Why the Summoner class is terrible

So that when they die, you have to re-summon them to life? That would make things a bit more interesting, yeah.
I think better will be, instead of resummoning minion after getting aggroed for too long it goes to damaged stage where it is close to character and cant attack, it would be indicated with debuff. And I think developers should add ability to fucus full on one entity (like mob or player) chosen by the summoner.

I think better will be, instead of resummoning minion after getting aggroed for too long it goes to damaged stage where it is close to character and cant attack, it would be indicated with debuff. And I think developers should add ability to fucus full on one entity (like mob or player) chosen by the summoner.
That would kinda just mean a nerf. What I'm looking for is more interactivity.

Pure Summoner is masochistic and why would you ever do it oh my god.
Even when I have the Stardust armor on me, I equip a Ranger/Warrior/Sorcerer Emblem and a Sniper Scope/Mech Glove/Celestial Cuffs along with an actual weapon.

Unlike other "classes", you can't just go Summoner. You need to use other weapons.
Your minions are there only for assistance, they are not and should not be your only source of damage.

Well i`m at this moment playing terraria on summoner playthrough on my private server, i today nearly survived on mechanical bosses becaose of putrid scent so my friend got aggroed. and i`m really lacking on ability to fight efficently with these stupid 4 pairs of twins (summons), i mean when i want to farm in caves those derps always go stuck on natural platforms. so i want to add focus ability. but i think they should at least give some ability to minions to suck up dmg. maybe instead of losing its attack ability, they could just lose its ability to being targeted.

And by meaning being aggroed i mean they can be attacked for hp worth for like 40% of summoner per minion and de-buff is for 7-13 sec or so. Everyone should remember that summoners use not only pure summons, but other weapons too.

I think I had this discussion elsewhere. The reason summoners don't get great armor and wikkid DeePS is because of the nature of their combat. Instead of engaging the enemy, you're supposed to avoid them entirely, while your summons do all the work of combat. Counterintuitive, yes, and not very liberating for the Dovahkin crowd, but then if it's not for you it's not for you.

With the summoner completely (as much as possible) out of combat, their damage load is greatly lightened, and they no longer have to race the enemy to 0hp. Thus they can sit back in safety and let the minions whittle the enemy down to a toothpick. Hence no need for high DPS or armor. Anyone that's finding they can't manage to keep from charging straight into the enemy, or can't get their summons to hit them, simply needs to adjust to the summoner playstyle.

I also saw it suggested that you should try to back up your summons' damage with ichor (not many enemies can shrug off losing 20 defense), as well as indirect damage such as nimbus rod, land mines, starfury, bee gun, basically anything you can throw around a corner and down the hall, which is where a summoner should be for all fights.
A lot of this is a little contradictory to the way many people play Terraria but I personally wish each of the other combat styles were as different from the others as Summoner is from them.

I think I had this discussion elsewhere. The reason summoners don't get great armor and wikkid DeePS is because of the nature of their combat. Instead of engaging the enemy, you're supposed to avoid them entirely, while your summons do all the work of combat. Counterintuitive, yes, and not very liberating for the Dovahkin crowd, but then if it's not for you it's not for you.

With the summoner completely (as much as possible) out of combat, their damage load is greatly lightened, and they no longer have to race the enemy to 0hp. Thus they can sit back in safety and let the minions whittle the enemy down to a toothpick. Hence no need for high DPS or armor. Anyone that's finding they can't manage to keep from charging straight into the enemy, or can't get their summons to hit them, simply needs to adjust to the summoner playstyle.

I also saw it suggested that you should try to back up your summons' damage with ichor (not many enemies can shrug off losing 20 defense), as well as indirect damage such as nimbus rod, land mines, starfury, bee gun, basically anything you can throw around a corner and down the hall, which is where a summoner should be for all fights.
A lot of this is a little contradictory to the way many people play Terraria but I personally wish each of the other combat styles were as different from the others as Summoner is from them.
With combat style you may be wrong, cuz i play as summoner and i am in middle of the combat dodging projectiles and casting life drain every time i enter boss battle or cave. also if it is useful i use chlorophyte claymore because of its middle-range projectile.

Uh... I think you're missing the point of this thread. I actually sorta like summoner combat; it's more how it interacts with the game that bugs me.

With combat style you may be wrong, cuz i play as summoner and i am in middle of the combat dodging projectiles and casting life drain every time i enter boss battle or cave. also if it is useful i use chlorophyte claymore because of its middle-range projectile.

Life drain only comes into play once the spectre armor and/or Vampire Knives are available to the player, so only in the third stage of the game. That said, if you're wearing the spectre armor, you're probably not playing a summoner-dedicated character.

Uh... I think you're missing the point of this thread. I actually sorta like summoner combat; it's more how it interacts with the game that bugs me.
I agree the progression can be a bit...jerky? Patchy? But I contend that given the unique nature of summoner combat that, and many of the problems other have with it are really diminished.

I agree the progression can be a bit...jerky? Patchy? But I contend that given the unique nature of summoner combat that, and many of the problems other have with it are really diminished.
I agree with you that it's fun and interesting to play summoner, but only during combat. You play one way, and you only get that one way, since your minions all behave the same way; play enough of it, and it's no longer entertaining.

Life drain only comes into play once the spectre armor and/or Vampire Knives are available to the player, so only in the third stage of the game. That said, if you're wearing the spectre armor, you're probably not playing a summoner-dedicated character.

i use life drain staff because of its multi enemy attacks, and at the moment i have spider armor with some +10 def from accesories.

I agree with you that it's fun and interesting to play summoner, but only during combat. You play one way, and you only get that one way, since your minions all behave the same way; play enough of it, and it's no longer entertaining.

But minions have a great variety if different behaviors! Imps hover at a strict formation shooting things, while spiders latch on and gnaw the enemy. The Pirate charges back and forth through enemies, but the slime hops around on top of them. Pygmies stand just in range and throw spears, repositioning when the enemy gets too far. That's just a few. It's part of skill in playing a summoner to know which of these behaviours will work best in any given situation.

But minions have a great variety if different behaviors! Imps hover at a strict formation shooting things, while spiders latch on and gnaw the enemy. The Pirate charges back and forth through enemies, but the slime hops around on top of them. Pygmies stand just in range and throw spears, repositioning when the enemy gets too far. That's just a few. It's part of skill in playing a summoner to know which of these behaviours will work best in any given situation.
And you'll have one, maybe two, available at any given time. Even if you want to chip away at their health while playing evasively, you still only have a few appropriately tiered minions.

Pure Summoner is masochistic and why would you ever do it oh my god.
Even when I have the Stardust armor on me, I equip a Ranger/Warrior/Sorcerer Emblem and a Sniper Scope/Mech Glove/Celestial Cuffs along with an actual weapon.
Ironically that pretty much IS pure summoner, or at least the only way to validly play it at least.

If you're going all summoner accessories the only way to do it is to have friends of other class types to hang out with. PURE pure summoner is a multiplayer class only.

I don't think Summoner is terrible. While it doesn't have as many armor options I think it does quite well for itself offensively, especially when using more utility magic like turrets and Clinger Staff's wall (which is incredibly useful and hope the future has an upgraded version of this. Definitely helps with crowd control).

I wouldn't be surprised if 1.3.1 fleshes Summoner and Throw styles out more though.

I don't think Summoner is terrible. While it doesn't have as many armor options I think it does quite well for itself offensively, especially when using more utility magic like turrets and Clinger Staff's wall (which is incredibly useful and hope the future has an upgraded version of this. Definitely helps with crowd control).

I wouldn't be surprised if 1.3.1 fleshes Summoner and Throw styles out more though.
Not terrible in terms of stats. Terrible in terms of how boring it is to play. I would really like minion AI and interactivity to be fleshed out to allow for more choices as to what to use.

Outside of the pirate staff being incredibly wonky, summoner was my favorite 1.3 legit play through completed as it offered the most challenge (dodge or die, pretty much). Still little quirks I'd like to see some attention on though (the gap in gear progression made things rough around plantera, but still doable).

Back
Top Bottom