Why is this house invalid?

If you use the housing query on the house, what does it say?

Other things to try:
  • Make sure there is no Corruption / Crimson near the house.
  • Place the chair on a solid block instead of a platform.
  • Wiki says it must be 10 tiles high excluding ceiling/floor if it's 3 tiles wide. Difficult to tell from the screenshot if it meets the 10 tile requirement.
  • Replace the workbench, chair and candelabra with a different one. (This will show if there's a bug with any furniture items.)

Took me a while to find the housing query as well. :)

(I'm explaining this from memory; hope I get it right!)
  1. Bring up your inventory
  2. Just above the accessories is a little house icon - click that
  3. The accessories should change to a list of NPC icons
  4. Click the '?' icon - this will change the cursor
  5. Click inside the house
The tool tells you if the house is suitable or not. If it's not suitable, it may provide some more information like "Missing a chair" or "Housing is corrupted" -- that'll tell you what the issue with the house is. If it says "This is not valid housing", then we'll have to check each bit manually.

It just says the house is invalid.
Tried with wood chair and workbench and a regular torch,
also counted the blocks there's 11 on the inside, 13 total on height.
Tried with the chair on a solid block too.

It is not near corruption/crimson.

The housing is too small and too thin, having a door open will cause the house to remain invalid.
Therefore, the inside of a house should be at least 60 blocks, not counting the blocks to make the edges

The housing is too small and too thin, having a door open will cause the house to remain invalid.
Therefore, the inside of a house should be at least 60 blocks, not counting the blocks to make the edges
Actually, the edges do count for the 60 block minimum. I am not sure why your house is not working, but I would suggest making some modifications to try and fix it.

Tested this and the problem seem to be the doors. With the doors removed and the floor replaced with platforms, save for the middle block, it is valid. It seems like it could be an actual bug, since it should be valid in my books.
It also becomes valid if there is a three block high alcove instead of one door, closed by a wall.
Edit: If the inside is 4 blocks wide, it is invalid with a door and valid with platforms instead of the door as well... when it's 3 wide, it is invalid in both cases.
If both doors are replaced with platforms, it becomes suitable as well at 3 blocks wide.
Very strange.:confused:

Last edited:
It just says the house is invalid.
Tried with wood chair and workbench and a regular torch,
also counted the blocks there's 11 on the inside, 13 total on height.
Tried with the chair on a solid block too.

It is not near corruption/crimson.
Bring chairs down to the ground, replace doors with 3platforms. This will fix it.

Back
Top Bottom