What's something you do during boss fights or events, that isn't considered to be wise?

Catman8274

Official Terrarian
What I seek to know is something you do in boss fights, or events, that isn't necessarily a good idea, but you do it anyway, just because you like doing it, or it works for you.

For me, I really love doing Plantera somewhat freestyle, meaning without a built arena. I like using the Underground Jungle as my arena, even though it's not really a good idea, especially in phase 2. It has worked for me in the past! However, I will make like a Mythbuster and slap a nice, big "DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME" sticker on it. Just because it works for me, doesn't mean it will work for you. It also doesn't make it a good idea.

Probably would be something that I should do rather than not do. But for most bosses, even bosses on Expert Mode and even on single player, I don't use buff potions during boss fights most of the time. Healing Potions will be the only recovery item I have in most cases though my arenas will have campfires in them.

It's mostly because I forget to think about using buff potions. Or it's too early in the game to get a good alchemy plant farm going. I'll wait until the dryad appears so I can use the planter boxes to create potion farms, and that in itself requires defeating the Eye of Cthulhu in most playthroughs. Either King Slime or EoC are one of the 1st bosses commonly defeated on a playthrough since they can spawn randomly if the conditions are right.

I'll only consciously need to think about and use buff potions when fighting the Moon Lord, since it is difficult for me to fight no matter what equipment I have and such. I can get away with not needing buff potions for Expert Mode boss fights, but I wouldn't recommend it, and it's not a habit I'm intending to be in.

Another thing I'll try to do frequently is fight Duke Fishron before defeating Plantera to get early access to it's very strong weapons. Also wouldn't recommend.

Probably would be something that I should do rather than not do. But for most bosses, even bosses on Expert Mode and even on single player, I don't use buff potions during boss fights most of the time. Healing Potions will be the only recovery item I have in most cases though my arenas will have campfires in them.

It's mostly because I forget to think about using buff potions. Or it's too early in the game to get a good alchemy plant farm going. I'll wait until the dryad appears so I can use the planter boxes to create potion farms, and that in itself requires defeating the Eye of Cthulhu in most playthroughs. Either King Slime or EoC are one of the 1st bosses commonly defeated on a playthrough since they can spawn randomly if the conditions are right.

I'll only consciously need to think about and use buff potions when fighting the Moon Lord, since it is difficult for me to fight no matter what equipment I have and such. I can get away with not needing buff potions for Expert Mode boss fights, but I wouldn't recommend it, and it's not a habit I'm intending to be in.

Another thing I'll try to do frequently is fight Duke Fishron before defeating Plantera to get early access to it's very strong weapons. Also wouldn't recommend.
I did that too before going to PC and playing Expert. Mostly because I was just too dang lazy to actually make the potions. That and there's no control on mobile that actually gives you all of the buffs from the buff potions you have in your inventory.

For me, I really love doing Plantera somewhat freestyle, meaning without a built arena. I like using the Underground Jungle as my arena, even though it's not really a good idea, especially in phase 2.
I do that myself, though it's actually a tactical decision in my case. I use the walls and ceilings to block Plantera's projectiles, and fire through the walls at it using a Death Sickle. I usually still need to do a little prep, though, in checking out the map, otherwise I'll get lost, and that rarely ends well.

I do that myself, though it's actually a tactical decision in my case. I use the walls and ceilings to block Plantera's projectiles, and fire through the walls at it using a Death Sickle. I usually still need to do a little prep, though, in checking out the map, otherwise I'll get lost, and that rarely ends well.
Yeah, I came from Mobile. Checking the map wasn't the easiest thing to do. So, I usually decided to just kinda roll with it.

Well, where do I start? I pretty much forget potions exist, but I'm trying to break that habit. I also... Well... I...

Never use an arena. The only arenas I have made are a bunch of platforms for EoC and a small machine for fighting Destroyer. Literally the only times. However, I'm going to make one very soon, so I guess that'll break my stream of 11 months without arenas.

Finally, I can't resist bouncing on EoC/Skeletron with a Slime Mount, even though 99% of the time they despawn.

Well, where do I start? I pretty much forget potions exist, but I'm trying to break that habit. I also... Well... I...

Never use an arena. The only arenas I have made are a bunch of platforms for EoC and a small machine for fighting Destroyer. Literally the only times. However, I'm going to make one very soon, so I guess that'll break my stream of 11 months without arenas.

Finally, I can't resist bouncing on EoC/Skeletron with a Slime Mount, even though 99% of the time they despawn.
You have my habits! If not for Expert Mode, I'd still be doing these things.

You have my habits! If not for Expert Mode, I'd still be doing these things.
Add another one: rushing into boss fights. Just tried to beat Lunatic Cultist with a Megashark. Haven't done Duke Fishron. Haven't prepared at all. Lasted 3 minutes.

a thing i do during bosses is my arena is on the opposite side of my npc house to my actual spawn house so if im on multiplayer i end up running through the house if die and almost kill the npcs inside from boss attacks

I'm generally not very prepared. For instance, rushing to beat the moon lord without any buffs, before duke fishron, and missing 4 gold hearts. I did get it on the 4th attempt, but i'd like to say it was from pure luck, and because i farmed some extra life fruit. I mean, i try to get the best possible armor and decent weapons, but i almost always forget buffs. I also tend to underestimate bosses. Here i was thinking that the Lunatic Cultist would be a piece of cake since Golem was so easy. Nah mate, that isn't happening.

I'm generally not very prepared. For instance, rushing to beat the moon lord without any buffs, before duke fishron, and missing 4 gold hearts. I did get it on the 4th attempt, but i'd like to say it was from pure luck, and because i farmed some extra life fruit. I mean, i try to get the best possible armor and decent weapons, but i almost always forget buffs. I also tend to underestimate bosses. Here i was thinking that the Lunatic Cultist would be a piece of cake since Golem was so easy. Nah mate, that isn't happening.
Back in mobile, Duke would probably be the only boss I'd actually prepare for. Whenever I beat it, it'd usually be EXTREMELY close.

Wait, you can fight Duke Fishron pre-Plantera? I always though that Truffle Worms spawn post-Plantera

Wait, you can fight Duke Fishron pre-Plantera? I always though that Truffle Worms spawn post-Plantera

Yup. Truffle Worms start spawning as soon as hardmode begins. Meaning you can fight Duke Fishron anytime during HM. Though for many people they won't be ready to face Fishron until the late game.

Yup. Truffle Worms start spawning as soon as hardmode begins. Meaning you can fight Duke Fishron anytime during HM. Though for many people they won't be ready to face Fishron until the late game.
So basically you can fight him pre-Mech? :p

I fight bosses out of order.
E.g. Duke Fishron post-ML, The Destroyer last.
Wait... Destroyer last? He's generally the first Mech boss I fight. Though your experiences with him probably differ from mine.

If you're curious as to what order I fight the Mech bosses in...
  1. Destroyer
  2. Twins
    1. Spazmatism
    2. Retinazer
  3. Prime
Also... Bad habit: face-tanking. 'nuff said.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom