What's your most hated/useless NPC(s)?

I hate none of them, and would like to get all.

For the dislike one, I think the Angler, for his quote.

For the least visited ones, I guess the Painter, Nurse, Clother, Pirate Captain and the Santa Claus.

The Painter, Stylist, dye trader, and party girl All have only items that affect visual things.
The Party Girl does sell something useful.
The bubble is good for some structure (like honey arena), as it disallows liquid but allows player to pass.
The Confetti is quite useful for the Confetti Bullet, which is once the cheapest one.
And the Rockets could be used agianist the Destroyer (I didn't do so, but I know some players like this).

the one who seems to be the most useless is the Pirate Captain

I have heard that some players find the Cannon/Bunny Cannon useful againist the Mech Bosses (though I've never tried this yet).

I don't hate any of them, but the one I dislike the most is the Stylist, since I never really do anything with her. I never change my hairstyle once I've created my character, since it just looks weird without the typical style I use. In addition, I rarely use the Hair Dyes since they are all fairly distracting visual changes that just look weird with my character. I do really like the Biome Hair Dye, though.

Honestly, I'd have to say the Angler. Mainly because I don't fish EVERY DAY, so he's useless unless you fish every day.

I would agree with a other people with this. The Angler is the worst NPC I've encountered so far.

He's rude, impatient, selfish, and pretty heartless considering there's a likely chance his parents are the groom and the bride... He only mentions them once and acts like they didn't matter to him.

He always bothers me whenever I talk to him and his quests take FOREVER to do. So as punishment, I gave him the worst house I could make.

However, for the most useless, I'd put either the tavernkeep, the Pirate, or the Guide

(Btw, I researched the Angler beforehand)

Attachments

• 20210507_221134.jpg
    20210507_221134.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 66
For hate, it's got to be Angler. Why not give him a shop? Doing quests is worse than that.
Most useless, however, is the Cyborg. Apart from echo blocks and rockets, what is he for?

My most hated npc: none. I honestly don't hate any of them.
My most useless: either the tax collector, cyborg, truffle, or nurse. I just don't use these npcs often at all. Tax collector can help if I need some quick gold, but I don't find myself using the rest that much.

Probably angler and painter. Both take up valuable housing for useful npcs like the steampunker, who sells the clentaminator to destroy evils and the nurse who heals you (even though thats overpriced healing)

It's gotta be the guide, he doesn't function as a good tutorial and likes to open the door for fun early game, and I think it's great that this cryptid is forced to transform into a boss essential for game progression, that and he has the blandest personality. Every other NPC I enjoy, because I can infer a character from their dialogue, but the guide is just bland and almost useless. I love the angler, because he is a fun personality even if his quests are annoying and his attitude is poor, at least he makes me feel something unlike the guide.

I don't hate any NPC, but I have to say that after several years in their company, the one who seems to be the most useless is the Pirate Captain, though I love him so. Very poor inventory, I virtually never shop with him, save to complete my pet collection. I feel like every other NPC has more useful wares or services.
Wow! I know this is an old post but, since it's a special occasion and we're all sharing memories, I figured I'd give my two-cents here! Not sure exactly when it was implemented but, the Pirate Captain is & was quite the "defender"! I know there was a time when NPCs didn't fight back, but once they gained that ability, the Pirate Captain was almost-always specially placed in my Worlds (normally beside the Arms Dealer). ☝️😄

Also, he's quite the addition to have in a pre-Hardmode World, which is reasonably obtained via Treasure Map by World-hopping. With the Cannons he sells you, it's quite easy to farm the Pirate Invasion event for Gold & Goodies! It's certainly a niche way of looking at it, but hey... it's the lil' things about this game, right!?

Only contender might be Santa, but he is seasonal anyway, so I think it's more excusable.
Santa's presence is a present! Seriously though, you learn to appreciate this guy as a builder, because many of the Furniture Items he sells to you, really help with finer details, if you're going for a specific build... namely electronics! Those Christmas Lights & Trees came in super clutch when you wanted to decorate with something other than Seaweed Planters, but with the 1.4+ updates, the Trees aren't nearly as important.

Still... those Christmas Lights were tough to contend with, but with so many fundamental changes to the overall game, rarity isn't really an issue like it used to be back in the olden-days! 😅🤷‍♂️

Nurse. Crutch early on when learning the game, utterly useless house clog when you aren't. At least the other useless NPCs are somewhat forgivable by the fact that they don't show up almost immediately. The most use I get out of her is making my arms dealer happy, which isn't even much of a priority when I can get every pylon except the Underground one by just moving the golfer, zoologist, and painter between biomes together, and money is so exploitable that it gates literally nothing.

Also, Guide crafting interface is faster than the wiki because you'll always be crafting complex stuff at your base anyway, and you literally cannot progress without him in your world. This is straight up unavoidable. All of the other more useless NPCs show up late enough into the game that you'll have rooms to spare anyway.

stylist easily you get her and then don't talk to her ever
I could see painter and tax collector but they have there fans

stylist easily you get her and then don't talk to her ever
I could see painter and tax collector but they have there fans
Stylist actually has hairstyles you can't get on character creation, and some of her hair dyes make for good informational accessories (in particular the money one can actually be a sort of reminder to place down a piggy bank and quick stack into it when you're mining)

for example, you actually can get a beard that isn't ridiculously long on your character from her, which is not something character creation provides.

I can see that now and also maybe cyborg i have no need to buy a night vision helmet because i made a farm in the hollow for the rod of discord and I've gotten like 11 helmets

For most hated: the Angler. Just seeing him fills me with anger.
For most useless: the Tax Collecter and the Nurse. I never use either of them.

I can see that now and also maybe cyborg i have no need to buy a night vision helmet because i made a farm in the hollow for the rod of discord and I've gotten like 11 helmets
Can't fire explosive launchers without rockets.

Most hated: Painter- always moves in at the wrong time, forcing me to build more rooms.

Most useless: I’m not too sure, objectively the most useless NPCs are the Dye Trader and Stylist. Although I see myself using the Pirate Captain the least despite him having slightly more value.

The least *useful* NPC has to be Pirate in my opinion, even if he has reasonably strong attacks. The Stylist, Painter and Dye Trader all have important vanity or building benefits, which while not essential, are at least useful for something. I don’t think I’ve *ever* bought something from the Pirate, and I’ve been playing this game a while. The least they could do is make him sell golden furniture and some pirate drops, but of course. NPC defense isn’t really all that valuable imo when they’ll get overrun by any invasion enemies anyway, and it’s much easier to get an ocean pylon from Stylist and Dye Trader.

My least *favorite* NPC has to be the Zoologist. It has nothing to do with her being a “furry” (she’s not), but it has to do with the fact that her dialogue and personality is just straight up awful. It’s painful to read “yaaaass” and “staaahp”, it sounds forced, and as much as I hate this word, cringey. Her blood moon dialogue is even worse, I mean look at this:
F1E9426A-2CBC-46FD-9CC6-9F2395FF5056.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom