Which Type of Character do you prefer the most? (Softcore, Mediumcore, Hardcore)

What type of character do you use most frequently or like the most?

• Softcore

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • Mediumcore

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Hardcore

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

Aurora3500

🌳
Staff member
Sorry if a Thread like this exists already, I did not see anything similar when I used the Search Function.

The 3 Character Types offer different punishments for character deaths in the game. Up to Hardcore ultimately deleting your character for 1 Death. Here you'll discuss which type of character you prefer to use and why.

Personally I always use Softcore characters because I dislike losing all of my items when my character dies. It is one of the main things I disliked about Minecraft's Survival Mode which is why I've never used Mediumcore and up in Terraria. Naturally Hardcore characters are for if you want to experience the ultimate punishment for making even one small mistake that may/ may not have been in your control and I don't want to lose everything if I have the unfortunate luck of stepping on a well hidden explosive trap or get trapped by a group of enemies. Softcore Mode is the best mode for my characters because I don't have to worry about losing my items and focus more on exploring, fighting enemies, and getting more items which is the main reason I want to play Terraria and any game. I simply don't have the time I had when I was younger for Big Arcade Style games where you completely start over if you lose from the 1st World or something similar. Terraria is still a fairly difficult game with Softcore Characters and losing ones items with the risk of losing them to me just adds more unnecessary tedium.

Those are my thoughts. Now it's your turn.

Softcore.

I die too much to warrent playing Mediumcore, since it would become a pain retrieving my items constantly, and I am incredibly unlucky for some reason when I play a Hardcore character.

Mediumcore, with my experience I feel bad playing on softcore unless its a very almighty challenge/PvP. I also like to have/use backups and stuff so that I don't sell everything I get that could be usefull for retrieving my stuff. Although it does get annoying.

Softcore in most cases.
Sometimes Hardcore for a challenge

Mediumcore is just pure annoyance, can't imagine someone have fun trying to get their gear back with no movement items at all....

I definitely go with softcore, mostly because mediumcore is basically hardcore in some cases, and I'm not hardcore enough for hardcore.

Softcore, since money is an acceptable loss if I can't get back to where I died. Trying to get your gear back on Mediumcore without any real protection (I'm going to assume that most of the armors your have up to that point are not very protective) can be near impossible, especially during Hardmode. As for Hardcore, I don't feel like I'm good enough at the game to survive Hardcore.

Softcore. Walking all the way to get stuff is just annoying, especially if you have a second armor and you die once again. Now you have lost your main and alternative gear. Losing money is reasonable and playing Expert Mode is just annoying with another type of character.

I had ONCE a mediumcore character and it was the first char I had after the first game (it was on MP with friends). I got to Hardmode and I was exploring the cave systems (pretty deep) in search of Adamantite. I saw something, these were spider nets. I didn't want to go because there were spiders (I dunno if I knew they deal so much damage). I backtracked but for some reason I got stuck and died. All my stuff was gone and it was really frustrating.

I played Minecraft before Terraria and death was a similar penalty. When a player died, all items were dropped. It was annoying at times, especially when you were carrying diamond tier items, tons of ores and items.

Hardcore? Another thing similar to Minecraft. I played Hardcore on MC and went pretty far but the player has to be very careful. Terraria is different, it focuses more on combat. I think I'd go into Hardmode without deaths, but after... it might be a pain.

Always Softcore characters. The penalty for dying on a Mediumcore character is a little much for me, as you all know this game is very gear intensive. Would rather avoid the extra stress, and move on with what I was trying to do.

I can't even begin to fathom Mediumcore or Hardcore on Expert.

Inb4 Doylee is a filthy casual.

Softcore. For other difficulties, a small mistake for other difficult will ruin almost every thing, especially for the hardcore.

And I'm tending to made lots of mistakes (like forgetting to take healing potions or forgetting to switch back wings when using mount to fight a boss).

i've always played softcore but i dabbled around in hardcore a couple of times for laughs on streams.

i'm considering trying mediumcore sometime just due to how much of a compulsive hoarder i am.

Softcore. I don't like mediumcore because it makes the game somewhat linear in that it forces you to go back to where you died, which can be problematic if that place was in say, the Lihzahrd Temple, or if you're clearly not equipped (anymore) for that area. In Softcore, if you die and drop little or no coins (by abusing the Money Trough properly), you can actually decide to "screw it" and just go and do something else.

And I don't like Hardcore because you're extracting finite resources from your world, which you could potentially lose, therefore drying the world up (like in Half-Life 2, in which aliens try to kill you as well, so it's not such a far fetched comparison).

Softcore.
At least you can recover your gear a little faster in on Medium-core with Minecraft(you can farm iron, at least I hear that iron golem dropped it.)
For Hardcore: I did for few times until I realize that I wasn't hard core enough.

Even if,...
"Don't blame me if building suddenly collapse. Not me or you was in here, and in fact, there wasn't enough... clear, or I was chopping down trees." - Peasant.
Prefers Softcore, due to reason listened above (the true reason is Medcore is only acceptable on short runs OR PvP.)

I always play a Softcore character.
Really don't like the idea of losing my equipment and go after that again to get it back in mediumcore or losing my one life in hardcore.
I'm way to reckless for that. :dryadtongue:

In a normal world, Hardcore. As a tester I've spent so much time in Expert Mode that I feel I can no longer die in normal Terraria at this point. I have played Expert mode for such a long, long, long, long time. The difficulty of it just feels normal to me now. (Unless another rouge ball of slush lands on my head, that's my number one weakness and will infact deal 1,000,000,000,000,000 damage to me.0)

However in an Expert Mode world I play a softcore character. I know what to expect, and what to expect is death.

Back
Top Bottom