Weapons & Equip why the last prism should not be nerfed

baconpancakes9

Skeletron Prime
a lot of people are saying the last prism is overpowered. too much damage, etc... what i'm saying is that: its a drop from the final boss. after that, it is no real in-game use in terms of progress, but is very fun. it is meant to be OP as heck because the player has already finished the game. the phantasm, is a diff story. they nerfed it because it is pre-moon lord. if they are to nerf it, here some ideas, at least.

-higher mana cost. it already chews up 200 mana in seconds, why not make it faster?

-lower crit chance. it gets a crazy amount of hits every second, lower crit chance would lower dps a bit

-takes longer to merge. this means it would take much longer for all the beams to merge into one.

thats all i have!

Do not make it eat up more mana, and make the nebula blaze actually useful and make the nebula arcanum actually fast enough to do anything at all, I mean come on they are end game items, they should be good!

I think the main problem is that it is astonishingly overpowered in PvP, because its unfocused beams deal ridiculous damage over extreme distances at a very high rate. It beats even Star Wrath. Other than that, it is OK.

Last edited:
I think the main problem is that it is astonishingly overpowered in PvP, because its unfocused beams deal ridiculous damage over extreme distances at a very high rate. It beats even Star Wrath. Other than that, it is OK.

Good thing the devs aren't too worried about balancing PVP :p I'd hate for items to be nerfed, due to them instagibbing player characters when they are made to fight bosses.

When people talk about Overpowered there 99% of the time talking about PVP...like if PVP really matters in Terraria. Pvp should be taken with a grain of salt as its not a competitive thing..its a just-for-fun thing and not to be taken seriously.

Terraria is a Exploration game not a Rage cause someone has a Weapon that can Delete them in less then a second game.

In my opinion, PvP is quite a major part of the endgame. After exploring everything, there are only three things for me to do: talk, build and fight. Building is not my kind, so fighting is the only thing that keeps my interest when I am done exploring, and some chat with players in addition.

I am not in any way stating that Terraria's SP is boring in the first place. No, it is actually very interesting when I complete it for a first or second time, and it keeps being playable afterwards, but there is a point when I want some quick, exciting action, and player versus player combat absolutely fulfills the demand. Is just so excellent that I spent some 700-800 hours in it. It is very dynamic and makes people quickly think their own strategies depending on so many factors like map, weapons and armor they and their opponents are using etc. Not so possible in single player mode, since pretty much everything is patterned, though not strictly.

I am going to be hated for this post, but underappreciating PvP would be a mistake. Sigh… if only there was a way to make weapons behave differently in PvP and PvE. That would solve just everything regarding overpoweredness. Surely, weapons like Last Prism can simply be banned from use on servers, but it is somewhat sad that so interesting equipment like this gets frowned upon only because it works incorrectly in PvP. When everything is fine, except just the damage against players…

It is just my opinion, though. And I know that I am not in the majority of Terraria players, so many, many will disagree with me. That's totally fine.

Last edited:
In my opinion, PvP is quite a major part of the endgame. After exploring everything, there are only three things for me to do: talk, build and fight. Building is not my kind, so fighting is the only thing that keeps my interest when I am done exploring, and some chat with players in addition.

I am not in any way stating that Terraria's SP is boring in the first place. No, it is actually very interesting when I complete it for a first or second time, and it keeps being playable afterwards, but there is a point when I want some quick, exciting action, and player versus player combat absolutely fulfills the demand. Is just so excellent that I spent some 700-800 hours in it. It is very dynamic and makes people quickly think their own strategies depending on so many factors like map, weapons and armor they and their opponents are using etc. Not so possible in single player mode, since pretty much everything is patterned, though not strictly.

I am going to be hated for this post, but underappreciating PvP would be a mistake. Sigh… if only there was a way to make weapons behave differently in PvP and PvE. That would solve just everything regarding overpoweredness. Surely, weapons like Last Prism can simply be banned from use on servers, but it is somewhat sad that so interesting equipment like this gets frowned upon only because it works incorrectly in PvP. When everything is fine, except just the damage against players…

It is just my opinion, though. And I know that I am not in the majority of Terraria players, so many, many will disagree with me. That's totally fine.

Underappreciating PVP hasn't been a mistake so far, they added it and have made very few tweaks. It's just sort of there. The players make PvP what it is.

Even if they made it work differently in PVP the only way to fix the Last Prism so it would be balanced (for PVP) is to nuke it's damage to worthlessness or make it not the Last Prism anymore. It wouldn't be enough to slightly tweak it's damage, because it hits a rather wide and long cone.

Underappreciating PVP hasn't been a mistake so far, they added it and have made very few tweaks. It's just sort of there. The players make PvP what it is.

Even if they made it work differently in PVP the only way to fix the Last Prism so it would be balanced (for PVP) is to nuke it's damage to worthlessness or make it not the Last Prism anymore. It wouldn't be enough to slightly tweak it's damage, because it hits a rather wide and long cone.
Lowering the unfocused beams' damage to negligible whilst retaining power of merged one will do it I think, since only this cone-of-death is an overkill while fully focused beam is although very powerful, but is somewhat uneasy to use.
Again, applying this tweak only in PvP, not touching the PvE.

Not going to argue about the role of player combat, since everyone has their own priority regarding it.

Lowering the unfocused beams' damage to negligible whilst retaining power of merged one will do it I think, since only this cone-of-death is an overkill while fully focused beam is although very powerful, but is somewhat uneasy to use.
Again, applying this tweak only in PvP, not touching the PvE.

Not going to argue about the role of player combat, since everyone has their own priority regarding it.

Okay, then that leaves the person using the Last Prism wide open for several seconds using a weapon that everyone will notice and probably instagib them before it can focus. Because it's no where near the only weapon that can slaughter a squishy player character within seconds.

Edit: Balancing PVP would require pretty much an entire overhaul of the entire game, and the majority of players would rather they work on PVE. Arguing about PVP balance is essentially pointless, because this game wasn't built for it and it was added as a fun side thing.

Okay, then that leaves the person using the Last Prism wide open for several seconds using a weapon that everyone will notice and probably instagib them before it can focus. Because it's no where near the only weapon that can slaughter a squishy player character within seconds.
Don't forget about its extreme range: you can kill or at least seriously harm an opponent without actually seeing them and doing so with merged beam.
Also, this is what will make it an even more interesting weapon: if nobody notices the focusing process or doesn't respond in time, they are all screwed and doomed to die. If they do, however, the wielder of prism is screwed and doomed instead.
A weapon of chance will it become. There aren't many in the game, if there even are any. It would be a nice addition.

There is also no need for an overhaul, since the prism (and somewhat uninteresting coin gun) is the only overpowered item in the whole game, at least for PvP purposes.

Last edited:
Don't forget about its extreme range: you can kill or at least seriously harm an opponent without actually seeing them and doing so with merged beam.
Also, this is what will make it an even more interesting weapon: if nobody notices the focusing process or doesn't respond in time, they are all screwed and doomed to die. If they do, however, the wielder of prism is screwed and doomed instead.
A weapon of chance will it become. There aren't many in the game, if there even are any. It would be a nice addition.

There is also no need for an overhaul, since the prism (and somewhat uninteresting coin gun) is the only overpowered item in the whole game.

Right, meanwhile I'll just ignore the fact that end game weapons range 6-15k DPS and players have a cap of 600 life and like 60(?) tops damage reduction.

Edit: Does homing not work on players? Because any chlorophyte ammo plus any new ranged weapon would work even better than a nerfed Last Prism.

Right, meanwhile I'll just ignore the fact that end game weapons range 6-15k DPS and players have a cap of 600 life and like 60(?) tops damage reduction.

Edit: Does homing not work on players? Because chlorophyte plus any new ranged weapon would work even better than a nerfed Last Prism.
I know it might sound like there are a lot of weapons that utterly shatter the balance of PvP, but oddly enough, there actually are none. DPS values are only correct for PvE purposes, and in PvP, they don't usually exceed 400, even if the weapon dealt like 5k damage per second in PvE… on a single target.
I cannot explain why is it that way, but it just is. Balance is there. Fragile, but working balance.

Homing doesn't work against players.

Unless weapons deal less damage to players, their DPS doesn't change. Well, it does lower slightly, due to the slight invul time given to players in PVP ( 0.13 seconds as opposed to 0.66 without cross necklace.) But, even a tenth of the weakest end game weapon is enough to kill a player in around a second. Meowmere can one shot you.

Unless weapons deal less damage to players, their DPS doesn't change. Well, it does lower slightly, due to the slight invul time given to players in PVP ( 0.13 seconds as opposed to 0.66 without cross necklace.) But, even a tenth of the weakest end game weapon is enough to kill a player in around a second. Meowmere can one shot you.
Skilled players can evade projectiles, unlike mobs. Probably, this is the reason why PvP between experienced players is not one huge slaughterhouse.
And that's not a pure theory – I already had some battles with players of my skill using the top tier equipment. And it wasn't so bad, actually, just faster than it used to be in 1.2.4.1, and more exciting.

Skilled players can evade projectiles, unlike mobs. Probably, this is the reason why PvP between experienced players is not one huge slaughterhouse.
And that's not a pure theory – I already had some battles with players of my skill using the top tier equipment. And it wasn't so bad, actually, just faster than it used to be in 1.2.4.1, and more exciting.

Skilled players can still make mistakes, mistakes that result in death after one hit aren't very fun and/or balanced.
Skilled players can potentially read opponents resulting in dodging not mattering.

Neither of these scenarios result in much fun, in my opinion, for the person being one shotted.

Sniper Rifle with Vortex Armor, stealthed, and Luminite Bullets. (Base hit damage exceeds 600. I can insta-kill a player who has 500HP and <150 defense)
Enuff said. I've instagibbed enough players with this setup that Last Prism is basically irrelevant at this point. Someone who's behind a wall and/or can't see you can't kill you with the Last Prism. Lunar Flare, however, is a completely different story...
It could also be argued that the crazy explosion radius of the Celebration is OP in PvP situations. Lots of endgame weapons can be called OP in PvP. As others have already mentioned, but when people don't fight cheaply, PvP is fun and exciting. If you hate fighting people who use the Last Prism so much, ask them politely not to use such a weapon. I'd switch to the Lunar Flare in a heartbeat if someone wanted me to.
Honestly speaking, I feel like the melee class is the only class with a disadvantage in PvP. The Meowmere is deadly in closed spaces and the Star Wrath is deadly in open spaces, but the fact remains that they have less range and variety than the other two direct damage classes. Summoner doesn't count, because summoner isn't really even viable in PvP at all.

Yep ill have to Strongly disagree as PVP holds no merit to endgame...if anything the endgame is ment to make things in expert mode easier after you finished the final boss in normal mode. There is NO importance in pvp.

I don't understand the mindset to final boss drops being overpowered. Since they drop from the final boss, that means they are postgame. there is nothing left for them to be balanced for. i think the end game weapons are fine how they are being significantly powerful compared to the weapons you got 15 minutes ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom