what would you guys say is Terraria's biggest problem

but the lore released signified a continuation, all sorts of stuff that is not yet finished in the game, leaving gaping holes in the story, they practily did that TO be able to add more to the story.
No? The lore was just a neat little thing that Relogic put out to celebrate Terraria's 8th anniversary.

Giving up? Nobody ever said Relogic was giving up. Terraria has been worked on by them for almost 10 years now, they have finished the game and are moving onto other projects. The way that you describe them "giving up" and the game's popularity dying down, making it sound like a huge tragedy is just wrong. Of course it would eventually lose popularity, Terraria isn't going to be an eternal thing. Also, you made it sound like Terraria was a failure. It's not. Terraria is in the top 20 best-selling games of all time. I don't think that qualifies as a failure.
but games like Minecraft and HECK EVEN FORTNITE, arent even to beging to die down or stop making billions, despite paleing in content to terraria.

but games like Minecraft and HECK EVEN FORTNITE, arent even to beging to die down or stop making billions, despite paleing in content to terraria.

Terraria certainly isn’t slowing down either. The game has 30 million copies sold, and the Terraria subreddits and discord are currentlg some of the largest in gaming, and have been consistently up there since the drop of Journey’s End and longer. Just because those other games are even bigger doesn’t mean Terraria isn’t successful.

No? The lore was just a neat little thing that Relogic put out to celebrate Terraria's 8th anniversary.
what! dude re-read the lore, what about the dungeon and experiment storylines. and that aside I don't know about you guys but terraria just don't seem done to me.

Because those are popular, and Minecraft isn't finished development, there's still new content being added because Mojang believes there's more to be added. Fortnite BR is still receiving content because it's an online game with servers running constantly, when it inevitably shuts down, it'll die out almost immediately because no one will be able to play the game anymore. Terraria is no longer receiving content because the developers are proud of their work, and believe there is nothing more to add.

Terraria certainly isn’t slowing down either. The game has 30 million copies sold, and the Terraria subreddits and discord are currentlg some of the largest in gaming, and have been consistently up there since the drop of Journey’s End and longer. Just because those other games are even bigger doesn’t mean Terraria isn’t successful.
huh, terraria has stoped growing right? plus with terraria overworld being cancelled, this world has been closed forever.

Because those are popular, and Minecraft isn't finished development, there's still new content being added because Mojang believes there's more to be added. Fortnite BR is still receiving content because it's an online game with servers running constantly, when it inevitably shuts down, it'll die out almost immediately because no one will be able to play the game anymore. Terraria is no longer receiving content because the developers are proud of their work, and believe there is nothing more to add.
yes but this is exactly my question, how come terraria is not popular!

what! dude re-read the lore, what about the dungeon and experiment storylines. and that aside I don't know about you guys but terraria just don't seem done to me.
Terraria wasn't created with a story in mind. Keep in mind the lore was written 8 years after Terraria released, I can see where you're coming from, but the lore was just made to satisfy fans and celebrate the 8th anniversary. Plus, the lore isn't even that good. Lots of plot holes and directly contradicting what the devs have said multiple times.

Terraria wasn't created with a story in mind. Keep in mind the lore was written 8 years after Terraria released, I can see where you're coming from, but the lore was just made to satisfy fans and celebrate the 8th anniversary. Plus, the lore isn't even that good. Lots of plot holes and directly contradicting what the devs have said multiple times.
oh, thought the reason it was confusing and contradictory was because it, related to the plotholes in the game, like when the new content I released it will al make sense in due time. after 1.4 and no proper conclusion, I assumed that there was more.

I’m not sure what you’re definition of popular is, but top 20 games of all time, 30 million copies sold, massive modding community, and some of the largest online pages is a pretty good sign of popularity.
if it was popular as it deserves to be, I would be able to ask people my friends if they play terraria without being poked for playing "the 2D, Minecraft nock-off"

oh, thought the reason it was confusing and contradictory was because it, related to the plotholes in the game, like when the new content I released it will al make sense in due time. after 1.4 and no proper conclusion, I assumed that there was more.
No. It's just confusing and contradictory. For example, the lore heavily implies Moon Lord is Cthulhu, while before the lore was released, Red himself said that Moon Lord is Cthulhu's brother. An example of the devs contradicting themselves.

if it was popular as it deserves to be, I would be able to ask people my friends if they play terraria without being poked for playing "the 2D, Minecraft nock-off"

Well, that’s different. It’s fine to think the game deserves to be more popular, but look at the scale of the game already! It’s not unpopular or lesser known in the slightest. It’s like calling Hollow Knight an “underrated indie gem”.

Well, that's just people refusing to be open-minded and try new experiences.

No. It's just confusing and contradictory. For example, the lore heavily implies Moon Lord is Cthulhu, while before the lore was released, Red himself said that Moon Lord is Cthulhu's brother. An example of the devs contradicting themselves.
that was a joke on the discord, similar to when somebody said the Guide is the Wall of Flesh, the brother of the ninja inside King Slime, great grandson of the nymph , and son of the Moon Lord, and red poped up with the joke and I quote "THIS IS NOW CANNON"

that was a joke on the discord, similar to when somebody said the Guide is the Wall of Flesh, the brother of the ninja inside King Slime, great grandson of the nymph , and son of the Moon Lord, and red poped up with the joke and I quote "THIS IS NOW CANNON"
But still, the lore was just shambled together to please fans.

Anyway, I can't say I have an unbiased opinion on one of my favourite games, but I think the biggest problem with Terraria is a lack of long-term planning. It feels like content is thrown into the game individually, rather than thinking about how it fits into the greater whole. This is a hard concept to enunciate clearly, but I hope I got the point across.
I feel like that's more MC style, it's only recently that they've started to plan updates connected to certain points in the game.

I wouldn't worry too much about Terraria, it's not going anywhere, anytime soon. The game has waaay too much replayability & creative freedom to die so easily. Let me give you a list of ten (10) reasons I believe Terraria will endure another 10-15 years, if not more!

online players 02-05-2021.png

1. We still have young, Master Builders in the community, still mastering their craft & file sharing is going to be integrated into the game as a feature soon. Prepare for Adventure Maps to have a second surge of popularity in about a year or so.
  2. A group I'm a member of, Terraria Online (Steam), currently has 56,574 members, about 14,000 active & typically up to 1,000 in-game daily. That's just one group, I'm also a member of _Terraria_ (36,603 members), & Terraria Everyday (2,293 members).
  3. When I have the off-chance, I decode Terraria's Lore in my free time; trust me when I tell you, it's far from incomplete! It's one of the greatest, untapped portions of this game in my opinion! 🤘😆
  4. Golf games have a pretty committed & loyal following. Just wait a few years until the news gets out that Terraria has a pretty amazing Golf System. The Maps we have now are pretty brilliant, but once players start creating regulation Gold Courses... it's to the moon!
  5. I'm pretty sure that Terraria's Pixel Art & Aesthetic Builder's community isn't going anywhere. In just mid 2020 alone, I saw a popular creator, who goes by orange, get nearly 2000+ upvotes on one of his creations. That's better than most popular games I own!
  6. There's a stark difference between "fan popularity" & a "cult following". Terraria possesses the latter; I've been playing this game for several years while I've watched my friends pick-up & put-down the hottest new game title like a revolving door. There's a difference!
  7. I don't think the Modding Community is going anywhere, any time soon! I'm just now getting into playing Terraria with Mods, & have the luxury of them still being there, waiting on me, even if I've never touched them until 2021. Let's that sink in... 👉😌👈
  8. Speaking of "Terraria Online", did you know there's like, 50+ different active servers up at any given time? If you wanna meet some nice, new people, there's nothing stopping you from joining one. They're all very different from one another too (e.g. PvP, Roleplay, Hardcode).
  9. You can start your own server, community, or Mod if you'd like. Every player in this community has the power to spark interest if they're passionate enough about the game. Why wait on someone else to make Terraria "popular", it could be 'you'! 😉👌
  10. Someone already said it, but it's a slight chance that Terraria might just get the ability to do cross-system co-op! If this happens, if this really works, my goodness will that be HUGE! Terraria will make history... again!
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too-too much. This game will take it's place in history eventually. We've all just gotta be patient & do our part. What this game has accomplished is impossible to ignore!!

The game is complete however they did say that a sequel was to come out(no I'm not talking about the sotg j ) and has been in deolvepvment since 2012 and there still fixing and adding thing so it's not fully complete and even though the game is ending, it is still very fun. Even if Terraria ends, the game is something that will be not be forgotten. And like howneedsnamesthbs said all games will come to an end and i know that's sad but it's just the way of a game.:):happy::sigh:<3

however they did say that a sequel was to come out

That’s probably not true, if you’re referring to what the gamepedia's "upcoming features” page or something similar said. It’s basically several year old ideas from the devs that have never been capitalized or worked on, and are in no way official. Closest thing was Otherworld, which as we all know was cancelled.

Back
Top Bottom