What's your idea for a new minor class?

There is no classes in the game unless you personally and/or programmatically set them up.

If what you mean is a set-up of gear:

Commander: Cast creatures that have health and damage and go under complex AI.

Worldmender: Attacks that are based on your surroundings not based around what you have (mana, ammo, etc.)

A "utilities" class that uses every awkward-to-put feature in terraria would be nice to have.
(You know, drills, traps, and punch guns. Such things.)

Although Summoner came out from magic, i would like something that would come out form the summoning class
Like some "Engineer" stuff
Focusing in quick-builds that are automatic, static,weak and fast or hard-builds that are slow to build, but stronger
This could include sentrys, shields, traps, buildings that the player would use as weapon and all this crazy stuff

How about this side-class of Melee: Inventor!

Equips Armor that's like WoW's Gazlowe's wearable Mech Backpack dude, then the Weapon is a melee-like Tool that the Inventor plugs in & out of the Mech Dude he/she's carrying around. The Steampunker would be their Patron NPC. `:p (Like the Warrior, these Weapons could have some Melee Range weapons like Sawblade Hands, & some Ranged Melee weapons like a Inventor equivalent of the Chain Knife or Golem Fist or such.)

That would just be throwing. Improving potion effects seems more a buff or accessory type area. Remember when it comes to classes, of which Terraria has none technically, weapons lead, and armor/accessories follow.
If limited to just thrown potions, sure, but I think there's enough there to make "Alchemist" a unique class if handled properly.

Just offhand, here are a few ideas for what the class' armor could potentially do:
  • Lengthen self-buffs from potions/flasks/food/etc. while worn
  • Improve the damage of fire/poison effects caused by the player's weaponry
  • Improve the duration or effectiveness of non-damaging effects caused by the player (Ichor, money drops, etc.)
  • Reduce (or entirely eliminate) the debuff from drinking a magic potion
  • Greatly increase the effects of potions while worn (Lifeforce Potion's life boost, Ironskin Potion's defense boost, etc.)
Essentially, the class could be geared more towards secondary effects, combat avoidance, and exploration than dealing damage outright. It doesn't even necessarily need its own damage type (though I understand that was what the topic was asking for :p).

Oh, we were supposed to be talking about stuff that'd warrant its own damage type, ala Summoners? Doh... :sigh:

Ok, maybe the Inventor's weapons could do 'Mech Damage'...? 'o_O

With summoners now split off from magic users, and throwing weapons distinct from range, what would you make into a new class of weapons, with a couple new armors to back it up? Make it something unique, distinct from what we already have, the way summons are different from anything else.
Well, i'll give it a go...

How about a Riding Class? A lot of mounts do damage, all you need is a few more and some armor and it's a class!

Maybe for early game the cactus armor could add riding damage, and there could be an antlion charger mount? It wouldn't be very strong, but it would be decent. Later game, there could be a Wall of Cute (yes kinda like Cute Fishron) that could shoot lazers? I don't know... I think it could be a cool class.

How about an alternate summoner-esque class, the bewitcher.
Rather than summoning minions, a bewitcher would have staves that would make an enemy fight for you using it's normal (maybe slightly modified) AI.
Accessories for this class could include special charms that allow the player to give buffs to nearby allies, such as increased attack, defense, speed, health regen, or maybe even some special charms that would allow all allies to inflict certain debuffs. (eg. a venom medallion would cause allies to inflict venom on attack, a tornado medallion would allow allies and the player to have increased stats while airborne and allow for more movement option.)

Another idea might be a Brawler melee class who uses highspeed attacks at point blank range(think Arkhalis) and who uses dash attacks and can avoid some damage(like u get from master ninja gear) coupled with very high movement speed.(like built in rocket boots)

that reminds me of rogues from cube world.

Some kind of Witch or Shaman class would be cool. Sort of like the typical mage class but with elemental attacks. Staffs that shoot boulders, fireballs, a forcefield of electricity, etc. Many of the ideas are already in the game, though.

I really dig the idea of voodoo. Basically you make dolls with plant fibres (spanish moss in particular) to represent a mob, and then whatever you do to the doll happens to the mob. There are already Clothier and Guide Dolls in game, so a series of AOE attacks centered around the player represented by doll weapons would be cool.

That general idea hasn't been done yet; forcefields of attacks centered around the player. While it's similar to swords, it would use mana instead and completely encircle the player, like the Inferno Potion.

Cobwebs + silk could make the first doll, some could be dropped by demons & other sorcerer enemies, etc.

The AoE attacks could vary to ice (chill debuff) to ichor (Crimson) or cursed fire, or in general anything that causes a status effect since that's the main idea of voodoo dolls. Perhaps there could also be some sort of vampiric doll which deals just melee damage (in a smaller aoe) but also returns life.

There is no classes in the game unless you personally and/or programmatically set them up.

*sigh*
There are classes in terraria. Terraria is an RPG class based game. Why? EVERY WEAPON has a damage category, being melee, ranger, mage, and summoner. Which are ALL classes. RPG stands for Role Playing Game. In terraria you play the ROLE of a presumed hero who is to defeat bosses and cleanse the world. If that wasnt the mission, the dryad would serve next to no purpose telling you the Status of your world and NPCs would be able to live in the corruption/crimson. Personally i think this "Classes dont exist" thing to be far overused and invalid. Theres obviously classes.

*sigh*
There are classes in terraria. Terraria is an RPG class based game. Why? EVERY WEAPON has a damage category, being melee, ranger, mage, and summoner. Which are ALL classes. RPG stands for Role Playing Game. In terraria you play the ROLE of a presumed hero who is to defeat bosses and cleanse the world. If that wasnt the mission, the dryad would serve next to no purpose telling you the Status of your world and NPCs would be able to live in the corruption/crimson. Personally i think this "Classes dont exist" thing to be far overused and invalid. Theres obviously classes.
I have changed my mind some time ago, I didn't need a reply.

Also, I did give 2 entries for the thread.

How about class that does spells, I don't mean spells like crystal storm in book form. But spells that are learned, found off enemies rarely. Some ideas could be "The Force" with a tooltip of "JUST....USE IT!!!" or "The Voice" with a tooltip of "FUS-ROH-DAH!!!". Other ideas are healing spells, lightning, flame, ice, or maybe even a sheild.

I would really love more elaborate house defence traps or traps in general in the game. Maybe endgame you can get the stone armor statue to defend your house when there is an invasion for a few gold, or an NPC that gets some of his friends to defend you for a price. Don't know why, but I've always kind of wanted a Tower Defence mechanism in the game or an RPG sense where if you don't defend your NPC's they'll move out and such, so a trap(s) class would really fit that kind of play style.

If there was a sixth class, I'm thinking that the Monk class/Unarmed damage type would be a good fit.

If Summoning is an offshoot of Magic, and Throwing an offshoot of Ranged, then this would be an offshoot of the Melee type. A lot of Unarmed attacks would focus more on mobility than tanking, with things like flying kicks and dashes being a part of the archetype.

Besides, martial arts is an area that isn't currently covered in the Terraria moveset.

Though it would be cool to see more Hardmode throwing weapons (you could move some stuff like Vampire Knives to Thrown damage, or implement dual-type damage. Items like the Fetid Baghnakhs could easily be made Unarmed/Melee hybrids.)

I was thinking of a necromancer type class a while back. It would seem a little like a hybrid between mages and summoners. It had a new resource gained by killing enemies (not an inventory item) that enhanced your attacks and minions but wasn't necessary for their use. Revived enemies have no limit but over time they decay and they have limited health. Your armor has enhancements to certain things like resurrection chance, revive damage, and so on.

Of course it would take a ton of work to make it anything good. I abandoned the idea a while back.
If limited to just thrown potions, sure, but I think there's enough there to make "Alchemist" a unique class if handled properly.

Just offhand, here are a few ideas for what the class' armor could potentially do:
  • Lengthen self-buffs from potions/flasks/food/etc. while worn
  • Improve the damage of fire/poison effects caused by the player's weaponry
  • Improve the duration or effectiveness of non-damaging effects caused by the player (Ichor, money drops, etc.)
  • Reduce (or entirely eliminate) the debuff from drinking a magic potion
  • Greatly increase the effects of potions while worn (Lifeforce Potion's life boost, Ironskin Potion's defense boost, etc.)
Essentially, the class could be geared more towards secondary effects, combat avoidance, and exploration than dealing damage outright. It doesn't even necessarily need its own damage type (though I understand that was what the topic was asking for :p).
That...that actually sounds awesome.

Hmm at this point I do not think any new "true" classes should be added rather the existing ones should be balanced further as as of now throwing is only supported prehardmode.

Rather I feel that hybrid is the way to go as so far there is only one hybrid set of armor with a very basic effect.
I have been thinking of an armor for a mage/melee hybrid that builds different buffs for each weapon type i.e. melee damage boosts magic damage and reduces spell cost where as dealing magic damage adds armor penetration and attack speed both of which relatively quickly decay over time forcing the player to alternate between the damage types to stay full effectiveness.
I was thinking of a necromancer type class a while back. It would seem a little like a hybrid between mages and summoners. It had a new resource gained by killing enemies (not an inventory item) that enhanced your attacks and minions but wasn't necessary for their use. Revived enemies have no limit but over time they decay and they have limited health. Your armor has enhancements to certain things like resurrection chance, revive damage, and so on.

Of course it would take a ton of work to make it anything good. I abandoned the idea a while back.
with a bit or reworking I could see a hybrid set based on that perhaps killing enemies with magic damage summons a spectral variant of that enemy that gets added as a minion temporarily? And maybe the minions could mana steal or something. I certainly see something there.

Back
Top Bottom