arena building. it ENCOURAGED thoughtful preparation, which the gap between fights reinforced. Now the only reasonable strategy is to hop on a UFO and move diagonally a lot, and that makes the gap between fights feel a lot less reasonable, as preparation and arena-tweaking are meaningless.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not butthurt because I can't cheese the boss. I can kill him by running away and shooting just fine. But this is the first thing mentioned for 1.4 that I'm not fond of. hopefully, come launch day (and a couple dozen hours of gameplay later), I'll find out I was wrong.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you here. I'm someone who honestly enjoys a good item farm, setting up afk farms and having them work is one of my favorite aspects of the game. So getting the rod of discord isn't really an issue for me. But the pacing of the moon lord fight has always been kinda trash, with celestial sigils just improving it enough to make it not something I find worth complaining about. But completely invalidating bunker arenas takes a lot of fun OUT of the moon lord fight, in my opinion. Whether through use of a shelter-in-place strat with a heckload of regen, or something that lets you move around more to dodge behind blocks and avoid block-piercing attacks, the fact that the moon lord's attacks didn't pierce blocks felt like a step to encourage interesting arena building. it ENCOURAGED thoughtful preparation, which the gap between fights reinforced. Now the only reasonable strategy is to hop on a UFO and move diagonally a lot, and that makes the gap between fights feel a lot less reasonable, as preparation and arena-tweaking are meaningless.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not butthurt because I can't cheese the boss. I can kill him by running away and shooting just fine. But this is the first thing mentioned for 1.4 that I'm not fond of. hopefully, come launch day (and a couple dozen hours of gameplay later), I'll find out I was wrong.
I agree with this as well. I feel like that arena design has always been a core part of the average terraria gameplay, especially with all the tools we have at our disposal. Making the moon lord less cheesable is a step in the right direction though however I feel like there could be a better way. Perhaps the moon lord is no longer forced to sit directly behind you but has more freedom of movement? Maybe he enrages if you stand still in one place for too long? Idk but I hope that the wall-piercing attacks was not the only change and that there is more stuff that could make up for this that we just don't know about yet.

I hope these surprises make Golem harder, because I still shred him even with weapons that aren't good against dungeon mobs.

Also, what are you going to do about getting into the temple early and stealing the altar with wiring? maybe some sort of temple guardian? I know it's purposely in the game and that the getting into the temple early is only for the traps and the Lizard pet, but it still feels kind of weird going in with Plantera not destroyed. :dryadindifferent:

Purists when the devs resprite everything to 'calamity style'

View attachment 269450

I love you guys and I am even more hyped for the update now, 12 MORE DAYS HERE WE GOOOOOOOOO
Ehh... personally I'm one of those who has never been a fan of the "calamity style" and my first instinct is to go on a tirade against some of these new sprites. They're a bit too smooth and glossy in my opinion. However I recognize I'm in the minority and it's not a huge deal.

So..like...the Dragon Ball Terraria beam stuff is canonical now. Neat.

Also I hope the golem isn't -too- stupid. That room he spawns in is generally tiny and with added pain means less room to evade the newly added shenanigans we don't know about.

Love the new looks, and love the new rebalances too! Over the three years of waiting, I think I've only had 1 concern over a spoiled deature/change, which is frankly impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom