What Would Ruin Terraria for You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue that Minecraft did the durability system well, with the only problem being with the system is when Diamond is involved as Diamond is far too rare. For a starter, Minecraft requires minimal resources to craft weapons compared to Terraria, with a maximum of 8 simple bars for a chestplate, 2 bars for a sword or 31 Iron for an anvil. Once you reach each respective tier, gathering more than enough of these resources (except Diamond) to replenish your weapon and armor stocks shouldn't be a problem provided you focus on mining. And for those enchantments, weapons and items can be repaired at an anvil so these weapons never break. This system would not fit in Terraria at all, however.

Instead; Pusedo-durability, in the form of reforge deterioration over time, has some value in Terraria. After a set amount of uses which varies with each weapon, the weapon goes down in reforge status, eventually going all the way down to the lowest possible reforge (eg. Broken) through continued uses. Weapons can be repaired either via Goblin Tinkerer to restore the weapon to the highest reforge obtained on it or via gathering extra resources (or finding repair kits somewhere) at an anvil for early game players.
Thoughts

Instead; Pusedo-durability, in the form of reforge deterioration over time, has some value in Terraria. After a set amount of uses which varies with each weapon, the weapon goes down in reforge status, eventually going all the way down to the lowest possible reforge (eg. Broken) through continued uses. Weapons can be repaired either via Goblin Tinkerer to restore the weapon to the highest reforge obtained on it or via gathering extra resources (or finding repair kits somewhere) at an anvil for early game players.
Thoughts
There was a thread on that, and a massive flame war started with multiple warnings handed out. So.... yeah

Unless said game has a way to repair the weapons back.

Then it is not that bad... it can work in some games...(It would not work in Terraria even then though).

Even with repairs, durability is a mechanic that is annoying to deal with. I understand why it is a frequent mechanic in survival games as they are trying as best they can to simulate a real world situation. Minecraft is a survival game, but I think the durability mechanic hurts it in the long run because whenever I play it, I find myself 80% of the time worrying about if I brought enough tools with me to go exploring. I'm afraid to use iron and diamonds to make anything because I know I will eventually lose those tools that required iron/diamond to make and have to save them to make new ones. Sure there are enchantments to expand this and repairs for it now, but it doesn't change the fact that I always have to use iron/diamond to maintain or replace the tools I already have. I would like to use iron to build blocks, minecart tracks, and other cool things, but I have to worry about making sure I have enough iron for new tools instead. It is because of this mentality that I only do creative mode in Minecraft because I want to build cool things and not worry about the survival mechanics of survival mode.

When the eye of cuthulu will be removed.
Or When a second skin was been added who don't looks terraria-like.
Or Redstone.

Toenail of Cthulu. I mean ew, who'd wanna fight this thing?!?

Seriously though, hunger and durability heavily counteract what Terraria is built around and would make many stages in the game incredibly tedious.

The problem with most of the Projectile Melee weapons is that they are not Melee, but no cost Magic weapons that deal Melee damage; especially in the case of the Flarion, Horseman's blade, Scourge of the Corruptor, etc. and are like that because the devs decided to take the easy way out instead of addressing the core problem behind Melee - the game not being built around its (original) requirement to get close and personal vs high damage mobs in order to deal the DPS required to win.
At this point, it is too late to fix this issue considering 1.3 is just around the corner and that is the last major update. Fixing something like this properly will both tick off a lot of fans who became used to the way Melee has become as well as it would mean major changes to the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom