PC Why I think NPC Unhappiness and how Pylons are locked are a HUGE mistake

Pylons make it easier to navigate around the world, not just NPCs.

Again, my idea is to use magic mirrors which are not a hardmode item. Just that you could also use a hardmode item.
Yeah but if you could just craft pylons out of pre-hardmode materials and not need any specific requirements to make them work, that would just make teleporters obsolete. Why would anyone go through the hassle of setting up a teleporter if they can just craft themselves a pylon and throw it down anywhere. Even if you can only place one per biome, you don't really need more than one per biome. Monster farm underground, jungle arena in the jungle, ocean arena in the ocean, etc. Pylons nudge players into being involved more in the world. I'm not telling you to use teleporters. NPC happiness just allows you to get items that act as teleporters but under certain conditions earlier on, if you don't want to bother with building more towns, there is no downside in playing like you used to.

Yeah but if you could just craft pylons out of pre-hardmode materials and not need any specific requirements to make them work, that would just make teleporters obsolete. Why would anyone go through the hassle of setting up a teleporter if they can just craft themselves a pylon and throw it down anywhere. Even if you can only place one per biome, you don't really need more than one per biome. Monster farm underground, jungle arena in the jungle, ocean arena in the ocean, etc. Pylons nudge players into being involved more in the world. I'm not telling you to use teleporters. NPC happiness just allows you to get items that act as teleporters but under certain conditions earlier on, if you don't want to bother with building more towns, there is no downside in playing like you used to.
There's the price penalty, and missing out on new content.

One per biome is the limit and some people would like to use more. Teleporters have plenty of uses in mob farms and using to teleport to several more destinations. A neat trick I've seen done is using a teleporter in front of a background that looks like a house, which teleports you elsewhere in the world to what's "inside" that house, making an illusion you went inside. There's a lot of uses for teleporters, and having free use of pylons with the limit of 1 per biome would not make teleporters useless.

Having pylons locked this way only leaves those who like their main central village or castle town missing out. You could create a palace for your NPCs made out of hundreds of various blocks, with seemingly decent amount of space between them, and you can still be penalized by cost and pylons locked away. While someone can set up simple boxes across the world and reap all the benefits- price discounts and the convenient power of pylons to easier access the world. Whether someone builds box homes or something more creative, both build styles should be just as accepting as Terraria's a sandbox game.

There is no reason to make players "more involved in the world" with this system because the game already does that- with progression. Without exploring the world, you do not progress. Without exploring the world, you won't get much more than dirt and wood to build with. Without exploring the world, you won't get these NPCs. The player is already "involved with the world."

The only thing that makes me a bit uncomfortable with the mechanic is just the price increase for my tendency to build things clumped together. I know that there's reward for doing things in a spread-out manner, but I like having things in one spot and it looks neat to me; I don't see why there needs to be an unnecessary price increase along with the already enticing reward with spreading out the NPCs. Since the mechanic is already heavily rewarded for spreading out, adding the price increase for clumping them together is just questionable, especially since that the only thing it does is increase the amount of time I may need to spend grinding money. That isn't exactly fun or difficult, it just adds to the tedium of the game because of a choice I made.

As for pylons, I don't particularly care if they're locked behind spreading houses out. I've lived without them for 7 years, so I don't see why I exactly need a fast travel system.

In total, I'll be entirely happy with the mechanic if price increases were reversed and it can only bring benefits to those that adhere to the mechanic. It'd make a lot of the community a lot happier, including myself.

There's the price penalty, and missing out on new content.

One per biome is the limit and some people would like to use more. Teleporters have plenty of uses in mob farms and using to teleport to several more destinations. A neat trick I've seen done is using a teleporter in front of a background that looks like a house, which teleports you elsewhere in the world to what's "inside" that house, making an illusion you went inside. There's a lot of uses for teleporters, and having free use of pylons with the limit of 1 per biome would not make teleporters useless.

