What weapons do you think need buffed?

Isolated Egg

Terrarian
I think that the Nebula Pillar weapons need buffed. I don't really see a use from them, since some other weapons are more powerful than it.

The Breaker Blade needs a buff to put it on par with the other weapons WoF drops. The Keybrand also needs a buff to make it a viable sword. The Crystal Vile Shard needs armor piercing to make it actually usable. The Anchor is very underpowered, it should be at least made on level with a Cobalt Sword. The Christmas Tree Sword is extremely useless, I would like to see a use for it. The Charged Blaster Cannon is also pretty mediocre, I would like to also see it buffed a little bit.

There are many other weapons I'd like to list, but they have slipped my mind and I'm sure everyone would know anyways.

Pretty much half the hardmode magic arsenal, really. It's absolutely dreadful.

Ultimately, magic weapons fall into one of these categories to remain relevant:
- Pierces walls
- Fires from above
- Rapid-fire forward projectile
- Homing forward projectile
- Forward projectile

Later weapons tend to combine these properties and obsolete the ones that come before them, but then when you get into the actual categories, there's barely any progression because either they deal too little damage (Crystal Vileshard, Wasp Gun), cost too much mana to be sustainable when autofired for sustained single-target casting (Unholy Trident, Venom Staff, Nebula), appear too late to really be useful anymore (Dungeon in general, Medusa Head, Toxic Flask)...

So ultimately what you do is this; first craft a Meteor Staff, then fish for a Crystal Serpent, and then you use that until Razorblade Typhoon, which you use to get a Blizzard Staff to replace your Meteor Staff.

Many of the magic weapons that could be good are primarily held back by their mana costs rather than their usage mechanics; the reason that Meteor Staff and Crystal Serpent are so powerful is that they barely cost any mana and they can cast nearly indefinitely when under the effects of a Mana Regeneration Potion without triggering the debilitating Mana Sickness debuff.

Razorblade Typhoon stands out above Nebula weapons because despite its mana cost of 16 per use, each use fires two projectiles that linger for a while and rapidly tear through endless swarms of monsters, making it highly efficient. With Mana Regeneration active, it is also capable of casting indefinitely with nearly no loss in effective mobbing DPS against small targets or even larger targets if you wish to use it on them due to the mechanics of piercing damage. Nebula Arcanum is too slow and costly to allow for a similar use, even if it is significantly more powerful in its actual element since Luminite seems to be its own type of piercing damage without a proper piercing damage cap. Prism and Lunar Flare are powerful and Flare is actually sustainable under these rules, but you've beaten the game at that point and there's nothing to use it on outside of rematches, invasions, and modded content that'll replace it within ten microseconds anyway.

tl;dr let casters have some variety

also nerf holy arrows so the ammunition you use is more of a choice

@Agastya replace Meteor Staff with Sky Fracture. Meteor Staff takes way too much mana and is way too unwieldy. In fact I don't think I've even used Crystal Serpent, just Leaf Blower and Magic Harp.

Meteor Staff is used for safely attacking enemies from inside your base, and offers great ground control with its massive AOE explosions when the meteors impact. At a whopping base 50 damage per 13 mana in a wide area, it has fairly sustainable auto-casting with Mana Regeneration active, even though it will be significantly slower than its normal firing rate. In open areas, its a great equalizer for early hardmode enemies as long as you attack ahead of where they'll be and it lasts up until Blizzard Staff for its niche because most players don't want to deal with Martian Saucers in the open.

I admittedly forgot about Sky Fracture since I haven't played dedicated magic since its release; I only made one to play around with it on an endgame character where it felt very fun. It provides an alternative to Crystal Serpent in single target damage, but Serpent wins out in sustain at a cost of 9 mana per shot with a slower firing rate than Fracture, making it best in general usage scenarios whereas Fracture wins out when you want to burst an enemy down with flinchlock and have no concerns about mana as it costs 14 per cast while providing three bolts.

Serpent is also far easier to use as it has no aiming gimmicks; Fracture aims all the blades at the cursor on firing so if your cursor is too close to you they'll fly off in wild directions. For general use though (and likely for gamepad players with lock-on) this isn't an issue.

Chlorophyte Saber: +knockback
Psycho Knife: stealth is only canceled when hit. now uses mechanics similar to Arkhalis
Wasp Gun, Crystal Vile Shard and Nettle Burst: pierce through half of enemies' defense
Spectre Staff and Spirit Flame: +ability to go through walls
Charged Blaster Cannon: +ability to readjust aim on kamehameha
Staff of Earth: increase minimum damage dealt by lingering boulders
Sleepy Octopod, Tome of Infinite Wisdom, Phantom Phoenix, Ghastly Glaive, Brand of the Inferno: stop locking tier 2 Old One's Army behind a mechanical boss
Tempest Staff: +velocity
Coin Gun: automatically convert coins into ammo type in top coin slot
Staff of the Frost Hydra: +fire rate
Keybrand: +chance to spawn Dungeon Spirit when killing enemies in Dungeon
Rainbow Rod: automatically shoot more projectiles following original projectile's path
Piranha Gun: automatically seek nearby enemies if the first shot collides with a block or reaches maximum distance
Nebula Blaze: -mana cost
Stardust Cell Staff: cap debuff damage at 200 per tick rather than 100
Daybreak: +spear longevity
Rainbow Crystal Staff: remove explosion delay

Probably the Medusa Head. I actually found it kinda useful dealing with easy enemies like slimes, but I feel that it could definitely benefit from a damage boost and maybe a larger attack area, maybe even going through blocks.

Breaker Blade is pretty lame which stinks because it looks so cool. Like by the time I get it I already have my Night's Edge so at that point who cares.

Same with Keybrand, if it's whole thing is its a really strong late game sword but has no secondary effects, I feel it needs to be a bit stronger.

Breaker Blade is pretty lame which stinks because it looks so cool. Like by the time I get it I already have my Night's Edge so at that point who cares.

Same with Keybrand, if it's whole thing is its a really strong late game sword but has no secondary effects, I feel it needs to be a bit stronger.
Keybrand isn't even really strong, it's weaker than the Terra Blade and has no ranged ability.

Back
Top Bottom