what would you guys say is Terraria's biggest problem

What games are you comparing it to? Terraria has sold at least 30 million copies which is insane by any metric. Yeah it's no Minecraft, but that's still in the 20 best selling games of all time. I never thought the fanbase was small either; quite the contrary.

Anyway, I can't say I have an unbiased opinion on one of my favourite games, but I think the biggest problem with Terraria is a lack of long-term planning. It feels like content is thrown into the game individually, rather than thinking about how it fits into the greater whole. This is a hard concept to enunciate clearly, but I hope I got the point across.

Yep, you can even see players that haven’t at all chopped down a tree or gotten wood(because it activates the achievement) so most of them launched it then closed it sadly
That's another thing that I find extremely funny, yet depressing. People not able to get the achievements for extremely easy, early game stuff.

That’s because of two things There’s a ton of people who buy Steam games in bulk and leave them sitting in their library wasting space for years on end, and many old players haven’t played the game since 1.3 when achievements were thrown in.

And still, 75% of 30 million is still *impressive* when you look at the actual playerbase

I get your points, it's just... if terrain has so much going for it how come everyone has been giving up on terraria lately.

I find it funny how people say that when Terraria is IMO a way better game, for more than half of Minecraft's price.
What games are you comparing it to? Terraria has sold at least 30 million copies which is insane by any metric. Yeah it's no Minecraft, but that's still in the 20 best selling games of all time. I never thought the fanbase was small either; quite the contrary.

Anyway, I can't say I have an unbiased opinion on one of my favourite games, but I think the biggest problem with Terraria is a lack of long-term planning. It feels like content is thrown into the game individually, rather than thinking about how it fits into the greater whole. This is a hard concept to enunciate clearly, but I hope I got the point across.
Yep, you can even see players that haven’t at all chopped down a tree or gotten wood(because it activates the achievement) so most of them launched it then closed it sadly
That's another thing that I find extremely funny, yet depressing. People not able to get the achievements for extremely easy, early game stuff.
That’s because of two things There’s a ton of people who buy Steam games in bulk and leave them sitting in their library wasting space for years on end, and many old players haven’t played the game since 1.3 when achievements were thrown in.

And still, 75% of 30 million is still *impressive* when you look at the actual playerbase
I get your points, it's just... if terrain has so much going for it how come everyone has been giving up on terraria lately.

Because the game just released its final update. There was a spike in popularity around 1.4, and now that's worn off. You can expect a smaller resurgence after Console and TModloader reach 1.4.

but with its final update, the devs are soon to give up on terraria with no updates the game is trapped never to grow or change, and is soon to lose popularity. that makes me sad

but with its final update, the devs are soon to give up on terraria with no updates the game is trapped never to grow or change, and is soon to lose popularity. that makes me sad

I mean, that’s sadly just what happens to games. I guarantee you that the Super Mario 64 playerbase is significantly smaller than it was after the release of the game, and most of us don’t play Super Mario Odyssey much after we full completed the game for the first time. There’s nothing wrong with Terraria itself (well, on the larger scale of things), it’s just what happens to games.

I mean, we're all here, I doubt a many of us would just completely abandon Terraria after it finishes.

but no more changes, terraria will be trapped, people will soon stop and get bored of a game trapped in stasis, YouTubers will lose views and eventually, will give up too after having nothing to do for a long time. I'm not saying it is a short or fast process, but it has already started, if the developers are giving up on the game, (and no matter how you say it journeys end is their way of saying they have) well... terraria I'm afraid does not have much time left. I wish we could just talk to the developers, to cheer them on. its really sad for me to say but terraria has been cheated out of a deserving profit margin, and after to long of this has been given up on, even its creators have no deemed it a lost cause. wich makes me wanna cry.

Or you get all your wood from underground houses. I don't think Terraria has many issues other than maybe class balancing. I think ranger is stronger than the other classes until you get Last Prism, Terraprisma, or Zenith.

but no more changes, terraria will be trapped, people will soon stop and get bored of a game trapped in stasis, YouTubers will lose views and eventually, will give up too after having nothing to do for a long time. I'm not saying it is a short or fast process, but it has already started, if the developers are giving up on the game, (and no matter how you say it journeys end is their way of saying they have) well... terraria I'm afraid does not have much time left. I wish we could just talk to the developers, to cheer them on. its really sad for me to say but terraria has been cheated out of a deserving profit margin, and after to long of this has been given up on, even its creators have no deemed it a lost cause. wich makes me wanna cry.

I mean, the devs literally believe the game is complete. They aren’t abandoning the game, they feel they have completed the game and want to move on to the next project. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the devs wanting to do something new.

Plus, the devs went out of their way to give the table four legs to stand on. Official tModLoader support, Steam Workshop compatiability is being worked on, and crossplay is being developed.

If they want the game to live they should add some renewable game mechanics such as minecraft's creative mode.

Giving up? Nobody ever said Relogic was giving up. Terraria has been worked on by them for almost 10 years now, they have finished the game and are moving onto other projects. The way that you describe them "giving up" and the game's popularity dying down, making it sound like a huge tragedy is just wrong. Of course it would eventually lose popularity, Terraria isn't going to be an eternal thing. Also, you made it sound like Terraria was a failure. It's not. Terraria is in the top 20 best-selling games of all time. I don't think that qualifies as a failure.

but the lore released signified a continuation, all sorts of stuff that is not yet finished in the game, leaving gaping holes in the story, they practily did that TO be able to add more to the story.

Back
Top Bottom