Why do my world and character backups not work?

Marcos Moutta

Plantera
So, these days I said to myself: I'm gonna try to kill a boss, and if I fail, I'll load a backup of my world and character so as not to lose my potions! So I went into "My games" and put everything in a zip file. After dying, I deleted the "My games" folder and dragged the backup out of the zip. IT DOESN'T WORK! SOMEHOW MY ITEMS WERE ALL STILL GONE! I obviously turned off cloud saving. What's going on? Does the game make backups somewhere else?

You are only restoring from zip after the game has completely exit right? (You should also only zip up the folders when the game is not running.)

BTW, you only need to zip up the Terraria folder in My Games, not the whole My Games folder.

It works fine for me.

I didn't close the game when I was making the backup, but I closed it when restoring it. I have no clue how closing it while zipping the worlds changes a thing, but I'll try and get back to you.

I don't think the game save it current state until you exit the world if autosave is off. Even if it's autosave is on ... it can't be good to be zipping things up when the world state might be updating.

I closed my game, backed everything up, logged in, changed all my gear, closed the game, deleted the my games folder, unzipped the backup and MY GEAR WAS STILL CHANGED.

I closed my game, backed everything up, logged in, changed all my gear, closed the game, deleted the my games folder, unzipped the backup and MY GEAR WAS STILL CHANGED.
You sure you got the right folder?

These folders/files are located by default in

• Windows: "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Terraria"

As an experiment, what happens if you start the game with the folder, you are backing up / restoring, deleted (or moved elsewhere).

Last edited:
here, what am I doing wrong?
Move those folders (don't copy), start the game, and tell us what you get.

Edit: Wait. At your character select screen, mouse over the little cloud icon.
cloud.png

I take it yours says "Move off cloud" instead, click it.

I think Steam is undoing your changes.

Last edited:
Move those folders (don't copy), start the game, and tell us what you get.

Edit: Wait. At your character select screen, mouse over the little cloud icon.
View attachment 278798
I take it yours says "Move off cloud" instead, click it.

I think Steam is undoing your changes.
In the video, you can clearly see that my character was on the cloud. Big oopsie of mine. Still, when I tried it for the first few times, I always made sure that my character had been moved off the cloud and it didn't work. And indeed, I never moved it to cloud again. Steam is indeed undoing my changes! Thanks man, I think I figured it out. Gonna get the rest of the achievements and do this with cracked terraria.
Again, thanks, you figured it out, it was steam! :)

Back
Top Bottom