Having pylons locked this way only leaves those who like their main central village or castle town missing out. You could create a palace for your NPCs made out of hundreds of various blocks, with seemingly decent amount of space between them, and you can still be penalized by cost and pylons locked away. While someone can set up simple boxes across the world and reap all the benefits- price discounts and the convenient power of pylons to easier access the world. Whether someone builds box homes or something more creative, both build styles should be just as accepting as Terraria's a sandbox game.

There is no reason to make players "more involved in the world" with this system because the game already does that- with progression. Without exploring the world, you do not progress. Without exploring the world, you won't get much more than dirt and wood to build with. Without exploring the world, you won't get these NPCs. The player is already "involved with the world."
I do admit, the price penalty isn't the greatest idea and it does punish players that want to build a traditional centre house, but you don't really miss out on new content without pylons.
I do still think that if you where able to craft pylons or use them without any requirements, they would just be pre-hardmode teleporters. Sure, you can use teleporters for fancy things like you use them for, but the ordinary player had a few teleporters to certain places in the world to travel faster. Since teleporters are only accessible much later in the game than pylons, the devs clearly didn't want you to be able to use them however you pleased.
And if someone wanted to build fancy buildings or wooden boxes, it doesn't matter. Pylons only let you fast travel through the world, and as sharkman said he lived without them for 7 years. Both build styles are accepted by Terraria, you can build fancy places in each biome and decorate your world fully, or just make a massive central tower. And you can build simple NPC prisons in spawn or spread them out. Just because a player doesn't want to put in effort into building fancy homes everywhere, it doesn't mean that simple boxes are being rewarded. I build fancy houses for my NPCs and got the benefits of the pylons.
As for the progression, you explore left then right and build a central tower and leave the world as it is. You dont need to explore the surface to unlock NPCs except for the angler and clothier and mechanic. Every other NPC comes after you overcome certain obstacle like killing a boss or getting some life crystal or killing the queen bee. The player isn't "involved in the world" by stripping it off of its materials and building in one place. On my world before 1.4, the corruption has taken 40% of the world and, because I just wasn't bothered to stop it, it spread that much. Pylons encourage players to protect world, aka. what the game is about. The hero protects the world from the evil bosses and corruption. The devs just wanted to add some narrative to the game.

I do admit, the price penalty isn't the greatest idea and it does punish players that want to build a traditional centre house, but you don't really miss out on new content without pylons.
I do still think that if you where able to craft pylons or use them without any requirements, they would just be pre-hardmode teleporters. Sure, you can use teleporters for fancy things like you use them for, but the ordinary player had a few teleporters to certain places in the world to travel faster. Since teleporters are only accessible much later in the game than pylons, the devs clearly didn't want you to be able to use them however you pleased.
And if someone wanted to build fancy buildings or wooden boxes, it doesn't matter. Pylons only let you fast travel through the world, and as sharkman said he lived without them for 7 years. Both build styles are accepted by Terraria, you can build fancy places in each biome and decorate your world fully, or just make a massive central tower. And you can build simple NPC prisons in spawn or spread them out. Just because a player doesn't want to put in effort into building fancy homes everywhere, it doesn't mean that simple boxes are being rewarded. I build fancy houses for my NPCs and got the benefits of the pylons.
As for the progression, you explore left then right and build a central tower and leave the world as it is. You dont need to explore the surface to unlock NPCs except for the angler and clothier and mechanic. Every other NPC comes after you overcome certain obstacle like killing a boss or getting some life crystal or killing the queen bee. The player isn't "involved in the world" by stripping it off of its materials and building in one place. On my world before 1.4, the corruption has taken 40% of the world and, because I just wasn't bothered to stop it, it spread that much. Pylons encourage players to protect world, aka. what the game is about. The hero protects the world from the evil bosses and corruption. The devs just wanted to add some narrative to the game.
But you have to explore the world to unlock the rest of the NPCs, still. How is exploring the world not being involved in it? Exploring various biomes, obtaining their loot, their blocks, adding to your bestiary.. how is this not being involved in the world?

I've been playing since week 1 or 2 so I've gone even longer without pylons, but I just don't see why those who spread out their NPCs get treated to easier access to their world, while literally hundreds of thousands of worlds, as well as those who still prefer to build villages/castles, are refused this very handy teleportation system?

Making them craftable would be something to look forward to. The recipe would involve items relating to that biome, so you'd have to explore it, and for a reward for exploring it, you'd gain easier access to it. I already went over how they'd differ from teleporters.

Pylons are incredibly useful.. keep seeing people acting like they're nothing. If they're nothing to those who spread out NPCs, how come the rest of us can't have them? I mean, if they're nothing, then why lock them like this?

But you have to explore the world to unlock the rest of the NPCs, still. How is exploring the world not being involved in it? Exploring various biomes, obtaining their loot, their blocks, adding to your bestiary.. how is this not being involved in the world?

I've been playing since week 1 or 2 so I've gone even longer without pylons, but I just don't see why those who spread out their NPCs get treated to easier access to their world, while literally hundreds of thousands of worlds, as well as those who still prefer to build villages/castles, are refused this very handy teleportation system?

Making them craftable would be something to look forward to. The recipe would involve items relating to that biome, so you'd have to explore it, and for a reward for exploring it, you'd gain easier access to it. I already went over how they'd differ from teleporters.

Pylons are incredibly useful.. keep seeing people acting like they're nothing. If they're nothing to those who spread out NPCs, how come the rest of us can't have them? I mean, if they're nothing, then why lock them like this?
Pylons aren't incredibly useful. They allow for fast travel from biome to biome and they aren't punishing players who don't build in other biomes. And you might say you're involved in the world when you explore it and gain it's loot, but you don't actually do anything in the biome. You go to the desert biome once to get some sand and get some starter gear at the start of the game and that's it. Pylons encourage players to actually use those biomes and make the world pretty. If you don't have NPCs in different biomes, then you only travel to those biomes to mine or fight a boss or something. Honestly, in the endgame I often forget to use the pylons because my flight is so fast. And the devs lock the pylons away, as I have said, because they are very similar to teleporters and they don't just want to make them too easy to use. Teleporters might still be used, but pylons would still be OP pre-hardmode teleporters. If you say you're involved in the world by exploring it, you should have no problem looking at the scenery as you walk through it.

Pylons aren't incredibly useful. They allow for fast travel from biome to biome and they aren't punishing players who don't build in other biomes. And you might say you're involved in the world when you explore it and gain it's loot, but you don't actually do anything in the biome. You go to the desert biome once to get some sand and get some starter gear at the start of the game and that's it. Pylons encourage players to actually use those biomes and make the world pretty. If you don't have NPCs in different biomes, then you only travel to those biomes to mine or fight a boss or something. Honestly, in the endgame I often forget to use the pylons because my flight is so fast. And the devs lock the pylons away, as I have said, because they are very similar to teleporters and they don't just want to make them too easy to use. Teleporters might still be used, but pylons would still be OP pre-hardmode teleporters. If you say you're involved in the world by exploring it, you should have no problem looking at the scenery as you walk through it.
That's not every player, though. Some people do build in other biomes, but they just prefer to build one main village at home. You're acting as if every who wants their NPCs in one large town or castle doesn't ever build elsewhere.. maybe for some, but as a whole, that's simply untrue.

The current requirement to unlock Pylons seems far simpler than my ideal way of unlocking them. The issue is currently, they're more limiting. ANYONE can build a box home anywhere and get NPCs in and get pylons. Pylons are EASY to get, but they are limiting on HOW they are acquired. I'd like them to be more accessible and more challenging to get.

I can be involved with the world by cutting down travel time. If you think teleportation makes you not involved, then I don't know why you're arguing current pylon system is being involved. You warp just as well. It's a system that rewards one time of NPC structure, and again, with how you act like pylons aren't a big deal.. I also don't know why you're saying they'd be overpowered. You claim they're "not incredibly useful," but would be "overpowered".. I'm not getting it.

The thing is, pylons are very useful: The only setup they need is 2 NPCs near each other; and are only anywhere near expensive early on. For this, you get a fast-travel network comparable to Teleporters but available much earlier on and with much less time-consuming efforts to build, as well as being much cheaper because you can easily find materials to build houses anywhere. On top of this, the conditions to get them to be sold also imply that at least one, if not both NPCs, will offer you a discount and give you more money if you sell items to them; so you even get a way to offload useless, but pricey stuff such as rare drops that are duplicate.

I love the pylons. I used to make elaborate networks of teleporters to get around my worlds, but this changes the way I see the game and interact with the NPC's...

In my opinion, you can still build a huge central house and pay a very small premium on store items (which I generally only buy once in a while), and move your NPC's briefly to their happy vacation homes when you really need the discount or the pylon network. This gives a lot of flexibility that hasn't really been discussed in this thread.

I agree that happiness should only reward the player who following the new rules, but not punish them by any mean.

Pylons lock is okay for me. I use to live without them for so long. It also didn't punish anyone who didn't try the new rules too. Just extra reward. You may miss it, but try to get them just for decoration is not much hard. I don't know... If I don't like it, I just ... don't care. Like the slime stuff. You can kick some npc out for those biome to activate it. I always think that 24+ npcs is too much for single base. So I didn't have much problem with Pylons.

//----------------------

Speak about usefulness, Pylons are good addition for me. I usually drop teleporter to every major farm / PoI like Jungle, Dungeon, Cavern fishing spot and Ocean yadayada.

Having Pylons mean I can teleport to major biome before mech boss down without spend a platinum on wire... and save me some headache during wiring long distance. Greatly cut the traveling time and go right to where business waiting. It's may not work best and has lot of limit, but for me its work wonder. I just throw npc that didn't have much use to those mini prison, sadly sometime those are popular npcs too. The main base still have 10+ npcs crawling around cursing me all day long and charge me extra buck for saving their live.

So... the idea of "lively world" which dev try real hard to force us is negative for me, its just prison everywhere instead.... I feel like this is even worse in term of lively........... I think I should try making real prison/cage next time I play with my friend.

yeah.. this happened to me on my 1.4 playthrough. Corruption slashed through my underground homes- generated right over them. At least they're just boxes, but it'd be frustrating had I spent a lot of time designing them.

The game actively encourages something that can easily lead to frustration and disappointment- not just with corruption taking over, but meteorites too. Hardmode stripes and meteors never hit the middle of the map, so that's where it's best to build, but the game doesn't want that. We're being encouraged to build further away, but the game also discourages that too.
Meteors don't land within 35 tiles of an npc or chest. They also won't land if there's a certain amount of meteorite ore above surface level.

That's not every player, though. Some people do build in other biomes, but they just prefer to build one main village at home. You're acting as if every who wants their NPCs in one large town or castle doesn't ever build elsewhere.. maybe for some, but as a whole, that's simply untrue.

The current requirement to unlock Pylons seems far simpler than my ideal way of unlocking them. The issue is currently, they're more limiting. ANYONE can build a box home anywhere and get NPCs in and get pylons. Pylons are EASY to get, but they are limiting on HOW they are acquired. I'd like them to be more accessible and more challenging to get.

I can be involved with the world by cutting down travel time. If you think teleportation makes you not involved, then I don't know why you're arguing current pylon system is being involved. You warp just as well. It's a system that rewards one time of NPC structure, and again, with how you act like pylons aren't a big deal.. I also don't know why you're saying they'd be overpowered. You claim they're "not incredibly useful," but would be "overpowered".. I'm not getting it.
They are very useful, but not incredible and perfect like you portray them. I had to try so many NPC combinations to get the mushroom biome pylon early game. And instant travel between biomes wasn't an option for so long until now I don't see why you're complaining so much. As you said yourself, anyone can build a box home anywhere and get NPCs in and get pylons. You can still build big towers and have everything in the middle of the world, but to get pylons you just need to spread out your NPCs, it's a fair trade. NPCs in certain biomes for instant teleportation. I don't see what you're trying to argue too. Do you want to keep your NPCs in one spot? Do you just want pylons to act as pre-hardmode teleporters?

And this system does reward one type of NPC structure, but it doesn't punish the other (except raised prices of course which I don't like anyway). It's like saying the game rewards the melee class. After all it has the strongest weapon and armour in the game. But it doesn't, the players decide what playstyle the choose, and you can play any class (except summoner, it's still underpowered). If you go melee: Great! You're way less likely to die and you can kill anything the fastest! If you go mage: Great! You have to spend materials on mana potions and you're still pretty fragile, but you have flashy attacks! The point is, the game lets you choose how you play. You can build one central build: Great! you have everything together, but you have to get around on foot. You can have your NPCs spread out: Great! You can teleport around but you have to take more time to teleport around to buy from NPCs.

They are very useful, but not incredible and perfect like you portray them. I had to try so many NPC combinations to get the mushroom biome pylon early game. And instant travel between biomes wasn't an option for so long until now I don't see why you're complaining so much. As you said yourself, anyone can build a box home anywhere and get NPCs in and get pylons. You can still build big towers and have everything in the middle of the world, but to get pylons you just need to spread out your NPCs, it's a fair trade. NPCs in certain biomes for instant teleportation. I don't see what you're trying to argue too. Do you want to keep your NPCs in one spot? Do you just want pylons to act as pre-hardmode teleporters?

And this system does reward one type of NPC structure, but it doesn't punish the other (except raised prices of course which I don't like anyway). It's like saying the game rewards the melee class. After all it has the strongest weapon and armour in the game. But it doesn't, the players decide what playstyle the choose, and you can play any class (except summoner, it's still underpowered). If you go melee: Great! You're way less likely to die and you can kill anything the fastest! If you go mage: Great! You have to spend materials on mana potions and you're still pretty fragile, but you have flashy attacks! The point is, the game lets you choose how you play. You can build one central build: Great! you have everything together, but you have to get around on foot. You can have your NPCs spread out: Great! You can teleport around but you have to take more time to teleport around to buy from NPCs.
The thing is, spreading the NPCs out gives instant travel, which is something you otherwise only have after the Mech bosses and with much more setup, so, in practice, not keeping them in the same place is "punished" through denial of what is a great time saver, specially in larger worlds (After all, where before you had to take a few minutes going to, say, the Jungle or the Underground Snow biome, now you can put, respectively, the Dryad and Painter; and the Goblin Tinkerer and Mechanic there and from then on, going to either place is nearly instant), so, in practice, clustering is punished both through the high prices and by needing more time to travel around the world.

Your comparison doesn't really work since there are upsides and downsides to different class types. There is no upside at all to building a main central village. Like TMB50 said, you get punished in the form of price hike and being required to spend more time reaching where you want to go. Just because we've gone without them before doesn't mean you can just dismiss the convenience so easily- it's a major time saver and it encourages just one way of building, when Terraria should welcome all types of builds. When you encourage one way of building and discourage other ways, that's one way to take creativity out of the game.

I don't know why people act like pylons aren't that useful, but say that making them harder to get for the trade-off of more accessibility makes them overpowered. The only biome that requires a bit of set-up is the mushroom biome, but besides that, anyone can plant a couple boxes down and that unlocks pylons for them. They are so easy to unlock, but they put a limit on build style. I just want to uplift the restriction on building, and in turn, make them require some effort to unlock. If anything, they're "overpowered" now. Too easy to get, and with another downside of one way of building as if that was a trade-off, but really they are both negative things.

Your comparison doesn't really work since there are upsides and downsides to different class types. There is no upside at all to building a main central village. Like TMB50 said, you get punished in the form of price hike and being required to spend more time reaching where you want to go. Just because we've gone without them before doesn't mean you can just dismiss the convenience so easily- it's a major time saver and it encourages just one way of building, when Terraria should welcome all types of builds. When you encourage one way of building and discourage other ways, that's one way to take creativity out of the game.

I don't know why people act like pylons aren't that useful, but say that making them harder to get for the trade-off of more accessibility makes them overpowered. The only biome that requires a bit of set-up is the mushroom biome, but besides that, anyone can plant a couple boxes down and that unlocks pylons for them. They are so easy to unlock, but they put a limit on build style. I just want to uplift the restriction on building, and in turn, make them require some effort to unlock. If anything, they're "overpowered" now. Too easy to get, and with another downside of one way of building as if that was a trade-off, but really they are both negative things.
Alright, you might see things that way, but I doubt that the devs will change it. It's one of the main mechanics introduced in 1.4. And you keep saying it discourages players from building a main central village but I don't see how it does. players can still technically put most their things at spawn and build big central villages and they can build small huts in other biomes just to have teleportation. Or you could build many villages in many biomes. building styles can be applied anywhere. Do you mean that you want NPCs to be all in one spot or what, I just don't see how pylons are being locked away to players who build big central houses if NPCs aren't the case.

Alright, you might see things that way, but I doubt that the devs will change it. It's one of the main mechanics introduced in 1.4. And you keep saying it discourages players from building a main central village but I don't see how it does. players can still technically put most their things at spawn and build big central villages and they can build small huts in other biomes just to have teleportation. Or you could build many villages in many biomes. building styles can be applied anywhere. Do you mean that you want NPCs to be all in one spot or what, I just don't see how pylons are being locked away to players who build big central houses if NPCs aren't the case.
You'll need to scatter your NPCs out for that, though. Just don't see why this is locked behind one way of building.. nothing else in the game you can earn/unlock is based on build preference other than NPCs selling certain items in certain biomes, and that's already kind of not fun having to do, since it's more of a hassle, and with pylon lock, a build restriction. Having them craftable and more accessible would include everyone- those who like to spread NPCs out and those who do not.

I absolutely love them. Building a giant, central NPC housing solution was one massive, daunting job that had no explicit payoffs to me.....it was just a chore. It had to be done so the NPC's could spawn and be available.

Now it's less of a chore because I'm excited and happy to build a ridiculously useful Pylon Network. It's a series of much smaller jobs I can do as I go along so the building isn't an arduous slog, and more of an interesting diversion that doesn't require quarrying for materials - I can do a three NPC housing project mostly with what I ended up with since the last project.

I'm also happy to make the NPC's happy. I like plopping down the snow house for the mechanic, who loves snow, and putting in the goblin, who loves the mechanic. The guide and merchant like the forest, which is good, because they're gonna be living with me in my middle map primary. And the zoologist is my favourite so it's lucky she likes it too.

Dwarf goes underground, obviously, and is served by a Tavernkeep happy to man a bar for him.

I love the pylons. I used to make elaborate networks of teleporters to get around my worlds, but this changes the way I see the game and interact with the NPC's...

In my opinion, you can still build a huge central house and pay a very small premium on store items (which I generally only buy once in a while), and move your NPC's briefly to their happy vacation homes when you really need the discount or the pylon network. This gives a lot of flexibility that hasn't really been discussed in this thread.
The only issue I see with this is the pylons. In order to use them, you need at least 2 NPCs to be there already. So then u gotta go all the way to the biome to move the NPCs in to then get the cheaper prices which at that point is just extremely tedious and unnecessary.

I only see one thing that is super bad, the increased prices... I just think it’s stupid, as people are already motivated to treat NPCs good because of the decreased prices and pylons, so I don’t understand why people should have to be punished to promote something that already was well promoted. It just ruins everything and is one of the big things to stop people from building towns close to each other like a hotel or laboratory living quarters.

Seen a few people taking about the price penalty.

I'm not sure of what would be a better phrase but "price penalty" maybe doesn't adequately cover what's going on.

Both buy AND sell prices are affected. It's a price hike and a sell penalty. You buy things for more and sell things for less without optimizing NPC happiness. This can be a huge difference in your in game bank account.

Back
Top Bottom