What's the proper etiquette for alerting someone to an updated edit to a reply?

trigger_segfault

Spazmatism
At the moment when I need to update someone of a change and I was the last person to post on the forum, I reply in a new post to alert them and copy the contents of the previous post over to the new one then delete the old one.

Is this against the rules of the forums? Are users alerted to edits? I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is.

Other Forum members do not get alerts for edits, If you edit your post, it will not send an alert to the people watching a Thread.

As for double posting, in general we do not permit double posting in general discussions. It mainly becomes an issue when it becomes a pattern or spam from other members. But if it has been a significant bit of time since your last post, and you have new relevant material to contribute to the Thread discussion. Or in this case being an update, it is fine to double post in those cases.

It sort of depends on the content of the update if you are posting to update a suggestion or mod. But generally as long as it's been a few days since your last post, it is fine to double post from there if you have a fair amount of new content to update the Thread with.

Back
Top Bottom